4K all the way

You probably don't NEED a 4K webcam, but we love Logitech's BRIO 4K anyway

Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 23 of 23
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By gazzaMARTIN1
  • 4 Post By Aniruddh Sharma
  • 2 Post By CJ Thunder
  • 1 Post By craigy18181
  • 1 Post By TheLuminis620
  1. gazzaMARTIN1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    The first 820 i had broke in my pocket (cracked screen), even though it was in a case with a screen protector. I eventually got a replacement from carphone warehouse after shouting and screaming for three hours in-store.
    The second handset is plauged by bugs. Sometimes it won't charge through USB for no apparent reason. The data connectivity often won't work without turning the phone off and on first. Sometimes the music player volume will zump to zero and won't turn back up until you turn it off and on. Some photos iv taken have a solid line of purple pixels across them, the list goes on...
    Iv tried endlessly to tackle this with Nokia and they've done absolutely nothing. They do not know the meaning of the words "customer service", do some forum searches and you'll see what i mean.
    Iv used Nokia for 15 years but when this contract runs out im never dealing with them again. Take my advice and save yourself from a ton of frustration, and being stuck with a shoddy handset for two years.
  2. beachhoppr's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    332 Posts
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Okay
  3. hacer619's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    339 Posts
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    well looks like you're getting the bad stock, 2 days ago I dropped my l920 from 1st floor(balcony 8m high) nothing happened to the screen not even scratches (only 2 dots on one corner as far as I noticed) but the polycarbonate cover got bumped on all 4 corners, maybe im lucky the screen didn't break.
  4. Aniruddh Sharma's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    107 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    Nokia doesn't know the meaning of Customer Service ... and you have been using Nokia for 15 years!
  5. jiayit's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    302 Posts
    Global Posts
    338 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    Yeah, I've been plagued by problems endlessly with my previous 8X. Heating indefinitely for no obvious reasons, auto reboots, and more.

    Went to Nokia Care, THRICE. problem not addressed, gave up and got the 8X in the end. They have very very very bad attitude. No problems with my 8X at ALL so far.
  6. zack251's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    260 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Mine is working fine so far. But I wish the battery could be better. I have to use 2G to have all day long.
    Have used this phone for a month. Have dropped it several times and still OK. Call quality is great. I can even use it in an elevator.
    Last edited by zack251; 02-09-2013 at 09:03 AM.
  7. bluesingas's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    15 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Well, if you're talking about 820, it's a great phone. I don't havr any problems with it (well maybe my micro sd is a bit slow, but I think it will be fixed.). Maybe your phone was broken or bad quality ;)
  8. Atli Jarl Martin's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Yeah.. I don't know about your particular gadget, but mine is all that's advertised, and more. I abstained from the 920, due to it's lack of MicroSD slot and size and man, am I glad I did. The 820 is completely wonderful. You must have gotten a bad unit.
  9. CJ Thunder's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    715 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jiayit View Post
    Yeah, I've been plagued by problems endlessly with my previous 8X. Heating indefinitely for no obvious reasons, auto reboots, and more.

    Went to Nokia Care, THRICE. problem not addressed, gave up and got the 8X in the end. They have very very very bad attitude. No problems with my 8X at ALL so far.
    Nokia Care fixes HTC phones?
  10. AUCLABruin's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    191 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Well, this is your opinion. You're not commenting on the 820 itself, instead, you focus on the apparently lack of customer service on Nokia's behalf. While you may have had a bad experience I am sure others have had experiences that say Nokia repaired their phone/s quickly.
  11. gazzaMARTIN1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #11  
    Yeah the 920 comes with gorilla glass. Not so with 820.
  12. Erickson187's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    103 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    I was shocked to hear the 820 doesn't have gorilla glass. I have the 822 which is the Verizon version and mine has gorilla glass
  13. zack251's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    260 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    Gorilla glass is only a marketing term for a type of hardened glass produced by a company called Corning.

    Quote Originally Posted by Erickson187 View Post
    I was shocked to hear the 820 doesn't have gorilla glass. I have the 822 which is the Verizon version and mine has gorilla glass
  14. Tezler's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    74 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    Had my 820 few months now. Don't bother with case since shells are replaceable, just have screen protector to prevent scratching. Dropped on numerous times and screen not an issue. Shell took a little damage but again, I'll change colour at some point :)
    Your replacement phone sounds faulty and for sure it sounds like you got a bad unit and have been very unlucky. Hope your luck improves.
  15. Tezler's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    74 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by zack251 View Post
    Mine is working fine so far. But I wish the battery could be better. I have to use 2G to have all day long.
    Have used this phone for a month. Have dropped it several times and still OK. Call quality is great. I can even use it in an elevator.
    Is it heavily used? All I did was disable bluetooth and NFC. I enable when needed. The battery improved loads doing that!
  16. zack251's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    260 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    Very heavily used. Whatsapp 24x7, email every hour and lots of news reading with an app called Flux - really like this app. I disable bluetooth and NFC as well. Previously with 3G only got around 8-10 hours but with 2G I get more than a day. I use WiFi a lot to surf. For all other like Whatsapp and email, 2G is enought. If I am outside, without access to Wifi and want to browse for news I just enable the 3G.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tezler View Post
    Is it heavily used? All I did was disable bluetooth and NFC. I enable when needed. The battery improved loads doing that!
  17. Tezler's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    74 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    Enough said... That's heavy :)
  18. Abdul Rahman Noor's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    156 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by gazzaMARTIN1 View Post
    The first 820 i had broke in my pocket (cracked screen), even though it was in a case with a screen protector. I eventually got a replacement from carphone warehouse after shouting and screaming for three hours in-store.
    The second handset is plauged by bugs. Sometimes it won't charge through USB for no apparent reason. The data connectivity often won't work without turning the phone off and on first. Sometimes the music player volume will zump to zero and won't turn back up until you turn it off and on. Some photos iv taken have a solid line of purple pixels across them, the list goes on...
    Iv tried endlessly to tackle this with Nokia and they've done absolutely nothing. They do not know the meaning of the words "customer service", do some forum searches and you'll see what i mean.
    Iv used Nokia for 15 years but when this contract runs out im never dealing with them again. Take my advice and save yourself from a ton of frustration, and being stuck with a shoddy handset for two years.
    I've had an 820 from CarPhoneWareHouse for a couple of months now, and the screen has (only) a couple of scratches even though my 18 month old constantly drops it playing with it.
    Sounds like you have a faulty phone.
  19. craigy18181's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    51 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    Never had a single issue with this phone since I picked it up on the 9th November 2012. Wife also has no issues with hers so anyone looking in on this I would suggest ignoring this thread and biased opinion.
    Eren68 likes this.
  20. jiayit's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    302 Posts
    Global Posts
    338 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by craigy18181 View Post
    Never had a single issue with this phone since I picked it up on the 9th November 2012. Wife also has no issues with hers so anyone looking in on this I would suggest ignoring this thread and biased opinion.
    yes, ignore whatever you think is biased but some of the problems here are real problems. For example, my 820 has a 4-6 seconds shutter lag, I have a Class 4 SD card (so I'm not complaining), but my friend with a Class 10 SD card has the lag too. If you're one that needs to take many photos quickly, you might need to purchase a good SD card with your 820 (UHS).
  21. bluesingas's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    15 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by jiayit View Post
    yes, ignore whatever you think is biased but some of the problems here are real problems. For example, my 820 has a 4-6 seconds shutter lag, I have a Class 4 SD card (so I'm not complaining), but my friend with a Class 10 SD card has the lag too. If you're one that needs to take many photos quickly, you might need to purchase a good SD card with your 820 (UHS).
    yep, I have the same problem too! Also photos app and settings app launches a little bit slower. Can it be that portico update fixes this?
  22. iamtim's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,579 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,774 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #22  
    My 820 has been awesome and I highly recommend it to everyone (even over the 920 and the 8x).

    The OP is either a troll or has really bad luck.
  23. TheLuminis620's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    205 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #23  
    The OP is just having a bad luck. I mean, honestly there's no difference, be it with Nokia, HTC, Samsung or even Sony, they all provide good sometimes rubbish services and it all depends on your luck. I've experienced them myself and I know... Sorry about your experience with the Lumia 820, but since you've moved to HTC 8X, I wish you all good luck and be happy with it because many others in this forum experience the opposite - bad luck with the 8X and happy ever after with the Lumia 820/920. It's all just luck. However, you can always complain, write a letter or just do anything and let Nokia know the real issue here with them.

    Will this post stop people from buying the Lumia 820? No, I don't think so...
    KoukiFC3S likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. Should i buy this phone?
    By Gr1mR in forum Nokia Lumia 800
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-13-2012, 01:57 AM
  2. Should I buy this phone?
    By deninger201 in forum Nokia Lumia 710
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-23-2012, 11:13 PM
  3. Did I make a mistake buying this phone?
    By jimmyjunk30 in forum Nokia Lumia 900
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-13-2012, 02:46 PM
  4. Thinking of buying this phone.
    By Winterfang in forum Nokia Lumia 710
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-15-2012, 10:40 AM
  5. Would you still buy this phone
    By Slayers in forum Samsung Focus Flash 4G
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-13-2012, 11:41 PM

Posting Permissions

";