950 proximity sensor not working

jklier

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
First, could someone tell me where the 950's proximity sensor is located? I want to make sure my screen protector isn't covering it. It appears to be to the left of the camera. If that's the case then my problem shouldn't be the screen protector as whatever is to the left of the camera is not covered..

Whenever I dial a number my screen goes black as soon as I hit the call button. It does not wait until I put the phone up to my ear as my 920 and 640 do. I have to hit my power button twice to get the screen back. It's acting as if the proximity sensor is stuck on activated. I've been searching for an app or diagnostic code to confirm this but haven't found any yet.

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I have a similar situation. When I dialed my voicemail number (because VVM is not working) and entered the PIN with the phone at least 18 inches from my head, the screen turned off and touch was not recognized.
Lumia 950 Unlocked (AT&T carrier)

jklier

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I decided to pull off my screen protector and the proximity sensor now works. I guess it has not been cut properly. It's a Dmax Armor from Amazon if anyone is wondering. Really nice protector as I have it on two other phones but they obviously don't have this one right yet.

Can anyone tell me for sure where the proximity sensor is located so I can find a protector that works? I don't think it is to the left of the camera since that was uncovered. I think I can see something under the glass to the right of the Microsoft logo. This area was covered by the protector.

JR Messina

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Mine has worked fine with the ATT screen protector. It does have a second opening between the camera and the speaker along with a spot to the right of the speaker. Finally their is an opening on the far right slightly lower then the speaker. Not sure which is the proximity one though.

jklier

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Update on the screen protector. I processed a return for the Dmax Armor and got an email back a few hours later from the vendor. They said they would be sending me a properly cut replacement on Monday for free. Nice customer service!

Klaine243

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm having a slightly different issue in that mine wont turn the screen off when held to my face during a call.

It worked for a couple days after a reset, but has now stopped working again.

ANY IDEAS??

VSparxx

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a slightly different issue in that mine wont turn the screen off when held to my face during a call.

It worked for a couple days after a reset, but has now stopped working again.

ANY IDEAS??

Did you update recently to Creators Update by any chance ?

Klaine243

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Did you update recently to Creators Update by any chance ?

As of writing this I am on build 15063. I reset the device again Saturday and it is till working. I don't know how long it will last but I will try to log any changes in settings over the next couple weeks in case that has something to do with it.

VSparxx

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
As of writing this I am on build 15063. I reset the device again Saturday and it is till working. I don't know how long it will last but I will try to log any changes in settings over the next couple weeks in case that has something to do with it.
But did this behaviour start after upgrading to 15063 or was it present before too, as i'm in the same boat as you, with proximity, light and GPS sensors all not working after upgrading to this build, but reverting back to any other RTM builds is fine and all these work as expected.
I got mixed result with resets bringing those on for a day or two, then randomly the problem reappears, I couldn't track the problem to a specific program/feature as it always happened on different scenarios, once it even happened while I was browsing the Windows Central app, or on other occasions a reset will not even bring these on.
Going back to 10.0586 and then to 10.0.14393 is fine and all the sensors work as expected, but eventually the phone installs the latest build by itself so I find myself in this situation again.

Klaine243

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
But did this behaviour start after upgrading to 15063 or was it present before too, as i'm in the same boat as you, with proximity, light and GPS sensors all not working after upgrading to this build, but reverting back to any other RTM builds is fine and all these work as expected.
I got mixed result with resets bringing those on for a day or two, then randomly the problem reappears, I couldn't track the problem to a specific program/feature as it always happened on different scenarios, once it even happened while I was browsing the Windows Central app, or on other occasions a reset will not even bring these on.
Going back to 10.0586 and then to 10.0.14393 is fine and all the sensors work as expected, but eventually the phone installs the latest build by itself so I find myself in this situation again.

Funny Story.

It started when I was still enrolled as a fast ring insider. Then about a month or so before the creators update was scheduled it started happening to me. I then decided I didn't need to be on the bleeding edge anymore as I just couldn't handle the bugs that came with it anymore.

I dealt with the issue until the day the creators update was officially releases. At that point the issues had been resolved and I was happy... for about a week. That's when I did the first reset which fixed the issues. and then a few days after they showed up again. Another reset and problem solved.

I'm a little annoyed at the moment but {nock on wood} I'm still functioning as of today.

VSparxx

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Funny Story.

It started when I was still enrolled as a fast ring insider. Then about a month or so before the creators update was scheduled it started happening to me. I then decided I didn't need to be on the bleeding edge anymore as I just couldn't handle the bugs that came with it anymore.

I dealt with the issue until the day the creators update was officially releases. At that point the issues had been resolved and I was happy... for about a week. That's when I did the first reset which fixed the issues. and then a few days after they showed up again. Another reset and problem solved.

I'm a little annoyed at the moment but {nock on wood} I'm still functioning as of today.

Well usually all it takes me to trigger the process of leaving the sensors in a "non working state" is to install an additional language pack, as this triggers windows update and after phone reboots and installs the LP the sensors are dead.
I'm having this theory that a soft reset will do the same, but having my phone flashed like 5 times during the last 2 weeks i'm not very keen to test this now, as I want to enjoy a normal working phone for at least a bit.
Sigh...never thought I will have such debates over a finalised build which supposedly was tested, moreover I singlehandedly provided lots of feedback to the Feedback Hub regarding this issue ( when it started to happen on insider builds after anniversary update ( can't recall the exact build ).
I also got in touch with @MicrosoftHelps on twitter and guess what, they pointed me to the Feedback Hub, great...I feel this issue will just be scrapped as it's been here for months.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
First, could someone tell me where the 950's proximity sensor is located? I want to make sure my screen protector isn't covering it. It appears to be to the left of the camera. If that's the case then my problem shouldn't be the screen protector as whatever is to the left of the camera is not covered..

Whenever I dial a number my screen goes black as soon as I hit the call button. It does not wait until I put the phone up to my ear as my 920 and 640 do. I have to hit my power button twice to get the screen back. It's acting as if the proximity sensor is stuck on activated. I've been searching for an app or diagnostic code to confirm this but haven't found any yet.

This seems like a common issue. It is listed on the feedback hub a couple times. Mine does something similar. When I end a call and pull the phone away from my face the screen is black. I have to cycle the power button a couple times to see the screen again.

obakir

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
as if anything is reliable in the current state of the phone, worried about the proximity sensor? try making a phone call see how the phone becomes unresponsive. but wait there's a solution!! do a hard reset, four hail marry's, and then watch E.T.

VSparxx

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Well just to make it 100% , I did upgrade yesterday again to build 15063 from a perfectly working 14393 and on the initial boot the proximity, light and gps sensors worked, and all it took to kill these was a simple reboot, I did also install the cumulative update from yesterday, sensors still not working, so all in all I would say great job to the devs taking insider's feedback "seriously".

Klaine243

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Update!

Sensors were working up until the update which actually woke me up in the middle of the night at full brightness. Can confirm the sensors stopped working again. Funny how a "patch" can break these sensors.

One last reset i guess.

VSparxx

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Update!

Sensors were working up until the update which actually woke me up in the middle of the night at full brightness. Can confirm the sensors stopped working again. Funny how a "patch" can break these sensors.

One last reset i guess.

Don't bother reseting, we need a firmware update from MS to fix this as it seems the OS can't load properly the drivers needed for those to work after a reboot, as updating to 15063 and just rebooting the phone while on that build will make these sensors stop working.
Make sure to provide feedback on the feedback hub, as that's the quickest way we'll be heard.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes