Bad photo - Low light conditions

terranoide

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Recently my 620 Lumia is taking bad photographs in low light conditions :angry:. When I bought the phone it was taking some very good photographs. But when upgraded to CYAN, I noticed a low quality image. I assumed that a hard reset would solve the issue but every day gets worse. I think that the heat from the back of the phone must have fried the camera sensor. :unhappysweat:

Someone has the same problem? Please look at the attached images.

Attachments

• WP_20150505_03_56_35_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150505_03_56_35_Pro.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • WP_20150505_03_57_39_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150505_03_57_39_Pro.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Unless the heat/temperature you're referring to is equal to or greater than the critical circuit temperature of the camera, it's unlikely that it was fried by such heat.

It's most likely that the Cyan update introduced changes to how the camera processes the raw data for the creation of the image file.

Using Lumia Camera, have you tried using lower ISO values? Try shooting at ISO100. You may need to keep the camera very still since at low ISO values the exposure time tends to be increased - this is especially true for low light conditions.

Tinker around with the white balance, too, since the second photo looks greenish.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
If you have access to a PC and internet you can use the Lumia Recovery Tool and see if that helps any.

How can I recover/reset/restore my phone software? - Microsoft - USA

This installs a fresh ROM which means it wipes the phone completely. So you need to back up.

This should help with your camera issues. Your phone heating up shouldn't effect things really.

Saying that and knowing a bit about lighting. The top picture doesn't look that bad a touch grainy and blurred because you probably moved. The bottom picture is due to the types lights being used in that area as to why it looks that colour. The clarity isn't that bad considering the fact that the 620 is a low end phone.

terranoide

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
The bottom picture is in good condition for me, no grain, a little green but camera is set in auto.
The top picture is the problem. The grain you see (left side) is always the same. I covered the camera lens and took a screenshot (look at the attached image). Before Cyan no problem, at all...

I will follow your advice and make a reset via Lumia Recovery Tool. Hope the sensor has not damaged.

Thanks for all and forgive my bad english :winktongue:

Attachments

• wp_ss_20150505_0004.png
    wp_ss_20150505_0004.png
    454.6 KB · Views: 11

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The bottom picture is in good condition for me, no grain, a little green but camera is set in auto.
The top picture is the problem. The grain you see (left side) is always the same. I covered the camera lens and took a screenshot (look at the attached image). Before Cyan no problem, at all...

I will follow your advice and make a reset via Lumia Recovery Tool. Hope the sensor has not damaged.

You're English is fine. :)

I've had issues with bad low light with the L920 and the recovery tool has worked for me in the past.

I don't think you've damaged the camera sensor as the person above me has noted that there is a certain temperature where things can go wrong. All electronics generate heat of some sort. There is a danger point to all things of course but your phone heating up shouldn't be one. If the heat was an issue your whole phone would stop working.

The green tint could be the lighting in the area due to the type of lights being used. They could be HID (High Intensity Discharge) lamps, these are used on cars as well. Some come up green in photos due to the filters being used. Depends on the bulb too.

It could also be the camera software. After you use the recovery tool it you should have a better idea.

Taking pictures in low light is difficult and sometimes adjusting settings to get the best picture is required.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

No problem. As N_LaRUE pointed out, there could be a lot of factors that lead to the noise you're seeing. Since the Lumia Software Recovery Tool has worked for him, we're hoping that it will also work for you. Once the re-installation is done, we'd like to see a before-after comparison.:cool:

And you're English is fine.:smile:

Aziz Abdurachman

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Is that noise always on top side?
This is my camera when I cover the lens with my finger. I assume that noise might the light leaking (?) through my finger.
wp_ss_20150505_0004.png

But this when I cover it completely with a pillow. No noticeable noise at all.
wp_ss_20150505_0005.png

And yes, if you say it was after Cyan FW (WP8.1), I also notice this, but beside from that noise now Lumia 620 can take a brighter image in low light than it was before. I think it's some kind of firmware tweaking, making image looking brighter but more grainy. Also I notice that now image is a little bit orange-ish color, like it was post processed to create warmer color.
This is my sample picture in low light condition. Before Cyan FW it was darker than this.
WP_20141208_21_36_02_Pro.jpg
It's always seems redder in top & bottom side when capturing in low light (high ISO & slow shutter speed).

Antony Augustine

May 10, 2014
Visit site
hai i have a similar problem with my 620 and the noise is getting worse day by day, with flash , close up subject there is no noise , so am thinking its not a dead sensor problem, but images otherwise are pretty grainy :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes