Battery drain with cover closed?

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I started this morning with a full 100% charged. I used it for 5 minutes and closed the cover. Then 4 1/2 hours later it was at 19%.

I was under the assumption it went to sleep with the cover closed.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Oh, you didn't mention it had 10. It might be abug with 10. However, it could also be a fluke. See if it occurs again.

enixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
There is a very well known and documented driver glitch with Surface devices and Windows 10. Microsoft and Intel are both working on it, I'm sure it will be fixed by the 29th.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Is the surface being carried or stored in a bag? There's a sensor on the front. If the cover is pulled away (opened) from the surface of the surface, it can cause the machine to wake up. They designed it so that if you close the cover, it's supposed to put the machine to sleep. But the reverse is also in effect.

I've had this happen a number of times with my surface machines when carrying in my backpack or briefcase. One time in a quiet room, I heard a whirring. I open my bag, saw the light seep between the cover and the machine. The machine was hot because it was running in my enclosed backpack.

The bad thing is the machine will eventually go back to sleep while in the bag so you may never notice it except for battery drain.

My solution was to make sure the cover is not attached to the machine OR to make sure that if the cover is attached, that it can't open while in the bag.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Interesting, thanks for the tip. Mines was flat on my desk the whole time. So It's probably another 10 glitch. But I'll watch out for that. I do carry stuff in my gym bag.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm experiencing a similar thing today. Let home with 100%. Just opened it up and it's 73% with 3 hours of estimated time left. So far it's worse than my old dell laptop. Hope it's just Win 10 issues. I'll do shutdowns from now on.

SCM

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I experienced the same battery drain issue yesterday. Any chance MS is downloading 10 onto the devices ahead of time and this is causing this sudden increase in battery usage?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I experienced the same battery drain issue yesterday. Any chance MS is downloading 10 onto the devices ahead of time and this is causing this sudden increase in battery usage?

I suppose it could, its pulling a lot of data down, although I don't know how big of a dent it'll make.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It if goes full tilt on a fast connection not much but if the download runs slow it may eat the battery more. I've never seen a normal download of a few gigs drain a battery.

Also, Win 10 still has the screen brightness bug. It doesn't do anything other than 100%. Sometimes I need to shield my eyes when one of those all white screens come up. Going from a dark desktop to the settings screen is a rude awakening. But that shouldn't change anything battery related with the cover closed.

bockersjv

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I have Win 10 on my Surface 3 and the battery life is terrible. This is the proper win 10 release. Battery life estimates show no more than 2hrs left even with 100% charge. That is 7hrs less than I get on my Surface 3. I suspect mine is affected by using the surface 2 keyboard but that figure is still very poor.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Since having a MS store reload Windows 10 the problem has gone away. I was in shock as I had my Surface 3 sleeping for 24 hours (with WiFi in sleep set to on) and it was at 85%! That is absolutely incredible.

A few other issues cleared up as well. I wish I knew what they did to fix my S3 and why the original Windows 10 update got it so messed up..

lanypr

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Since having a MS store reload Windows 10 the problem has gone away. I was in shock as I had my Surface 3 sleeping for 24 hours (with WiFi in sleep set to on) and it was at 85%! That is absolutely incredible.

A few other issues cleared up as well. I wish I knew what they did to fix my S3 and why the original Windows 10 update got it so messed up..

I did the reset through the menu in windows 10 to try to fix the battery problem and I got boot loop. Then I downloaded the recovery image from the support page in microsoft and reinstall win 8.1. Then I reinstall win10 through windows itself and so far the battery drain problem while at sleep seems to be hone and also the toch screen bug when the pen is used for long period of time the screen recognizes the touch as a right click disappear as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon