Power button won't lock phone

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Just started happening today. I go to lock my phone and it does nothing. Still powers off if I hold it down, but won't lock screen.

Also all of my quick toggles disappeared from my notification center. Just left blank grey spaces. Tried setting them up again, but no go, still blank spaces. Restarted phone and that didn't help. Hard reset is completely out of the question.

Anyone else experience this or have any tips? AT&T 1520 with dev preview, cyan.

Edit - Just as soon as this posted the toggles were back. Not sure what happened there.

Edit- adding this because it is the ONLY thing that worked for me! Thanks again shylent!

This worked for me :smile: : Turn of automatically set time and date => soft reset => wait for it to start up, then go into settings again and manually enter time and date.
For some reason after the soft reset my date and time went to November 24 9:37 AM
Hope this helps everyone while MS fixes this

Edit again - The fix I've quoted is a temporary workaround. You may have the problem resurface.

Last edited:

NuAngel

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Other threads I've seen suggest that this may be related to the latest update to the "GLANCE" app. Try uninstalling and see if that makes a difference? Or perhaps wait for next update to the app? Check the general Windows Phone 8.1 forum for more threads on the topic...

Last edited:

Flytetymex

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Holy crap this just happened to me. Power button is unresponsive. I reset the phone and nothing happens. Power button is useless. Have you guys downloaded anything recently? I just finished downloading the official "the Chive" app. Uninstalled it and nothing

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Holy crap this just happened to me. Power button is unresponsive. I reset the phone and nothing happens. Power button is useless. Have you guys downloaded anything recently? I just finished downloading the official "the Chive" app. Uninstalled it and nothing

Same here! Just got the chive app and this started happening!

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Other threads I've seen suggest that this may be related to the latest update to the "GLANCE" app. Try uninstalling and see if that makes a difference? Or perhaps wait for next update to the app? Check the general Windows Phone 8.1 forum for more threads on the topic...

So I go to uninstall glance to see if this is the problem, and it has literally disappeared from my phone!!!! But it's still functioning on my phone. No app, but my phone still has glance there when I lock it. Now my Windows 8 PC won't even recognize it when I plug it in. Was going to save my stuff before it gets worse, but I guess it already has!

Going a bit crazy.

Edit - glance is in settings, I'd forgotten. Gonna mess with those settings see what I can do.

Flytetymex

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
After every reset something different doesn't work. Some resets the toggle switches aren't there in the notification center and sometimes they are. Also when I go to settings and start scrolling, sometimes it'll start freezing and half the descriptions below the different settings categories aren't there. And sometimes it works fine for a while up until it locks. Then back to square one.

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
After every reset something different doesn't work. Some resets the toggle switches aren't there in the notification center and sometimes they are. Also when I go to settings and start scrolling, sometimes it'll start freezing and half the descriptions below the different settings categories aren't there. And sometimes it works fine for a while up until it locks. Then back to square one.
Yep, same here. Also phone won't stay shut off, just automatically restarts itself!

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Guys there is another thread which has "hard" evidence that this is due to a home training app. Did you install this kind of app? And try to find this thread.

wpfan86

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Update: It is now worse. Capacitive buttons now intermittently unresponsive, action center inaccessible.

If anyone has found a solution, please post!

Flytetymex

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I guess that Chive app ****ed things up in the way the phone boots up or sets **** up. I already reset mine and everything seems to be acting normal. Now its just a matter of waiting 2 or so hours to finish downloading all the apps and stuff

wpfan86

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
We need a solution. Everybody please post any and all issues so we can piece together what's going on.

Installed chive app and this problem began within an hour or so after. App is now uninstalled, but problem persists. Soft reset did not help (though multiple attempts have been made).

Flytetymex

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I had to do the hard reset method or you could do it also through the settings menu "About Phone - Reset phone". I don't quite understand why the app has so many high ratings. I guess it may be just a 1520 issue

Last edited:

wpfan86

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
No, I'm on a Lumia 920, so it's definitely not just a 1520 issue. I wonder if Windows Central is aware of the problems that have arisen as a result of installing the app.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3