Boot time takes over two minutes?

Rayaarito

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Every time I start the computer from a complete shut down it takes so long to boot. It has been taking over two minutes. I just got this in the mail two days ago. Do you guys think i should return it?

RicKaysen

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I can't speak for others obviously, but mine boots in seconds. Every time I start it up, I'm surprised by how fast it's ready to use compared to my big, over spec'd desktop. I never let my SP4 sleep or hibernate and prefer to shut down completely when not in use. If this continues to happen to yours, I'd consider exchanging it.

RichBrown68

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Not sure if you've added a lot of start-up programs, but yeah, 2 minutes is not normal. On my SP4, I just timed it with a clock's second hand. From the time I pressed the start button until I get to the lock screen was 24 seconds. From the time Windows Hello recognized me to go from the lock screen to the main desktop was another 5 seconds. Total boot-up time: 29 seconds, the best I've ever had on any device.

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I read somewhere that there is a bug with the Type Cover. Sometimes boot times are long with the type cover attached and very short when it is disconnected. Maybe you can try that and see if that is the case with your machine also.

BCL_WA

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Are any updates being applied during this time? It does take windows time to bootup/shutdown when updates are getting applied. You have to allow it to complete.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I read somewhere that there is a bug with the Type Cover. Sometimes boot times are long with the type cover attached and very short when it is disconnected. Maybe you can try that and see if that is the case with your machine also.

This is true. I have the same boot up time whenever I have the type cover attached. It's just a software issue.

Jubz

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
This is true. I have the same boot up time whenever I have the type cover attached. It's just a software issue.

Same here. Boot time really slow when type cover attached and folded under. When the cover is removed or swung forward during 'hanged' boot, the boot resumes back to normal. I'm on my 2nd SP4 & type cover 4 just to make sure it was not defective hardware; seems like a software/driver issue.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Just tested it:
On battery with Keyboard in normal position. 15.6 seconds from power button to Desktop, including the "Hello Sequence". (Man I LOVE Hello)

On Battery with Keyboard folded under. 2 minutes and 31 seconds! Holy cow. I'll NEVER do that again. Almost gave up.

On battery, Keyboard detached. 15.3 seconds including "Hello"

So, my conclusion is you will throw this thing out the window if you try booting it up with keyboard folded back. :)

RicKaysen

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Wonder why folding the cover back would make such a big difference. Oddly, having done it just that one time as a test, when the tablet finally booted, I had no bluetooth mouse connection or WiFi. I had to reboot to get them back....coincidence?

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My guess is that the "state" of the Surface is altered with the keyboard folded under. And as such, there is a "bug" in the boot sequence. I suspect there is a delay while a software timeout must occur before the next step continues. I also would bet it will be addressed by the coders at some point.

I wish there were ONLY these kinds of bugs for early adopters, being that this bug is user avoidable. :)

Rayaarito

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Just for those curious, I called customer service. They told me to hold the power button and up volume button at the same time till it booted me into UEFI screen. As soon as i get there, don't do anything but then shut down the computer by holding the power button for thirty seconds. Then boot it up. It booted up in 10-20 seconds this time. Tried again, boots up in 10-20 seconds consistently.

I'm not considering it fixed till it's like this for a week. I'm extremely wary about that 'fix' since i didn't actually do anything. Anybody have any ideas as to what i'm doing internally by booting up the UEFI screen and just shutting it down?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb