SOLVED: Has anyone been able to drive a 21:9 monitor successfully from a Surface Book?

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
EDITED TO ADD:

FIXED: I finally have full width 2560 x 1080 display after substituting an ACTIVE mini-DP adapter for Microsoft's own mDP adapter. In order to make full use of the connectors and cables already on hand, there is also an HDMI > MD 1.2 adapter in between the HDMI cable coming out of the monitor and the mDP adaptor plugged into the Surface Dock. Blackouts are also much reduced, but I have experienced one in the 10 minutes I have been exploring screen functionality since getting the new connection established. Display duplication, extension, and the screen 1/screen 2 choice all work fine now. But why can't Microsoft just build a damn dock that would let the screen run properly without forcing the customer into buying extra adapters? (Especially after selling me an adaptor that couldn't cut the mustard in the first place.)

ORIGINAL POST BELOW:

I recently picked up a 34" LG monitor and have had nothing but disappointment from it when attached to a Surface Book. When attached to my original Surface Pro and my later SP3, the monitor functions perfectly at max res of 2560 x 1080 and works either as a primary or extended display. On the Book, it won't display at a res above 1920 x 1080, which leaves black areas left and right on the screen. Display settings allow me to call for 2560 x 1080 (recommended) but Apply won't change the display and I get the red-letter message that the settings cannot be saved. There are additional problems depending on whether I plug the monitor directly into the Book or run it through one of the display ports on the Surface Dock. Sometimes I can extend the displays from Book screen to LG, but mostly I have to choose between Screen 1 and Screen 2. The random nature of these problems is making it hard to diagnose an underlying difficulty. I also get two- to four-second blackouts on the external monitor every two to five minutes when the display is loafing and much more frequently when scrolling through large web pages or moving from tab to tab.

I'd really like to hear that somebody else is successfully driving an ultrawide monitor from a Book, because that would give me hope that my machine can be used as I want to use it. If this turns out to be a universal problem, the Book (which I otherwise very much like) is going to be demoted to my secondary machine and I will go back to the SP3.

Last edited:

itschrisanderson

Jan 9, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for your post. Can I inquire which HDMI -> MDP active adapter you're using? Going to be hooking up my 34" LG widescreen monitor also and want to make sure I minimize trial and error here. I have a Surface Book, Surface Dock so the HDMI will be coming out of the monitor, then into the adapter, which will then go into the MDP port on the back of the Surface Dock.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon