WP7 Contacts & Outlook 2003 importing & Windows Live acct.

soundiepcm

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I use MS Office Outlook 2003 for Contacts & Calender only. _NOT EMAIL_.
My email is a webmail hosted by godaddy. I don't use the contacts there other than for email sending.

I was converting from Palm Pilot old software contacts to Outlook 2003 in the last year. It imported most things except for notes and I stopped at letter "G" for all of the notes for manual copy & pasting.
Do all of the notes in Office Outlook 2003 transfer to the WM7 Contacts?
I didn't want to have to redo my work if I continued copying & pasting from Palm software to Outlook's contacts notes.

Do all of the notes in Office Outlook 2003 transfer to the WP7 Contacts?
How easy is it to transfer all my contacts info from MS Outlook 2003 to a new Windows Live account with hotmail?
And for that matter if I set up a new Windows Live account how easy is it for me to import my MS Office Outlook 2003 contacts?
Will the notes import to Windows Live contacts?
I'm just trying to save doing the work twice if it doesn't work.

I'm also considering switching all my Contacts over to the cloud for good and was wondering if using Windows Live account (& hotmail) would be a good move. I do want to use Gmail or Yahoo products at all.
I was planning on getting the Windows Live Hotmail Plus - $19.95/year anyway for no ads. Does Live Hotmail have full-session SSL not just the login?
I also have a personal email account at fastmail.fm that requires another annual fee ($20.) that I like because it has full-session SSL. Should I keep my contacts there instead?
Maybe next year I'll get MS Office 2010 but unnecessary for the moment.

Any comments? thoughts?

siradude

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
If you have a godaddy domain and are using that for your emails you can still use it for your contacts and calendars by doing one of 2 things.

Get a free Gmail apps account and bind it to your domain records here:
https://www.google.com/a/cpanel/domain/new

or get a free Microsoft windows live domiain setup here:
https://domains.live.com/Signup/SignupDomain.aspx

Both do the same, replacing/redirecting your email mx records and using their service to handle your email accounts KEEPING YOUR CURRENT DOAMIN NAME!!!!

and its FREE!!!!!!

it does take advanced editing of your mx records via your godaddy account, but its not that hard.

Now you end up with yourdomain email example: me@yourdoamin.com and having all the features of gmail.com or live.com.

This avoids getting a new email and sending it to all your clients !!!

Once you have this cloud setup... just copy all your OUTLOOK contacts and calendars over to it (drag and drop) and VIOLA! You are now fully cloud enabled!

siradude

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm...

My bad, it seems that GMAIL and OUTLOOK are not as freindly as I thought and outlook does not seem to sync the contacts and calendars from my gmail domain. (on my last test with 2010).

So on the above post forget the GMAIL part and just stick with the Live.domains.com.

Funny thing is that while OUTLOOK 2010 did not grab my contacts and calendars from my gmail domain... the Windows Phone 7 did... go figure.

wmsmartphonekey

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Windows Live Contacts importing from Outlook Contacts

Funny thing is that while OUTLOOK 2010 did not grab my contacts and calendars from my gmail domain... the Windows Phone 7 did... go figure.

I exported my Contacts from MS Office Outlook 2003 to a CSV file.
Upon import to Windows Live account it said first the 500k file was too large.
The file you want to import is too large. Please delete some of the contacts and then try importing the file again.
I then opened the CSV file in Office Excel 2003 and removed half the names from N-Z.

I tried importing and got:
Phone numbers and websites can only contain English characters (a-z or A-Z), numbers (0-9), and specific symbols (such as @). Please try again.
Looks like I'm going to have to go through slowly and check the phone numbers and websites and make sure the data is as they specify...

siradude

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I exported my Contacts from MS Office Outlook 2003 to a CSV file.

Yeah the problem here is that OULOOK does not use the GMAIL's Contacts or Calendars, Oulook uses its own internal Contact and Calendar's when used with GMAIL, but outlook does use the Hotmai/Live.com's Contacts and Calendars

So, no need to export the contacts to a file if you make a new account with HOTMAIL/LIVE.com

Just Configure your OUTLOOK with your new account and drag from all contacts from one profile to another while holding the CRTL key so it does not move them and just copy them over.

Maybe you can make a TEMP Live account just to HOLD your contacts and calendars?

Otherwise maybe an export will be in your future?
:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes