Weird spots underneath the screen?

DeZerT

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Some time ago I noticed that, in some very special situations, like under direct and strong artificial/sun light and a particular angle, I'm able to see a couple of small, very faint spots, kinda similar to those left by dried moisture (like a drop of water) underneath the screen. At first I though it was my bad for putting on a wet screen protector, but just the other day I had a look at the device of a friend of mine, and looking closely I found similar spots, just not two but a single and bigger one. This got me a bit puzzled, so I decided to take a look at a third device, this time a demo unit in a shop, and guess what? Also that one had a similar mark right in the middle of the screen.
Now, not that this bothers me much, since you can't actually see it unless you really try (I can't even catch it with a camera), but I'd love to know from you guys if this is a common "flaw" or I just happened to grab a "flawed" handful of devices...

Markyyy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
When I have my lumia 800 displaying a full black screen in the dark, I can make out lots of small patches that are deeper black. The rest of the display is an incredibly dark grey when the amoled displays black, as though it is producing some light. Howcome? Because I thought when amoled display black it is an absence of light?

DeZerT

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
When I have my lumia 800 displaying a full black screen in the dark, I can make out lots of small patches that are deeper black. The rest of the display is an incredibly dark grey when the amoled displays black, as though it is producing some light. Howcome? Because I thought when amoled display black it is an absence of light?
Yeah I know that, actually I'm not talking about that "light leak" issue that all AMOLED panels have when a black picture is displayed fullscreen, these look more like dried water drops, and you can actually see them when the screen is off. However some guys at XDA just told me that they have the same "issue": Nokia told them that those are "splices" where the glass is glued to the display. This is actually the first phone I have with this issue, so I guess it's due to the curved design of the glass in this unit. Oh well, I'll just deal with it, at least it's not my bad ;)

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I know that, actually I'm not talking about that "light leak" issue that all AMOLED panels have when a black picture is displayed fullscreen, these look more like dried water drops, and you can actually see them when the screen is off. However some guys at XDA just told me that they have the same "issue": Nokia told them that those are "splices" where the glass is glued to the display. This is actually the first phone I have with this issue, so I guess it's due to the curved design of the glass in this unit. Oh well, I'll just deal with it, at least it's not my bad ;)

All three Lumia 800 that I have had had those spots. I can never see them though unless I'm in a totally dark room and watch an all black background so I do not see it as an issue at all as you hardly every notice them in every day use.

edit: though I recall my first 800 had a spot that was visible at all times.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs