Battery Wear

superlawyer15

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
So, my surface went from reporting 0% wear to 5% then back to 0% and now to 7%

What should I make of this?

I called Microsoft and the rep said it should settle around 5% and hold there for some time but my experience with laptops past is much different.
The wear would slowly rise from 0% to 10% over the course of a year.

What do you guys think?

jpw21683

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I would just keep an eye on it. If it starts getting considerably worse quickly, then you should be concerned.

I don't know how Battery Bar measures this, and/or how accurate it is. I've had brand new laptop batteries start at 10%.

superlawyer15

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if its a sensor issue (cant be an app issue because all report the same thing) or a battery issue.

every time I plug it in it charges to the full MaH, and then the battery reports it has 0% wear
it is only when the battery gets to 30%/40% that it begins to report any wear

Jrexxx

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
I have the same thing when I use battery bar on my macbook pro running bootcamp, and I think that I've figured out the reason for this: The battery usually doesn't charge up to 100 %. This is a feature that gives the battery a longer life time because lithium based batteries don't like to be fully charged or fully emptied. So I figuerd out that battery bar considers not arriving to "true 100%" as wear.

superlawyer15

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Hmm your theory makes a ton of sense;
but how does that account for the changes in level 5%-7% and then going back down to 0%
wouldn't it be a set point at which the battery doesn't charge any further? or is that range close enough?

I think it would be beneficial if a few other surface pro owners would track their battery wear levels and report back in a few days
this seems like something which would be of benefit for to community as a whole

Jrexxx

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
The change in percentage may ne due to the fact that the battery doesn't get charged to the same extent each time, it stops randomly around a certain figure. I have a Vaio that gives you the option to charge to "around 80%".

twonline

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here on Surface PRO 128GB.....

Yesterday wear level was reported as 0%, after a charge now it's reported as 2% in AIDA64 and 2.3% in HwINFO64. My charge cycles are only at 7 or 8. :(

superlawyer15

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I think its an issue with how wear is being reported

I've had my surface since launch and its gone as high as 16% ...it always drops back down

garyjk

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
go to a elevated command prompt and then type the following:

powercfg /batteryreport
press enter

an extensive html file will be created. just look at the path in the return message and open it up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes