Cannot Decide Between Devices (Verizon, US)

jridgers

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I really really really want a new Windows Phone 8 device and get rid of my iPhone 4 once and for all. Verizon is the best carrier in my area and the carrier I currently use. I'd rather not jump to AT&T just for a particular phone model.

- I'm not the big in to apps and downloading music. I have two apps now on my iPhone (Pandora and a card game).
- I text a lot and check occasional emails on my phone.
- I take the occasional picture of the cat doing something stupid, but nothing serious.
- I don't really do that much else except for talking. Which, I'm hearing impaired so a device with EXCELLENT clarity is paramount for me.
- I've always had Nokia flip phones in the past and was generally happy with them (except for the last one before my iPhone, it was crap).
- Money really isn't an issue either. I just want a quality device that isn't going to feel cheap or fall apart in a year.

Created a poll, let me know what you think I should do.

bxr4t

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I have had my 822 for almost 2 weeks and I absolutely love it. All of the voice quality reviews of it being "O.K." I find to be crap because when my wife and I talk to each other (we both have the 822), it is a lot clearer than our previous phones. Honestly, room for additional storage (for maps) and a super long battery life is what I was looking for and I feel like I got a huge bargain by getting the 822. I do exactly what you do with my phone, I just watch some netflix now and then. I wouldn't change my 822 for anything.
Have you been able to check them out in the store? When we went in to purchase our phones, my wife had no idea what she wanted. Simply holding the 822 is what did it for her. She loved that it had a quality feel instead of cheap plastic like some of the android devices.
Your experience may vary once you get your hands on the actual devices, but honestly, I think you would really like the 822.

fusioncept

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
The only device that is even remotely superior to the 822 right now (on WP at least) is the 920. And even that isn't fully because it doesn't have a removable battery or an SD card slot (which come in handy)

The 822 is a fantastic device. Get it.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I've had the 822 since it came out. I handle the phones for our business and have gotten four other 822's users. I have not had any complaints and some are minimal users.

I don't know who is spreading the rumor that call quality is not that good because that is just not true for these phones. Perhaps someone had a bad phone or bad signal, but I nor my other users have had ANY issues with call quality. Battery life is great, screen is gorgeous, it feels good in that hand and I have dropped it a number of times (on tile and blacktop) and everything is good.

Edward_g

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I've had the 822 for over a month now and I'm still impressed.
It's not that I had a problem with Android and Google but it was time for a change.
This phone feels just right and the screen size seems perfect and its beautiful. I'm glad I didn't go for the bigger screen phones. I was worried at first but no regrets whatsoever.

absonj

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm running the HTC 8X. Absolutely love it. Screen is clear and crisp, beats audio works fantastic. Although not when using phones speakers. However, 15 volume level is really loud.

Call clarity is pretty good. I have not had any problems with hearing, and my wife hasn't complained about hearing me since I got this phone.

Since you don't do music or apps, storage shouldn't be an issue for you.

I'm also with Verizon, and they have a trial period. Check out a windows phone, and if it doesn't work well for you after 15 or 20 days, return it and try another. They should be more than willing to help you find a phone that works well with you and your hearing.
Sent from my {wicked sexy HTC 8X windows phone} using Board Express

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
A more thorough breakdown - HTC Windows Phone 8X vs Nokia Lumia 822 - Phone specs comparison

It's hard for me to recommend the 8X because I've been burnt by HTC's poor customer support. And there are other issues, like the inferior app selection on the 8X and reports of the coat peeling. However, the 8X is the clear winner in hardware with a superior screen, cameras, and weight. Though not to be discounted, the 822 has several advantages of its own. It has expandable memory (up to 64GB), exclusive apps like Nokia Drive and Nokia Music, and Nokia's customer support is rock solid.

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Given the device support that Nokia has consistently demonstrated with the current, and older, Lumia models, not to mention their pioneering IP regarding Telephony and antenna's, I would recommend Nokia. And while you may not be heavily into apps, Nokia creates some very useful apps with features not currently built into the WP Operating System.

At the end of the day, I'd say visit Verizon a few times to handle each device, and by the time you are ready to purchase one, hopefully, you will be firm on your decision.

P.S. You may even be able to sell your iPhone to help fund the purchase of your new WP device :)

ImAdrian23

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'd go for the 8X (as I have it xD). Why? Because it is the best Windows Phone duh... The only thing that I'd like is Nokia's love & their lenses, but 920 is way 2 expensive in my country.
8X is 8X times better than 820. It looks 8X better and has better specs. Just touch them both.

I haven't got any issues with my 8X so far (no peeling, no reboots, anything). However it came defective from the fabric. Upon activating the bluetooth, it'd restart until the battery'd die (but I never seen any complaints simmilar to mine on these forums, so for sure it was a stupid factory mistake :p).
The only thing that bothers me is the battery. It barely keeps me 1 day (but then again, I'm a fan of the white background and tons of live tiles).

jridgers

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I don't know who is spreading the rumor that call quality is not that good because that is just not true for these phones.

I read on CNET in their review of the Nokia Lumia 822 that "scratchy call quality detract from the Lumia 822's overall appeal." You can read the full review, here.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
The two advantages the 8X have over the 822, Beats Audio and an HD screen, seem liked they'd be lost on you. I went with the 822 and I think it's a great phone. But get into a store and feel the 822 and 8X for yourself and see which feels better. That's what I find more important. I've been happy with the call clarity, the build, and the performance of my 822.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I read on CNET in their review of the Nokia Lumia 822 that "scratchy call quality detract from the Lumia 822's overall appeal." You can read the full review, here.

I would never trust only CNET. If multiple reviews say it then it's probably true, but my 822 works great and from what I've read it's the same with others.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
One suggestion to consider. If and when you visit your local Verizon store, ask for the Windows Phones. If you don't most sales people will steer you to Android and the Apple. I have had the 920 on AT&T and the 822 on Verizon. The 822 does what I want day in and day out. I haven't had one reboot, call quality is great and the extra storage capacity comes in handier than you can imagine. I voted in your poll for the 822 and can't go wrong.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Needless to say, my vote goes for the 822. I've had mine for two months and really love it. The OS needs some polishing but it's really good as it is.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Definitely get a Nokia 8xx phone. Nice thing is expandable memory. Sure the Samsung has it, but I see no point of getting it since it's specs don't appear to be any better than the Nokia's. Had it been the Ativ S...

Besides it being uncomfortable to hold to my ear (Haven't found smartphone that is comfortable) it has pretty good sound qualities.

jridgers

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to the Verizon Wireless store today to get my hands on these phones and see which one I like the feel of better. I'm leaning towards the 822. I was thinking of waiting until February to see if anything else comes out for Verizon, but the 822 already has everything I'm looking for - what would a 920 on Verizon do for me that isn't already meeting my specifications in the 822? And if I wait and get disappointed I don't want to guilt myself in to waiting another month and another month...

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon's 822 would be my choice, I've had for 2 months now never had any problems. Check out the forum's a lot more problems with other makes and models. At one time it was free$$
Good luck with your choice.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Chances are that Verizon will be getting an offshoot of the Nokia L920. Rumored to be the 922. Not sure, but I can see that happening. Now if only TMO got a 910.

jridgers

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I got the Nokia Lumia 822 yesterday and I'm very happy with my purchase. Little bit of a learning curve coming from an iPhone 4 but not much. Thank you for everyone that put in your two cents.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes