Outlook RT & Corporate Exchange Integration

mutant 9

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi all.

I have been a Surface user since day one and have to say it is a great device that keeps getting better with the frequent updates.

I have installed 8.1 and am trying to configure Outlook to add my corporate exchange account. My company does not support the surface since it does not support VPN so I have been using our mobile active sync within the Metro mail app. However for some reason I cant seem to get either the Exchange or Active Sync to work in outlook. Any ideals what may be the issue?

Thanks

Mutant 9

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi all.

I have been a Surface user since day one and have to say it is a great device that keeps getting better with the frequent updates.

I have installed 8.1 and am trying to configure Outlook to add my corporate exchange account. My company does not support the surface since it does not support VPN so I have been using our mobile active sync within the Metro mail app. However for some reason I cant seem to get either the Exchange or Active Sync to work in outlook. Any ideals what may be the issue?

Thanks

Mutant 9

If your Exchange account has active sync enabled, have you tried using the the web settings for your email? You don't really need VPN or Mobile Iron to get mail on your tablet. Try that, it works.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Should work just fine. Mine did. There was a problem a while back whereby if the Exchange server doesn't have a correctly-configured SSL certificate in place, the Surface wouldn't connect. But that would have happened in the Mail app too, which you have working.

pbankey

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I had issues too (also using a .corp exchange email account). However, I did get it working. It may not necessarily work for you, but you can try this and test your luck.

In the "Mail" settings in the control panel in desktop mode, create a new account and use the autodiscovery, as opposed to manual settings. I know, but there's more to it.

Let it attempt to find the settings, at which point (for me) it prompted for a username and password. Click on the box below, which specifies to use other credentials. It will by default attempt to use your local computer name as the domain (not correct). So, instead, in the username type "DOMAIN\username". Replace with actual domain--minus the .corp part--and your regular user name, then type the password.

It might ask you to do it one more time, and if it does then repeat the same step. At that point it did start working for me and used my company's .corp domain which worked fine.

Please PM me if you have any questions and get through the steps. The inability for RT to not connect to a domain should NOT be a limiting factor to use outlook.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Getting it to work with office365 hosted exchange was a wee twitchy for me, but I got it there eventually. Not much help but keep trying :)

Memitim

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
If you need to setup anything manually other than typing in your email address and password into Outlook your IT department are completely useless. Also Windows RT supports VPN just fine but this shouldn't be necessary for emails to work

mutant 9

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I am still having the issue. changed domain to CORP and it allows me to successfully configure the account however for the chages to take effect I have to restart outlook. when I close it and reopen the new account is gone...

Any ideas?

Also as an FYI I work for a fortune 200 organization that has some strict security policies. Not sure if they are preventing outlook access on non domain joined devices...

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If you need to setup anything manually other than typing in your email address and password into Outlook your IT department are completely useless. Also Windows RT supports VPN just fine but this shouldn't be necessary for emails to work

THIS. Every place worth its salt should have autodiscovery set up.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi all.

Thanks

Mutant 9

Surface RT does support VPN, that's how I use outlook to connect to my work exchange. You have to go to networking in desktop mode

Memitim

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I am still having the issue. changed domain to CORP and it allows me to successfully configure the account however for the chages to take effect I have to restart outlook. when I close it and reopen the new account is gone...

Any ideas?

Also as an FYI I work for a fortune 200 organization that has some strict security policies. Not sure if they are preventing outlook access on non domain joined devices...

Do you have access to the Outlook Web App?

URL should be something like this: https://mail.corp.com/OWA

If they allow EAS(ActiveSync) they surely allow Outlook Anywhere which proxies the RPC connection over HTTPS that Outlook uses to connect to the Exchange server.

If you want you can PM me your company's email domain (@corp.com) and I can have a look at what services they have available from the internet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon