Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WPmaniac4 25

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
re: Switching platforms|Thinking of leaving...comment here!

I am thinking of leaving, tried android l, there are no reasons to stay on windows phone, it's really been holding me back and since u have office on android a substitute to google services, plus I'm a heavy youtube user. I am sorry Microsoft and Windows Central but I am leaving : There is no reason for me to stay

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: Going to leave WP for an Iphone

I made the jump to a 6+ this weekend. As much as I hate to admit it, Outlook (Acompli) does indeed work better on the iPhone. AutoCAD 360 has finally been updated to be actually usable and CamScanner has also been tweaked. WP's version of CamScanner is still better than the iOS version but AutoCAD 360 doesn't exist for WP. I'm keeping my 1520 in my drawer for the day Windows 10 finally comes. I could sell it to offset the cost of the 6+ and the bottle of Preparation H associated with an Apple purchase, but I know I'd regret it. Keeping my fingers crossed.

On another note, the Missus and I joined two other couples this weekend for some spirits and dancing. In the midst of all this tomfoolery, my wife's friend picked up her Ativ S Neo, which she had never seen or heard of WP, and just went right through it snapping pics, shooting video, uploading to my wife's FB account and never once asked how anything worked. I'm talking about a woman who still uses a flip phone. I thought that was impressive and shows the ease of use with WP.
Hows the phone? Looking into apple as well. I've been using my fianc?s iPhone to do alot that I can't do on my WP !

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Going to leave WP for an Iphone

Hows the phone? Looking into apple as well. I've been using my fianc?s iPhone to do alot that I can't do on my WP !

It's only been a few days but so far so good. Battery life is pretty good (about the same as the 1520), it's good to have a dedicated mute switch like my beloved Palms all did and the apps I mentioned above work as they should. A real bonus I never thought about missing on WP is the HID bluetooth profile which allows me to use a mouse and keyboard when I'm on Remote Desktop. UX-wise, I miss having the capacitive back and search buttons and the Apple keyboard BLOWS!!! It ain't got nothing on WP and the predictive text is an afterthought.

I have a specific set of needs that WP wasn't providing so I switched. But I'll be honest, iOS ain't all that if it weren't for the app situation. If WP was even close, there would be no legitimate reason for leaving. The sad part is that the app deficiency is clearly more pronounced for business purposes. I can't wrap my head around that since WinMo was/is better than anything out even now for business/enterprise. I had a CAD viewer, PDF scanning and Network File Sharing on my WinMo devices, how sad is that?

Vicky Krishnatrai

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Why shall I stay with Windows Phone?

A question raised in my mind today that why shall I stay with windows phone? Looking no good features in windows phone but on other hand Android is working well. A huge app gape, Android have all microsoft featured Apps and a huge variety of Android OS device available in market. And in windows 10 for mobile is not looking so much good and no any ground breaking is coming in windows 10.
So, now why shall I stay with windows phone?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why shall I stay with Windows Phone?

I really dislike these questions. At the end of the day, you know why you shall stay or not stay.

I'm staying simply because android is awful to me and while I love apple, I want a native experience for Microsoft services. Not just apps that aren't made for full integration with the OS.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Put simply, it's your choice. Each of the three markets have their differences, it's up to the customer to choose what they're happiest with.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site

I really dislike these questions. At the end of the day, you know why you shall stay or not stay .

I agree totally. I also don't understand all the fuss about the apps WP do or don't have. Out of the hundreds of thousands they do have, I have found more than enough to suit my wide and varied needs despite being with Android since it appeared on the market. I think its absurd the way people get pulled in over the apps argument pushed by Android.

And the idea of Windows working seamlessly across all devices appeals to me too. We'll have to wait and see how well it integrates of course but for me there is no better OS out there and I think if a lot of people using Apple and Android devices gave it a try they would not want to go back. I've seen absolutely nothing that makes me want to trade in my Windows phone for anything else.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Some people use more than one type of OS... I LOVE Windows for Phones. Try an Android tablet for games and media consumption if you want to give it a spin. A new phone can always come later.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Ummm now m feeling to be with windows.

Glad to know.:cool:

But if you were looking for what others think makes them choose Windows Phone over other "competitors", then mine would be the user experience and customization options... and that other "competitors" seem to force the consumer to want what "they" want rather than giving what the consumers say they want. MS differs by opening their ears to consumer feedback, which is what Windows 10 preview is all about. I personally dislike the user experience in other "competitors", but if you have the liberty to try them out (in stores where there are demo phones) you can choose which among these platforms you like the best.

David Ta

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site

I decided to get rid of my Lumia 1520 in order to return to Apple device as iPhone 6. The very reason for my decision is that I have a feeling of that Microsoft disrespected me.

I have been a loyal fan of Nokia for many years, consequently, I made up my mind to leave my iPhone 4S for a Nokia device as Lumia 1520 early 2014. I never thought I would give up on my Lumia just after 11 month. Recently, Microsoft released the official Denim update and Finland customers are those who received it first. Then a lot of countries got the update including almost European regions, Thailand, Taiwan, Indonesia, etc,... However, my device is still yet to be upgraded.

I contacted the Microsoft Lumia Vietnam to ask for an explanation, one guy made me a call and we had a talk.
- "The Denim update is available to roll out in Vietnam but we delayed the release due to low internet broadband quality and carriers", said he.
- "Oh, my dear. My device is an international one and there is also no existence of locked devices in Vietnam, thus such problems mentioned would never apply. Don't you remember budget phones like Lumia 520, 525, 720, etc... all already got updated", I replied.
- That guy stopped talking and kept silent for awhile.
- "Is there any difference between an unlocked 1520 being distributed in my country and in other regions?", I continued to ask him.
- "Not at all", said he
- "As you said, one similar device, same price and one update, please enlighten me why I and other Vietnamese customers have always been to receive the update after other regions? Why can your rival Apple push out the update to all devices of its in just a day? I want to know if Microsoft adopted the strategy of discriminating customers? Because some Lumia 1520 owners in Vietnam weren't patient enough, so they flashed the original rom to the region Finland and their devices got the Denim", I kept asking him.
- "I have no idea, but I hope you will stay with us", he replied.
- "That's fine. We can stop here because I already knew the reason so well. Thank you so much for spending your precious time with me", said I.

I'm always willing to wait for something worth my patience no matter how long it takes. Nonetheless, Microsoft treated me like a fool, I realized this waiting game was nothing but a waste of my time. Therefore, I decided to quit because I don't wanna get insulted any more. I don't know how you guys really feel when you purchased a flagship device, and then budget devices and similar devices got updated excluding yours. Is it really comfortable at all? :eck:

Currently, I've been looking forward to the launch of Sony Xperia Z4. iPhone 6 is just for temporary use; it never satisfies me because its camera and music listening functions can never be compared with Sony devices. Only one thing I'm so sure now Lumia 1520 was the first windows phone smartphone I ever grabbed and it will also be the last one. I got a very valuable lesson "NEVER SAY YES TO WINDOWS PHONE". :smile:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Therefore, I decided to quit because I don't wanna get insulted any more.

Your rep was trying to explain the carrier situation but it doesn't sound as if you understood. If you read some of the previous posts you'll see where others, myself included, explained that just because a device is unlocked doesn't mean the regional carrier will sign off on an update. Apple only makes one phone model so it's less tedious to roll out updates. Still, carriers have to sign off on updates to make sure they're compatible with their network and they won't cause any harm. I think you're directing your disappointment at the wrong party, but you're certainly free to do whatever you choose. Your choice doesn't affect me in any way, but as a member of this forum I feel it is my duty to provide whatever knowledge I may have. As Capt. Kirk would say, "that is the Prime Directive".

David Ta

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site

My dear,
Thank for sharing your knowledge. However, I don't think regional carrier is a good reason to exempt Microsoft's responsibility from this matter.

Would you mind telling me where the update comes from? Directly from Microsoft server or regional carriers server? My Lumia 1520 was bought directly from an official distributor in Vietnam, and Vietnamese carriers never get involved in sale of Lumia 1520. I still don't understand how the carriers play an important role in rolling out update because they neither sell device nor give tech support and warranty service. :asleep:

Quite many windows phone fan told me you couldn't ask Microsoft to do as exactly as what Apple did because the Cupertino company only makes one phone model. I think Apple must-do job is not less complicated than that of Microsoft because it has to develop software for all models of iPhone (4S,5,5S) and tablets iPad (3,4,Air) and iPod touch 5th Gen while Microsoft only focuses on phone with different varieties. No one can tell exactly which company does a heavier job. Nonetheless, Apple always does a very good job in rolling out update as all of its devices can get upgraded in just one pre-determined date regardless of regions. Still I own an unlocked iPhone 4S - Singapore region which has been being used by my mother in Vietnam, and it received the iOS 8.0 since the release of OS and also got updated to iOS 8.1.3. :wink:

Perhaps, my expectation is too high for Microsoft to reach. The Redmond company is still a tech giant, however neither is its mobile division in comparison with Apple, Samsung or LG, etc... A big company never says something like we're done creating software, but when the update will be released is not our responsibility, it depends on the carriers. I remember in the presentation show of windows 10, Microsoft officials told audiences that the difference between Microsoft and Apple as FUTURE vs FASHION, meaning that Microsoft's technological capabilities exceed Apple's. That really makes me laugh. :cool:

I think if you fail to give your customers equal treat, this is absolutely your fault. Don't blame it to anyone else but yourself. Obviously, Microsoft does not care about its users much unless the Redmond could have gotten the situation better. :wink:

Thus, I chose to quit and I also never grab to any Microsoft brand smartphone. I loathe to enjoy such never-be-worse experiences again. I used to think I wanted to be as loyal to Microsoft as I was to Nokia. I realized I'm totally wrong.

Regards.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

^it seems as though you made up your mind in spite of explanations already posted. Good luck.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

If you read some of the previous posts you'll see where others, myself included, explained that just because a device is unlocked doesn't mean the regional carrier will sign off on an update.
You're right of course, but could it be that David Ta isn't really talking about an unlocked device, but rather about an unbranded device? Unbranded devices don't require the carrier to sign off on an update. In most countries there is no such thing as a locked smartphone, so many people outside the U.S. don't understand that there is a difference. Could that be the misunderstanding here?

- "The Denim update is available to roll out in Vietnam but we delayed the release due to low internet broadband quality and carriers", said he.

If the MS rep didn't ask you for your device's firmware/country/carrier variant information, then he can't tell you why Denim is still not available to you. For all he knows you may have imported a device from another country, in which case the broadband quality and the carriers in Thailand are completely irrelevant.

If you have a carrier branded device, then you should be mad at your carrier, not MS. Otherwise you're probably right to blame MS.

David Ta

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site

Dear friend,

Thank you for your reply. Previously, I thought unlocked/unbranded/international versions of some device were the same but they are not. :smile:

In my post, actually I mentioned the unbranded/international device which would never be restricted by carriers. In my country Vietnam, iPhone has been the best selling device since 2010, that's why carriers only sell iPhone with a 1-year contract, however, the price is so high and fixed at around 850 USD. With such a high price, Vietnamese carriers don't dare to take risk of selling unlocked/locked device in order that they can't compete with smuggled phones which are sold at lower price. If you don't want a contract, you have 2 options to possess this device, buying from a official retailer at 890 USD or grabbing a cheaper smuggled one.

Lumia 1520 and other smartphones are totally unbranded and get distributed in official retailers but not via carriers. The only difference between smuggled and officially distributed devices is warranty. I spent 4 years in Singapore, the government here bans the carriers from supplying unlocked/locked devices to their clients. Thus, only unbranded smartphones are allowed in Singapore, the solely bond between carriers and clients is 2-year contract. Similarly to Vietnam, unbranded/international iPhone in Singapore is overpriced at round 850 USD.

My Lumia 1520 is an international one, and it has not received the Denim while the owners of the same device in Finland, Thailand, Indonesia, etc,... all received it. Especially in Indonesia, Lumia 1520 owners has received the latest build of Denim (8.10.14226.359) while the current build (8.10.14219.341) has not rolled out to a lot of devices. The only solution for those who want to grab the Denim like me is to flash the original rom from Vietnam to regions which are eligible for the update like Finland. :straight:

Before I had a talk with a guy from Microsoft Lumia Vietnam, I had submitted my ID/Microsoft account/Firmware/carrier variant to them. Still I don't understand why that guy blamed the low internet broadband quality and carriers for the delay of Denim update. He said as if he came from a different universe. Vietnamese carriers never sell any Lumia device since Nokia introduced its products in Vietnam. Only iPhone and iPhone. Perhaps, he thought I knew nothing about Lumia phones and just wanted to calm me down by giving me useless explanations. :eck:

Lumia smartphones distributed in Vietnam are absolutely unbranded/international versions. Currently, budget devices such as Lumia 520, 525, 620, 625, 720 and 1320 - Vietnam region are those which got updated just a little bit after unbranded Lumia 1520 - Finland region. Last week, I gave so much thought on whether I kept playing waiting game with Microsoft or changed my 1520's rom to somewhere else to grab the update? Finally, I came out with the choice of giving up on my 1520 because I couldn't persuade myself either to waste my time to play this game or to spend efforts to flash the rom. It did not make any sense. I paid the similar price for the same device but my 1520 has been always received the update after other regions. This is the second time Microsoft failed me since the Cyan update. I think Finland and other regions who received the update first are deeply favored by the Redmond giant, so the company always gives them the priority. :eck:

Earlier last year, I spent 800 USD to become an *****. 11 months later, I spent another 850 USD for an iPhone 6 in order not to be an ***** anymore. I'm grateful to Microsoft so much because they make me wiser. Thank you. Microsoft. :evil:

Last edited by a moderator:

Piratelooksat40

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

I agree totally. I also don't understand all the fuss about the apps WP do or don't have. Out of the hundreds of thousands they do have, I have found more than enough to suit my wide and varied needs despite being with Android since it appeared on the market. I think its absurd the way people get pulled in over the apps argument pushed by Android.

And the idea of Windows working seamlessly across all devices appeals to me too. We'll have to wait and see how well it integrates of course but for me there is no better OS out there and I think if a lot of people using Apple and Android devices gave it a try they would not want to go back. I've seen absolutely nothing that makes me want to trade in my Windows phone for anything else.

That is exactly what I thought until I switched. It is amazing, I can actually do my banking on my phone with an app, I can listen to siriusXM on my phone with an App, I can facetime, snapchat and actually use any native app. My outlook experience is better on the iPhone than the Windows phone. I really did not know what I was missing in terms of apps, until I made the switch.

I am not encouraging anyone to switch. I actually would love to see Microsoft succeed. If I could get the app support and a good music organizer/player I would come back in a minute. I sincerely hope this problem get's fixed. But by saying the apps are good enough, does not incite rapid change on Microsoft's part. They need to find a way to run iPhone or Android apps on their phone. They do that and they solved a big hole.

denispage

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site

I'm really thinking about exchange my Lumia 1520 for an iPhone 6.
The MS update process is a shame, a total shame. We can try to argue listing 10000 arguments. But the fact is, Apple does a MUCH BETTER job in update spacing.
I'm using Windows Phone since the release, my first one was the Samsung Focus.
Despite the huge gap of apps, companies giving up with their apps (like bank of America, American airlines ,etc), I always loyal to the platform, but it's sad to see, after years, MS CAN'T delivery an update globally like Apple.
I'll wait until the end of feb, if still no Denim for my unlocked operator free 1520, I'll get an IPhone 6 in Canada.
Sad to say that after all these years...

Last edited:

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site

Unbranded 1520? Where did you get it from since it doesn't sound unbranded at all.... I mean they're multiple regions and carriers that gave out the Denim update for the 1520 already so it's odd that you didn't get it.

Of course you could say that Apple updates are better since they control everything related to their products. If they didn't then the carrier couldn't carry the iPhone (part of some agreement I assume)

denispage

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site

Unbranded 1520? Where did you get it from since it doesn't sound unbranded at all.... I mean they're multiple regions and carriers that gave out the Denim update for the 1520 already so it's odd that you didn't get it.

Of course you could say that Apple updates are better since they control everything related to their products. If they didn't then the carrier couldn't carry the iPhone (part of some agreement I assume)
Unbranded I meant operator free.
The reason that MS can't update faster could be many, I do understantd, many versions, many operators, testing, etc ,etc, etc. But the reallity is: Apple does a MUCH better update process, and that's matter for the customerr. Update is a strong reason that I'm planning to change to an iPhone. And believe me, I'm not happy doing this. But I don't want to waiting "in the dark" my updates, receiving answers like: Is comming. Just wait. Few weeks, etc, etc ,etc.
If you think, that's the way to care about a customer, I do respect, but I'm getting tired of this.

Last edited:

Jean Sagarese

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site

I have 206 more days and then I will be back at Apple that is where I was before, no problems with them, may upgrade the desktop but not sure. I don't know if I will get a iPad but if I do it will be the mini. Apple Pay already supports the one and only credit card I use unlike the Softcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonkalas