Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nasellok

Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    File explorer -> right click "Computer" ->Map Network Drive ->

You can have it listed as a network drive, or a folder:

If you want it to show up with a drive letter, enter the following in the Map Network Drive window:
    http://www.box.net/dav/
    and enter your username / password as prompted.

If you want it to just show up as a network folder, select the "Connect to a Web site that you can use to store your documents and pictures" on the bottom of the screen
    Hit Next -> Next -> then specify the Internet or network address as:
    http://www.box.net/dav/ ->Next
    and enter your username / password as prompted.

It will take 30 seconds or so for the drive to show up.

Im wondering if this is possible for Dropbox as well?? anyone know?
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    This worked really well. thanks!

Got me thinking, if I do this with SkyDrive I wonder if I can use the Windows backup of it to make a local copy in Windows RT, I really want a Surface...sorry to derail the thread a bit.

I have been using box since the 25gb promo and I've got to say I like it quite nicely. I can see how mapping a cloud service like a drive would help many a small business share files.

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Thats a great idea...i might try it this weekend

Global Posts
    1,393 Global Posts
    Good info, but I'm wondering. I'm an old Box user from my HP Touchpad days. I used it a little. But now that I have my Surface, I use SkyDrive as my cloud storage. Is there any benefit to using Box in addition to or instead of, SkyDrive? Do I need another option? I know it doesn't hurt to be backed up in more than one location, but is it convenient to back up to two different cloud services?

PM me for more details

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    I dont think there is an advatange of box over skydrive, but definitely just to store stuff. Most of the things i need are on skydrive whereas box is used more like a warehouse

Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wbdillworth View Post
    Good info, but I'm wondering. I'm an old Box user from my HP Touchpad days. I used it a little. But now that I have my Surface, I use SkyDrive as my cloud storage. Is there any benefit to using Box in addition to or instead of, SkyDrive? Do I need another option? I know it doesn't hurt to be backed up in more than one location, but is it convenient to back up to two different cloud services?
    If your like me, and don't pay for your cloud services, there is never enough - I have (2) dropbox accounts - 7.8gb (mobile phone camera auto-uploads), and 2gb (work files), (2) Box accounts (got two 50gb free accounts - one with google, and one with outlook accounts), using both for digital camera file backups, google drive (I really dont use it too much, but I use it to transfer large files because skydrive wont let me). and of course Skydrive - I use for most of my personal files. I know - not the most efficient way to go, but I have a combined 122gb storage. And I am not counting my Google Music account, which I have easily 30gb used, and can upload to my hearts content (limit is 20,000 songs, and I am only using 8,000), and stream on my surface using GMusic.

That being said - Im sure there are better ways - like pay, but if your paying attention, you can get pretty hefty online cloud storage for free. I use Filebrick on my surface, gives me access to all my cloud files.
    11B1P likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeVuPlay View Post
    Thats a great idea...i might try it this weekend
    I hope you were talking to me, I really want to know as not having a local sync of my important SkyDrive files is the only thing keeping me from a Windows RT device.

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Yes i was talking at you hehe. But, after thinking about it, the recovery is created using another drive like a usb, but it has to be formatted. We definitely cant format cloud storage, but i wonder if i can copy everything from my usb to the cloud

Damn, I just really need my files synced when I get on/off WiFi. And light. And long lasting battery. Surface RT is perfect for my on the go device but I need my files. I'm sure I could figure it out but I don't have the funds to make that gamble.

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    When u say u need your files, what is it about rt that will not meet those needs

Quote Originally Posted by SeeVuPlay View Post
    When u say u need your files, what is it about rt that will not meet those needs
    The way the Modern app seems to not keep accessible copies of your SkyDrive on the device. Only Desktop app does that. From what I've read online and experienced on my desktop.

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Thunder View Post
    The way the Modern app seems to not keep accessible copies of your SkyDrive on the device. Only Desktop app does that. From what I've read online and experienced on my desktop.
    I have mapped Skydrive to my RT and you are correct that it does not keep a local copy. You need be connected to internet to access it at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjaap View Post
    I have mapped Skydrive to my RT and you are correct that it does not keep a local copy. You need be connected to internet to access it at all times.
    Could you then sync that within Windows to the main drive or even an sd card?

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Thunder View Post
    Could you then sync that within Windows to the main drive or even an sd card?
    Im not sure how to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjaap View Post
    Im not sure how to do that.
    Me neither, I used to use allway snyc before SkyDrive filled that hole. But that is Desktop software.