Is it necessary to charge the new mobile for 8 hrs

ganesha1991

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone.... got my nokia lumia 720 yesterday... salesman told me to charge the mobile first time for 8 hrs ... but within 2 hrs the battery was charged full .. i removed it in 3hrs.. is it necessary to charge it for 8 hrs.??
if so can i do it now???

Thanks in advance

khunhorm

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
No you don't have to. In fact what you should do is:

Charge to full
Use the phone until battery is less than 20
Charge to full again

Do this couple of time and after that, charge as you please.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
No you don't have to. In fact what you should do is:

Charge to full
Use the phone until battery is less than 20
Charge to full again

Do this couple of time and after that, charge as you please.

You don't need to do this either. The phone has a Lithium-Ion battery, so all you need to do is charge it fully before use, then charge as you please - no 'conditioning' necessary.

Trappiste

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
You don't need to do this either. The phone has a Lithium-Ion battery, so all you need to do is charge it fully before use, then charge as you please - no 'conditioning' necessary.

Yes and no. Litihum-based chemistries do not give their full capacity before some of the higher voltage resistance is worn off by topping the charge a few times. It is unnecessary to run the battery down, though.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
It is not even necessary to charge the phone to full as you take it out of the package. They usually come pre-charged at some half capacity, if you can manage the first day like that (many dont, cos they cant put down the new shiny phone), then just charge it overnight or something or then just use it on the charger for a while.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Yes and no. Litihum-based chemistries do not give their full capacity before some of the higher voltage resistance is worn off by topping the charge a few times. It is unnecessary to run the battery down, though.

Do you have some credible references for this?

Bicpug

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
If it's anything like my l920 you should have to charge it and run it flat a couple of times before you see the true battery capacity.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
If it's anything like my l920 you should have to charge it and run it flat a couple of times before you see the true battery capacity.

How many times does this myth have to be repudiated before it dies? Lithium based batteries such as the one in the Lumia 920 and Lumia 720 DO NOT IMPROVE AT ALL by charging/discharging. What does change over time is how often you fiddle with your phone, which decreases after the first few weeks and therefore battery life is increased because you don't always light up your phone screen every couple of minutes just to admire it.

BTW, fully discharging a Lithium based battery and running it flat is NOT RECOMMENDED. This can actually damage these types of batteries. Lithium batteries should be plugged in and charged when they drop past about 20% charge remaining. The phone charging circuitry is designed to shut the phone down before the battery gets into its critical discharge phase, but some people keep turning the phone back on to really run the battery flat. Doing this runs the risk of pushing the battery charge below the critical threshold where it can't be successfully charged again in the normal way. To fix this you'll need to take your phone to a repairer. So do not run your phone completely flat if you can help it. And if you do run it until it shuts off, don't try to restart it without first plugging it into a charger.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
No links, sorry, only what engineers working with battery technolgoy have told me.

Yes. I didn't think you'd have any links. I'm an electronics engineer (graduated in 1985 from the University of Sydney, Australia) and have worked with Canon's R&D centre for optical imaging technology in North Ryde, Sydney. My job was optimising power consumption for image processing DSPs to be used in things like SLR cameras - which used Lithium Ion batteries. In my experience, the capacity of Lithium Ion and Lithium Polymer batteries does not increase at all after a few charge cycles. My advice to anyone with a new phone is - just use it. Finicky charging-discharging does diddly squat for overall battery time.

Prakash Ramalingam

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

i don't think that it's necessary truly. technically speaking
If the capacitor can't charge over its limit or once it reaches its threshold, right
it is just like "over flow":smile:
then what is the use of charging more than required

sharanra

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site
I bought a new smart phone first i put in power plug then in two minutes the current went off or electricity supply was cut the mobile charge increased by two % so wat i should do know'

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon