Display Port Audio?

raymondromero

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I traded my Surface RT for a Surface 3 yesterday and I love it so far. However, when I hooked it up to my tv all i could get was video on the tv, with the sound still coming out of the Surface 3. I clicked on the volume icon in the system tray and there was no device option for my tv. anyone else try this yet and can confirm that this should work or not? I'm fairly certain i had audio out with my Surface RT with whatever HDMI thing i was using.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
The mini displayport does support audio out, but the cable you're using may not (I'm assuming you have a mini-DP to HDMI cable?).

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Should work on any TV with an HDMI connection. Have you tried restarting your Surface with the TV attached? Also, just to confirm, if you right click on the volume button in the taskbar and select "Playback devices", only "Speakers/Headphones" shows up?

raymondromero

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I haven't tried restarting while connected, I'll try that and see if it works. and you're correct about playback devices from the task bar. thanks!

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Let me know how it goes. I'm hoping to get a Mini-DP to HDMI adapter soon, will test it out when I get it.

raymondromero

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Will do, I'm still at work now but I think I may have figured out the issue. The aux port on my tv that is associated with the HDMI jack that I was plugged into has a cable in it. I think that may be why it wasn't showing up, the aux was overriding it. I'll let you know, but the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking this is due to user error :-/

raymondromero

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
so i just tried it with the cable not plugged into the aux port on the tv and i tried restarting while connected to the tv as well. no audio whatsoever out of the tv. just video. any suggestions? Speakers/Headphones seems to be the only option i see for playback devices.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
so i just tried it with the cable not plugged into the aux port on the tv and i tried restarting while connected to the tv as well. no audio whatsoever out of the tv. just video. any suggestions? Speakers/Headphones seems to be the only option i see for playback devices.

Hmm, have you checked the TV options? Maybe there's a setting that has the audio set to another source?

raymondromero

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
i'm hooked up now and checked all of my tv settings, i don't see anything about audio except for audio out from the tv. i also unplugged my blu-ray player from the hdmi port it was using and plugged the S3 into it, still no luck.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
This may be a long shot, but in Playback devices, if you right click and select "Show disabled devices" does anything show up? Otherwise I'm unfortunately out of ideas :(

raymondromero

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
hah no prob, I tried that too. no such luck. thx for the tips tho. I'm starting to think I got a bad adapter. I'll try to get my hands on another and see if that does it. thx again.

P_Devil

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Try a new adapter as I know the Surface 3 outputs audio via the mini DP port. I have an HDMI monitor at my desk with built-in speakers (they're awful). I then have a set of speakers that I plug into the monitor's headphone out port, those are what I really use. Anyway there is only a single connection to my monitor and that's through HDMI. Audio is being played out of the monitor's speakers and my external speakers without issues. I have an adapter that I purchased off of Amazon about 5 years ago for my (then) MacBook Pro. It doesn't have any branding on it, it's just white.

smallzfsu

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
Just a heads up to anyone having this problem. I am running the Surface Book i7, with a GE mini display port to HDMI adapter (10873), mono-price HDMI cable, run to an LG TV model 42LD462C. At first connect, it was _not_ playing Audio. The TV showed in the connected devices section, but did _not_ show under playback devices (even while showing disabled devices). Upon rebooting the Surface Book with the TV connected, it now shows under playback devices. Audio works great.

Gonzax

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Same problem, same solution as Smallzfsu. I simply restarted the surface with everything connected and now I get audio and video

faaizibrahim

Jul 12, 2017
Visit site
I traded my Surface RT for a Surface 3 yesterday and I love it so far. However, when I hooked it up to my tv all i could get was video on the tv, with the sound still coming out of the Surface 3. I clicked on the volume icon in the system tray and there was no device option for my tv. anyone else try this yet and can confirm that this should work or not? I'm fairly certain i had audio out with my Surface RT with whatever HDMI thing i was using.

I know it sounds fairly simple, but this worked for me. Try restarting your computer with the HDMI plugged in. I have a Surface Book connected to a Sony XBR. Upon restarting, "Sony TV" popped up in my playback devices. I set that as my default and tadaa!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes