WIndows Phone - Preview for Developers and OEM Firmware Updates

GameOver69

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
So i am very tempted to download and install GDR3 via the Preview for Developers App.... but do we still get OEM firmware updates, when they are released?

Also, if i install GDR3 now, when AT&T releases it does it later install that version? How does all this work?

Thanks in advance!

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes you have. You get the developer preview app, activate it and search for updates. You will get prompted for the update and instal. After you want to go back to regular updates, you jsut go to the app, disable the developer preview mode and search for updates. If there is update released, you will download and instal normally.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes, you will get all OEM updates. You'll even get official firmware/updates when they are released. This basically just allows you to download updates without carrier intervention.

And no, there are no big bugs with GDR3. It's the same version used on the official 1520/8X/Ativ S. A couple people have had issues with apps not migrating over, which might be a bug, but 99% of us have updated with 0 issues. Good luck!

koopiskeva

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Anybody that did his receive the Lumia Black update for the 1020? Does it have the RAW capture? Fix for the yellow tint when using flash?

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
This most recent update destroyed my phone's ability to launch 3rd party apps without re-installing them. You may just want to wait.

Someone figured out the solution to this..
Go into settings..keyboard...add keyboards.

According to that person and a couple of people that replied that his post worked, in some cases the update wouldn't migrate data completely, so ended up screwing up the apps and other things.

Adding a keyboard forces the phone to redo the process and whatever method the keyboard addition uses doesn't have the same flaw.

So when you install the new keyboard (you can then switch back afterwards with no problem), your apps should work at that point.

In my case, everything went well from the getgo thank God..

Ukyo

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Developer Preview has not released Black yet

Does the DP actually release Black previews? I'm under the impression that DP is only for MS updates and not Nokia updates though now that Nokia mobile devices/software belongs to MS, they might...

mv740

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Black is a firmware update thus only released by nokia... In a year it will be another story when the merger of their phone department with microsoft will be finalized

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon