HDMI Output Problems

blzr409

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I've seen this same type of issue come up online a few places, but I can't seem to figure out any kind of actual solution, so I thought I'd check here.

My friend has a Surface RT and an older TV. She wanted to use the Surface for watching Netflix, Hulu, etc. in her new apartment as she doesn't have cable. I told her which cable to buy (a 15 ft. Micro-HDMI to HDMI cable) and she got it hooked up correctly. The problem is that no apps will open now. They return an error saying that the minimum resolution for Windows RT apps is 768 lines. I had her go to the screen resolution menu from the desktop and there it lists 1280x720 for the TV. It is grayed out and won't let you choose any other resolution. I looked up the TV model and it says in the specs that the TV is 1366x768, the same as the Surface and the same as the minimum for displaying Windows RT apps. It seems like everything should work correctly, but the Surface sees the display as 1280x720 only and will not allow it to be changed. Any ideas?

Kieran Jeffery

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Some older TV's will only accept 480p/720p/1080i/1080p through HDMI. Hopefully the TV has a DVI or VGA port for which you could buy a relevant adapter (make sure its an active adapter).

blzr409

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Some older TV's will only accept 480p/720p/1080i/1080p through HDMI. Hopefully the TV has a DVI or VGA port for which you could buy a relevant adapter (make sure its an active adapter).
I think that is the problem. The TV actually does say that it supports 1080i over HDMI, but I can't seem to get the option to come up. The TV does have a VGA port, but that creates another problem as she'd then have to rely on audio from the tablet itself

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes