Disappointed at verizon/nokia

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
this sounds like pretty wishful thinking. Can you give an example of this ever happening before? I certainly can't, so I'd say chances are slim. Buy you're right. We don't know the exact terms.
Never said it had or would happen. Only that it could. It all depends on what the contract says, but since none of us knows what it says, there's no way of knowing.
These contracts are watertight. At any rate, they need AT&T's support - annoy them and they'd lose one of the top 2 US carriers.
Got a copy of this watertight contract I can read? I'd like to be as in the know.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
The 820 is an at&t exclusive, Verizon got an 822, which is a, wait for it, variant of at&ts 820. Throw a quad core in that beast and slightly alter the body. Totally doable.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Never said it had or would happen. Only that it could. It all depends on what the contract says, but since none of us knows what it says, there's no way of knowing.

Got a copy of this watertight contract I can read? I'd like to be as in the know.

The world might also end next month; Google and Apple might merge; the earth's magnetic poles may flip; etc., etc., etc. - they also all "could" happen but are just about as likely. Spinning wishful thinking does no one any favors. It is an AT&T exclusive for six months and that is the end of the story.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The 820 is an at&t exclusive, Verizon got an 822, which is a, wait for it, variant of at&ts 820. Throw a quad core in that beast and slightly alter the body. Totally doable.

....and you keep thinking those happy thoughts and, wait for it, there will still be no 920 equivalent until six months are up with AT&T. The 820 is not a flagship phone, nor is the 822. VZW has made the 8X their flagship exclusive. Business is business and the top line Nokia is an AT&T exclusive. There will be no "almost" or rebadged versions because 1) Nokia has much deeper ties with AT&T and 2) corporate litigation and class action suits would follow very quickly.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
No need to get snide. It's common knowledge, and has been intimated by Dan and others in the articles on the main site.

I don't believe it has been intimated at all by anyone but you that no phone could be created that is anything at all like the 920. In fact there have been a number of others who have stated that changes could be made to the phone, and it would be a different model. I believe I saw another thread where MacPhisto told you so himself, and he's one of those with inside knowledge from Verizon. Nothing snide at all - it's just that you seem to be stating as fact something that is not evidenced as fact.

db4williams

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I purchased my 822 on Verizon thinking that it would be a holdover until a better phone comes along. I am extremely happy with the 822. I've changed my mind and will probably keep it until/if Nokia brings something amazing to Verizon. It would probably have to be something better than a 922 for me to switch at this point. Go for the 822 you won't be disappointed.

I agree. I was a bit skeptical about the 822 at first. But now that I have one, I think it is a fantastic device for the money. The battery life is very good lasting through the day and evening with moderate to heavy usage and still having about 15%-20% left late into the evening when I retire for the night. I will also say the ClearBlack display is vibrant and easy to read and use in direct sunlight. It is quite slim, and much lighter that I had anticipated it to be. Really, you just can't go wrong with this phone.

JGC843

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
This is the position in in. I expect that this spring they will have a better phone.

I'm sorry, but don't hold your breath. Verizon does not push Windows devices like they do everything else. Every time I have bought one in the store, they tell me if I have questions, don't bother coming in. Also, They have only had two windows devices (before the two new ones) in two years, the Kin and HTC Trophy. Kin lacked the ability to get apps, and while I have loved my HTC Trophy, it lacked a ton of features that almost every other phone had standard. The HTC and Nokia phones will be around for at least two years. Bet me.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, but don't hold your breath. Verizon does not push Windows devices like they do everything else. Every time I have bought one in the store, they tell me if I have questions, don't bother coming in. Also, They have only had two windows devices (before the two new ones) in two years, the Kin and HTC Trophy. Kin lacked the ability to get apps, and while I have loved my HTC Trophy, it lacked a ton of features that almost every other phone had standard. The HTC and Nokia phones will be around for at least two years. Bet me.

Ah, if this is what you think, then you have not been paying attention to the tech news this year. Verizon's CFO said on a conference call that (paraphrased quote) "we made android what it is, and we can do it for Windows Phone as well... because we need a third ecosystem to help offset the subsidies of the iPhone." There are more, but the story is that Apple is trying to use the iPhone to force Verizon to get the Apple TV into homes that have Verizon's FIOS internet service. Microsoft doesn't play those strong arm tactics. Also, Google is apparently doing the same thing with Google Play. So Verizon now WANTS Windows Phone to grow.

BTW, I've seen pictures of Verizon employees wearing Windows Phone 8 T-shirts in the store, on duty. You didn't see that last year. ;)

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site

Have you missed the near constant Verizon commercials for the 822 and 8x? I don't remember Trophy ads on tv.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Have you missed the near constant Verizon commercials for the 822 and 8x? I don't remember Trophy ads on tv.

Me, I have, as I don't have cable, and what little TV I do watch is streamed, but I've seen plenty of ads on the internet for them. I don't recall seeing a single one for Trophy. Also, 822 and 8x were both given top billing the day before launch on VZW's site. Trophy never got that. Anyone who thinks Verizon has the same attitude now that they had when Trophy launched has their head buried in the sand.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3