Can't unlock my Surface Windows RT.. HELP?

Bart Verbruggen

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Here's the problem:

I recently bought the new windows surface RT an at some point I couldn't unlock it anymore.. It keeps saying it's a wrong password, I've tried anything..
I changed my Microsoft password online but it still doesn't work..
Anyone else has that problem?

Thanks

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I've not had the problem, but someone I know did. She called MS and they walked her through changing her password online (via a PC), and then log back into the Surface. The trick was that the Surface *has* to have internet access via WiFi for it to work - if it's not connected to the Internet, then it cannot confirm the new password.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Here's the problem:

I recently bought the new windows surface RT an at some point I couldn't unlock it anymore.. It keeps saying it's a wrong password, I've tried anything..
I changed my Microsoft password online but it still doesn't work..
Anyone else has that problem?

Thanks

You can always do a recovery (which wipes the machine) if you can't get in.

It's a REALLY GOOD idea to make an additional local admin-level account on your surface rt, in case stuff like this happens.

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Make sure you are connected to WiFi to use your new password and be aware that it is case sensitive. If you can't connect to the internet you will need to enter your old password.

^^As suggested above you could have a local account, but I also found creating a picture password and pin give you extra login methods you will remember better and they don't sync (so thus can' be changed) to online.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
You did make a USB recovery thumb drive when you got your RT, right?

If you didn't, you might be able to go back where you bought it and make one from another Surface RT. Then boot off it and start fresh.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes