Lumia 640 Bugs & Defects

5700xm

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
re: Lumia 640 Bugs & Defects

i have the same issue, but after a lock/unlock it works fine again, lumia 640LTE AT&T GoPhone too.
i take an screenshot and looks great, so i cant show the problem..i think it's a hw problem.
is that an screenshot?

Last edited:

palealeguy

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

My 640 was golden for the past four months...no issues. In the past week, I've had to soft reset 3-4 times as it'll just freeze without warning. Also, sometimes my screen's color will be way off. Anyone having similar experiences?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

My 640 was golden for the past four months...no issues. In the past week, I've had to soft reset 3-4 times as it'll just freeze without warning. Also, sometimes my screen's color will be way off. Anyone having similar experiences?

I have had experiences with the color thing you are talking about.

ce_tx

May 7, 2015
Visit site

Noticed a stuck pixel yesterday. It's a red spot that varies in intensity depending on the color of the background. So small...but now it's all I see. :eck:

jkirim

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site

Lumia 640 doesn't work with recent updates of Whatsup App i.e images can only be sent when connected to Wi-Fi.

brusbrother

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site

Have 3 640s in the family. 2 stock and one on Insiders Win10. The Win10 phone gives a reading about bad charger/slow charging. The charger works fine on the other stock phones. I may have to experiment with reverting to Win 8.1 to see if the issue resolves.
Has anyone else run into this issue? Would save me the legwork. Thanks.

Gus Man667

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site

Hi, I've had my Lumia 640 LTE for a little over a week with no issues but I now have an issue with constant ghost taps or wipes on the screen. If I open the keyboard then phone will sit and type its own scrambled message or even if left on the lock screen you see the lock screen trying to swipe up wards. The problem started when I was listening to music, the phone would constantly keep turning the volume to 0 until I was unable to turn the volume up. I thought it might have been defective headphones but it appears the phone is the issue. It appears the left hand side of the screen is ok but the the bottom and center to right side get all the taps.

I've tried turning it on and off again, checked the screen for defects and wiped it with a dry screen cloth but nothing has stopped this. Any ideas?

I'm pretty gutted it's broken, hopefully there is a fix.

Barstow15

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site

Greetings. Long time reader. First time posting.

Here are the gremlins that I'm experiencing on my 640 which I purchased through AT&T in March of 2015. All of these have started two weeks ago. The phone was flawless prior- almost a year. The bugs are both app related and phone related.

* At times, MSN Money, MSN Weather, MSN News, MSN Sports apps live tiles turn to their respective [solid] color only- no text/info on tile

* If I tap on an image to save it while on the web or twitter or text message, etc. the image gets saved and appears in the camera roll/album (so far so good). But after a short period of time or after I put the phone away, when I return to use the phone, the image is no longer in the camera roll/album. The tile where the image was is solid gray.

* When opening up the MSN News app the app constantly asks if I want to be notified with breaking news. The setting is on YES. I always receive the notification twice at the same time. Annoying!

* At least in my experience, Twitter and Instagram Beta do not operate correctly when you move the app to SD storage. I moved both of these apps to phone storage. Both apps work very well.

* I used to be able to install a new app while the "Store new apps on my" setting was on SD card under Storage Sense. Not anymore. The setting is now on 'phone'.

* I have a 32gb SanDisk card. Sometimes it indicates that I have 500+ GB of storage on the card. Whoa! WTF??

* On the Windows Central app tile sometimes the number of new articles appears on the live tile and sometimes it doesn't when in fact there are new articles in WC. After reading the new articles I notice the tile lists new articles (with a number). I'll go back into the app and the articles are the same ones I just got through reading.

* I was using 6Tag instead of Instagram Beta because the app is much better than IB. All of a sudden the app would not remember my PW. If you are out somewhere taking pics and want to post them on the app you better know your PW by memory. This is very inconvenient. I deleted the app and went with Instagram Beta stored on the phone. 6Tag was on the SD card when I had the PW issue. I didn't move it the phone to see if this fixed the issue.

I do not believe my SD card is corrupted preventing my images that I save from the web, text messages, twitter, or pictures I actually take on my phone from not being saved in the camera roll/album since I have Spotify, Amazon, TuneIn Radio, Flipboard (I flip a lot into my mags), Metrotube, Flashlight, Duolingo and many others on the SD card. All of the apps on the SD card work well. You know, I don't know if this is a coincidence but my phone started acting up when I installed MeTweets. As it turns out I deleted it and went back with (regular) Twitter stored on the phone's memory.

Hopefully when W10 mobile arrives the upgraded software corrects these annoying issues. Any thoughts on the above? TIA

Diamond67

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site

All of these have started two weeks ago.

* At times, MSN Money, MSN Weather, MSN News, MSN Sports apps live tiles turn to their respective [solid] color only- no text/info on tile

Just wanted to say that I've had some problems with live tiles as well lately. Actually not with those MSN tiles you mentioned, but with local newspaper apps. I'm not sure what caused the situation, but some of the live tiles weren't properly updated for several days.

ce_tx

May 7, 2015
Visit site

Any tips on what to do about a stuck red pixel? I've tried the apps that flash different colors rapidly. I even sent the phone to Microsoft, but they sent it back with a letter stating that they could not replicate the problem, yet it's still there glaring at me. I wouldn't mind it if it were just a dead pixel, but it's bright red.

DEATH INC

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site

Any tips on what to do about a stuck red pixel? I've tried the apps that flash different colors rapidly. I even sent the phone to Microsoft, but they sent it back with a letter stating that they could not replicate the problem, yet it's still there glaring at me. I wouldn't mind it if it were just a dead pixel, but it's bright red.

I returned a few to Walmart for the same thing. Unfortunately if the apps didn't work, and you cant rub the area of the screen with a bit of pressure to fix it, then there isn't anything you can do aside from replace the screen. Honestly I would send it back again if possible and explain the issue while providing pictures of the pixel if you can.

ce_tx

May 7, 2015
Visit site

Well, phooey. I provided a pretty detailed explanation, plus I attached a little adhesive square to the screen with the red spot right in the middle of it. I'm wondering if it is software related, however, because the pixel isn't visible on the Microsoft boot screen, and it disappears as I swipe from my start screen to my apps list.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site

Well, phooey. I provided a pretty detailed explanation, plus I attached a little adhesive square to the screen with the red spot right in the middle of it. I'm wondering if it is software related, however, because the pixel isn't visible on the Microsoft boot screen, and it disappears as I swipe from my start screen to my apps list.

Of it is only on the start screen then it is software and not a stuck pixel.

shinig

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site

hello!I have a question about a weird think that happens at my l640..when i choose a contact to call the dialer dosen't show the name of the contact only the number!the same happens when i receive a call!on speciffic contact not at all of them..i have my contacts on gmail,i've done hard and soft reset but nothing happened!i'm on .63 fast tp any help?

ce_tx

May 7, 2015
Visit site

Of it is only on the start screen then it is software and not a stuck pixel.

It's not only on the start screen. It's just not on the boot screen or in that halfway area between my start screen and the apps list. The intensity of it everywhere within the UI changes based on what color I have my accent color set to. It's worst with indigo or cobalt as my accent color.

Video of its disappearing act when swiping between the start screen and apps list, which starts at about 18 seconds in when you see the Instagram tile.

Last edited:

mario1989

Jan 31, 2016
Visit site

Same problem here!!! tried to figure out even with a digital calliper whats wrong but i didn't found (perhaps my instrument is not so accurate) the only thing i found is that if i put the back cover of my old 535 (yes the bottom sides are similar enough to see the connector position through the hole) an guess it is perfectly alligned! so im am 99% sure it is a bad welded battery cover that causes all this issues (bending, bad fitting, bad connector positioning) i've ordered a new cover to check it out...

p.s. From the inner side of the cover you will see two vertical lines curved to the back facing at the connector hole, i believe that the hole should be exactly in the center of the distance of theese lines (mine isn't) ...we talk about a 0,5mm tiny production mistake but my ocd doesn't let me sleep at night because of that :grin:

WellingtonW

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site

Have 3 640s in the family. 2 stock and one on Insiders Win10. The Win10 phone gives a reading about bad charger/slow charging. The charger works fine on the other stock phones. I may have to experiment with reverting to Win 8.1 to see if the issue resolves.
Has anyone else run into this issue? Would save me the legwork. Thanks.

I've noticed that also. I think its just letting you know when its connected to a low powered charger. The chipset supports quick charging v1.0.

I find when I connect to a 850mA or higher I don't get the messsage. I usually charge it on a 1A charger. Seems to make it charge quicker. I've been thinking of getting a Quick Charger compatible one.

Looking at the battery app I use, it gives a different charging rate for different powered chargers. Probably not accurate but useful as a guide? I think one of my mine chargers had become faulty. It has 5 ports and all put one give this message. I intend getting USB tester to check my chargers. I think some were not charging devices probably anymore.

WellingtonW

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site

Hi Experts,

I bought New MS Lumia 640 from amazon on 08.11.2015. From the day one on-wards my phone was re-starts automatically at-least 6 times per day. So i returned my phone and received new phone. But again i face the same problem, this phones also frequently restarts. It going to flight mode and getting restart while on a call (not always, some times) and some times simply restarts without pressing any button. Also some times not getting mobile range at all even in hot of the city, its tends me to restart the phone, if i do then i am getting the mobile range. Its completely unusual. Please help me to resolve else i have to move to android. Please feel free to call me for further clarification.

Regards,

Navabarathi M, Cell : 8220 58 6663 / 850 875 1800

Mine doesn't do that. But its not hot where I live.

WellingtonW

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site

3. The vibrator motor on L640 disperse vibration inside the case and sometimes it is hard to hear the vibration if you are not in contact with phone. The L635 on the other hand gives you a focused vibration and therefore an effective way of alertness.

The vibration on my 640 is terrible. Almost never alerts you. I'll probably eventually stop using the 640 for the reason.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon