Had my Titan for a week now, status

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I just wanted to say that I am pretty happy with the phone so far. The screen is great, the size is great, the build is great, the performance is great.

Specifically, tonight I went to look at a car with a friend in an unknown town/neighborhood. When we left, I realized I didn't know how to get back to the highway. I had music playing, but hit Maps, then the search icon, then the microphone. The phone was plugged into my aux input and my car isn't quiet but I said my address and zip hoping it would hear me. It heard me perfectly and I pressed enter to navigate. This is my first real experience with Bing maps while driving and it actually works pretty nicely, aside from the tap to hear next direction thing. I could have sworn it supported landscape mode but I can't seem to get it to work anymore. Maybe I need to restart. It also won't update the mileage to next turn unless you tap it. It also seems like maps should be better integrated with bing search, especially for automotive use (fewer taps).

Later in the drive, my wife called me. My music faded quickly but smoothly, and the ring tone came through the car audio. I pressed answer half expecting her not to be able to hear me, based on a thread I read here. Well, I heard her through my stereo and she was even able to hear me! When I hung up, the music unpaused and faded back up smoothly. Very nice. Oh, and I hear no pops at all when changing tracks. Though I guess it was in shuffle so I never initiated a track change. Not sure if that matters. I have a sub and heard absolutely no pop or thump whatsoever.

I haven't attempted to make a comprehensive "things that frustrate me" list, but here are a few:

1) I seem to have an inconsistent proximity sensor. Taking the phone away from my face, sometimes the screen comes on, sometimes not. This seems to play into the face down speakerphone mode also being inconsistent. Hopefully a simple patch.

2) I've had an issue with a game opening, then immediately acting like I pressed the back button (closing it). A reboot fixed it. I also had a similar problem going into a specific part of another app (or two), but this is fairly rare.

3) I do have the WiFi reconnection issue. It is inconsistent. Sometimes it will reconnect, other times it won't and I'll have to go into Settings, WiFi and tap my SSID. Honestly not a deal breaker, just a minor annoyance that is probably fixable.

I was hoping the signal strength would be better, but this is my first time with AT&T so I really have no means of comparison. My wife's Pantech Link II seems to get the same number of bars in my house, FWIW....

Battery life seems decent, though I'm not sure about people who claim to get over 24 hours with moderate to heavy use. Seems impossible to me. It DOES appear to have good standby time, so if I use it very infrequently during the day, I'll have like 80% at the end of the work day. I have no car charger or extra charger at work, yet.

There may be more but that's it for now...

aimfire72

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Another cool thing, the other night I was driving and had my Titan connected via Bluetooth to my car stereo. A text message came in and the phone alerted me "new message" through the stereo, and asked if I would like it read to me? So I said "read message" or something like that and it was read to me! It then asked whether I'd like to reply or not (I said no).

I had no idea this phone could do that, it was an awesome surprise! :)

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Another cool thing, the other night I was driving and had my Titan connected via Bluetooth to my car stereo. A text message came in and the phone alerted me "new message" through the stereo, and asked if I would like it read to me? So I said "read message" or something like that and it was read to me! It then asked whether I'd like to reply or not (I said no).

LOL! I had that happen at work and everyone was shocked by it. :D

jenashley

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site

I usually don't tell it to reply back because the couple times its done that, it gets it wrong. But it's nice to be able to tell it to call the person if it's important.

Sent from my T7575 using Board Express

5tephen

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You can turn that on to where it does it all the time and not just through bluetooth. I used it on my HD7 all the time and it worked pretty reliably as long as I was pretty close to the phone (a couple feet at most). It's definitely a very nifty feature. It's also funny hearing it try to pronounce certain people's names, especially since I'm in the Army and a lot of people are in there by their last name.

mdameron

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Where is the microphone button inside Maps?

EDIT: Found it. It's not in the "Directions" dialog within Maps, it's within the "Search" dialog.

MannLou

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
The turn by turn has been pretty amazing for me as well. I find the tapping to be fine because I can basically make it repeat as needed in case I missed it. If this is changes at least keep the tapping as an option. That would be helpful.

The TellMe functionality is great too. Texting someone without touching the phone is great when driving now that it's illegal to do so while driving and for good reason I might add.

dulciusEXasperis

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
The TellMe functionality is great too. Texting someone without touching the phone is great when driving now that it's illegal to do so while driving and for good reason I might add.

How do you get the phone to start asking you to read or write a message? Do you have to be hooked up to a car bluetooth or can use use a bluetooth earpiece? Can you do this without even using bluetooth?

Thanks.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Just long hold your home button and say 'Text' Name of Contact dulciusEXasperis

Options to get messages read without bluetooth are Settings / Speech / (Read incoming text messages aloud) is at the bottom. :)

Set it to always on if you want to play. :D

JONNO1

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Just long hold your home button and say 'Text' Name of Contact dulciusEXasperis

Options to get messages read without bluetooth are Settings / Speech / (Read incoming text messages aloud) is at the bottom. :)

Set it to always on if you want to play. :D
:lol::lol:This was such a good post it almost makes up for msft not having FLASH:)

MannLou

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Also, if speech is set to always on texts will always trigger the voice options. Then you can respond without typing. Not sure if that was mentioned or not.

Sent from my kick-*** Titan using Board Express

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Little update: Decided to listen to music on the way into work this morning. I still have no car charger or work charger, and I had no idea how much it would effect the battery. My drive to work is maybe 30-35 minutes and when I got to work, I had 98%, which I thought was pretty good.

Other things: I confirmed that even if I force a track skip, there is NO pop, click, thump or anything like that when changing tracks. This is great. I do not use the audio enhancements. There is no input clipping when I set the phone to 30/30, though the level may be higher than my HTC Touch Pro. Inferior audio systems may have trouble with a strong line out, but mine is fine with it.

Also, I noticed that if I unplug the aux cable with music playing, it will pause it for me, instead of blaring the music out of the speakerphone. My Touch Pro did this with Sense in WM6.5 and I thought it was a nice touch there. Glad to see it in the Titan (though it's probably all WP7 devices).

I did have some trouble with data service yesterday. Even with 1 or 2 bars the phone refused to do any data transfers, even after a restart. When I got home, I noticed the e-mail client said it hadn't connected in X many hours. It's a little disappointing that it refused to retry even after getting into a better service area. But when I clicked ok, I think it retried and was fine after that. But, this behavior MAY have a positive side effect of not totally draining the battery when in a very poor service area. I just wish it would figure itself out when the service is corrected.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Also, I noticed that if I unplug the aux cable with music playing, it will pause it for me, instead of blaring the music out of the speakerphone. My Touch Pro did this with Sense in WM6.5 and I thought it was a nice touch there. Glad to see it in the Titan (though it's probably all WP7 devices).

Yup, I think it's all WP7 devices. It's actually probably a feature of the Zune music client rather than the phone itself as I used to own a Zune HD and it would also do this. My Focus does it too.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Little update: Decided to listen to music on the way into work this morning. I still have no car charger or work charger, and I had no idea how much it would effect the battery. My drive to work is maybe 30-35 minutes and when I got to work, I had 98%, which I thought was pretty good.

Other things: I confirmed that even if I force a track skip, there is NO pop, click, thump or anything like that when changing tracks. This is great. I do not use the audio enhancements. There is no input clipping when I set the phone to 30/30, though the level may be higher than my HTC Touch Pro. Inferior audio systems may have trouble with a strong line out, but mine is fine with it.

I did have some trouble with data service yesterday. Even with 1 or 2 bars the phone refused to do any data transfers, even after a restart. When I got home, I noticed the e-mail client said it hadn't connected in X many hours. It's a little disappointing that it refused to retry even after getting into a better service area. But when I clicked ok, I think it retried and was fine after that. But, this behavior MAY have a positive side effect of not totally draining the battery when in a very poor service area. I just wish it would figure itself out when the service is corrected.

Kevm14: I have had data problems since about 12 hrs ago as well. Worked fine before that... crapped out sometime during the night, and is still problematic. Working great on wi-fi while I am at work. I am in the northeast... you?

jenashley

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Kevm14: I have had data problems since about 12 hrs ago as well. Worked fine before that... crapped out sometime during the night, and is still problematic. Working great on wi-fi while I am at work. I am in the northeast... you?

The news of this bad reception is really disappointing me. I guess I'll keep waiting for my backordered phone to show up and decide for myself whether it works well enough to keep or if I should get a different phone.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

Yup, New Englander here...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit