Lumia 1020 won't turn on (not able to soft/hard reset, NSRT does not detect the phone)

rea2013

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
In the end I sent it to repair. Unfortunately they did flash it so all of my app data and files were lost. The only thing you can do now (as far as I could see) is either try NSRT or send it in for repair, sorry.

Rollingsalmon

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I hit the camera app, and the phone died. Nothing worked. I tried a variation of your idea. I held the volume and on/off button at the same time and plugged in the cord. It worked.....BUT, I can't retrieve texts or use some apps. I bought the 1020 the day it came out for the camera. I think I see the iPhone 6s in my future....

Johan Babawy

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
please help........ my nokia lumia 1020 I was listening to the music and When I wanted to go to the home page the phone frozed sooo I waited for a minote but it didn't responde so I tried to hard reset then the phone turned off but when I tried to turn it on it didn't responde ......now the phone is just a died meat ..............note: my phone is running wp 10 T.P and the charge is around 80%

Last edited:

Mathieu Ackermann

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

Dead Lumia 1020 here as well... Storage access was always quite slow but became terrible in the last few days. I had a few unexpected reboots, some strange setting changes or missing chunks of data, and today I look at my picture library which shows up empty! I tried to restart the phone and just after the Nokia logo I got a "DOS-style" error saying that no bootable sequence was found. I suppose the storage is dead. Fortunately the phone is still under warranty. Will send it for repair. Sad that I will have to reconfigure everything... (saving to OneDrive was failing already since 8 months so I could never backup the settings).

Mark Walker4

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
When I try a hard reset I get a the gears screen then a sad face. After that it shuts down. So far no PC recognizes it. It says "One of the USB devices connected to this computer has malfunctioned and windows doesn't recognize it." Neither the Windows Phone Recovery Tool, nor the Nokia Software Updater are able to connect. Is there any hope after exhausting all these options?

jaxt3r

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi Guys, I've been reading the above posts and looks like I've landed myself in a similar sort of situation.It's really disappointing how the issue happened before a year and is still happening and Windows has not come with a proper solution.

Harry Notermans

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Well, I suppose in some cases a phone is just fried. Like mine was last May. Totally dead except for a message in tiny letter stating no boot device found. Had the motherboard replaced (under warranty) and to my surprise got a 64GB version back, my original one was 32. Is that a nice solution or what?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Well, I suppose in some cases a phone is just fried. Like mine was last May. Totally dead except for a message in tiny letter stating no boot device found. Had the motherboard replaced (under warranty) and to my surprise got a 64GB version back, my original one was 32. Is that a nice solution or what?

Now that is a treat! :cool:

At any rate, same happened to my L1020 and only having the board replaced in a service center resolved the issue.

christopher kaberia

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
It just happened to me this morning. my fully charged lumia 1020 cant start. got in in my car and drove to work. upone reaaching the office its dead. cant charge, cant start cant do anything ....i mean its so strange

christopher kaberia

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
It all about being able to restart the phone. Since the battons are not working the only solution is to remove the battery. You can do this by following some good youtube videos or taking it to a trained personnel. Ask them to take out and return the battery and that?s all you need. It?s an easy fix. Good luck!

poofycake

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
this just happened to me the other night. had to wiggle the phone to get it charging which it stayed on charge yesterday but when i tried charging it again last night it wouldn't hold up for anything. it's completely dead now after it wont charge on idle and battery kept draining when on screen. tried different chargers...different outlets...different methods of restarting the phone. i ordered a new micro usb port to replace so hopefully this will be the fix that i need. really hope it's not a battery issue as well. this is really upsetting considering i cant upgrade until next month.

JAMfx

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
Hey,
I'm wondering if you found a solution?
My phone just did the same thing this morning. I pulled it off of the wall charger and not even 10mins later it turned of and is now a fancy paperweight.

JAMfx

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
I know
It's so ridiculous. I haven't even had my phone for 2 years and it has been nothing but issues. It consistently glitches, deletes things, turns itself off and all sorts of ridiculous things. I'm still paying it off and now its shut itself down and has become completely unresponsive.
I thought I hated apple phones. I definitely haven't had a reason to like this phone.

Brendan Krotz

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
this xmas will be the 3d time i've had my 1020 returned & replaced. each time they have either replaced the motherboard or the entire phone... last time they managed to install WP8.1 on it and it was stable for a while... until i start to update the apps & slowly update the OS, that's when it seems the 1020 has issues...

this 3rd time round there is a range of issues::

- once phone key locks, the unlock key is unresponsive. initially by plugging the phone into a portable battery or power would wake it up, but that eventually stopped working & the only way to wake up the phone was to do a software reset...
- recently when i get a call and the phone is unresponsive, i have to just miss the call / text, restart the phone then check missed call / text
- the phone has stopped charging from a portable battery charger (phone constantly running out during the day if i dont get to a power point)
- the phone's notifications are either laggy or dont wont, therefore i cant use phone alarm to wake up anymore, calendar alerts etc dont work anymore...
- before sending my phone back i wanted to backup all my pictures & videos but they wouldnt upload to one drive via wifi, or very slowly, took over 2 months to backup cause large files took a long time...
- connecting phone to computer doenst work anymore, phone doesnt respond, not recognised as a device, nothing... just like it's not connected, so i cant even run the nokia repair took to reset the phone...

so ive finally backed up all my files & am ready to send it back... if i do just get another 1020 sent out (was hoping for a 1520 or a more recent model since this will be the 4th attempt to repair) i will leave with OS software they installed / tested, i may update apps but leave it at WP8.1 but that's it.

will report back with what happens... i do like this phone, the camera is amazing, if only it was faster & more reliable... i do want the 950XL but not ready to pay $1000+ upfront, so will keep an eye out for a cheaper deal or 2nd hand...

overall i love windows phone and the overall experience, after all the problems ive had over the past year & half i still would prefer it than android or apple, cause i love the camera & 8.1 is a clean / easy to use OS

rea2013

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I just sent it in to Nokia for repair. Took 3 days allowing for 1 day delivery both ways. Didn't have any problems after that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes