My Verizon Mobile

l_n

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I was digging around in the Android app source (don't ask) and found the URL for the My Verizon interface. https://mobile.vzw.com/hybridClient/index.html looks a lot like the interface that was seen in the previous version of the app (the buttons are a bit uglier (just text on a bar)). If you open that on your phone, you will need to turn it to landscape mode for it to render properly.

That URL should get some of us by with My Verizon until Big Red decides to give us a proper app, or someone finishes reverse engineering the Android app.

l_n

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
When Verizon "updated" the app, the WebView control they were using switched the page to a WAP page that is almost useless. So, I decided to see if I could do something a bit better. There's an article here on WPCentral about it, and the reviews for the app reflect the user dissatisfaction with the "update".

Jake_M

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Yeah when I first got my Trophy back in April, the My Verizon app was awesome. Now it's this really bad horrible awful thing and no one likes it. And it doesn't work on WiFi anymore.

l_n

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently working on finding a decent JavaScript scraping library so I can extract the needed data from the site. I'll then try to make a better version and either sell it to Verizon or pay the $99 AppHub fee and submit it myself. Dunno if I'll ever finish it, though (esp. if I can't find a c# JavaScript scraper).

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently working on finding a decent JavaScript scraping library so I can extract the needed data from the site. I'll then try to make a better version and either sell it to Verizon or pay the $99 AppHub fee and submit it myself. Dunno if I'll ever finish it, though (esp. if I can't find a c# JavaScript scraper).
Not sure what you mean by a "Javascript scraping library," but you might be interested in the Html Agility Pack:
Html Agility Pack

It's a really nice free open source C# library that I've used for scraping web pages. I've never used it for a WP project though. It looks like they don't have a WP binary but they have a WP project in the source so you can build it yourself.

l_n

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what you mean by a "Javascript scraping library," but you might be interested in the Html Agility Pack:
Html Agility Pack

It's a really nice free open source C# library that I've used for scraping web pages. I've never used it for a WP project though. It looks like they don't have a WP binary but they have a WP project in the source so you can build it yourself.
I need to extract the usage data from some client-side JavaScript. It should prove an interesting project.
I'll take a look at HTML Agility when I get to the house. Now to decide whether to sell my work to VZW or pay for an AppHub subscription...

Last edited:

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I need to extract the usage data from some client-side JavaScript. It should prove an interesting project.
I'll take a look at HTML Agility when I get to the house. Now to decide whether to sell my work to VZW or pay for an AppHub subscription...
I took another look at that site and looks like it provides its data in JSON responses. Is that what you're referring to?

In that case you might be interested in JSON.NET:
Json.NET

I would tread lightly when it comes to Verizon though. If they find out what you're doing they may try to shut your project down.

l_n

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I looked at the page source, and it pointed to CSS and JavaScript files. I snagged the mvm-min.js file and then formatted it. It was pretty illegible due to bad object naming. I'll dig more into it when I get home. Where did you see the JSON requests/replies?

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I looked at the page source, and it pointed to CSS and JavaScript files. I snagged the mvm-min.js file and then formatted it. It was pretty illegible due to bad object naming. I'll dig more into it when I get home. Where did you see the JSON requests/replies?
There are a few ways. If you use Firefox, there's an extension called Firebug that lets you view web requests and responses, among many other things. There's also a great tool called Fiddler that will work for any browser that allows you to do the same.

Fiddler Web Debugger - A free web debugging tool

It looks like the page is making a few different POSTs to get data. Look like the responses come back in JSON format and get put on the page by Javascript. You'll have to dig into it and figure out how it works, this is just what I saw from a minute of looking at it.

My guess is you won't find what you need in the actual javascript files. Those are probably just libraries that are minified to reduce the file size, hence the unreadable code.

l_n

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I think you're on the right track with the JSON based on what you've observed. It should be relatively easy (I say that now...) to read the JSON and compare the data to the site to figure out what numbers go where...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon