Looking at Lumia 822

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
@ fooliod: I can see why some people would find these issues to be a problem, but none of these would effect me in the slightest. I don't subscribe to podcasts, I rarely, if ever use location services and I don't care about apps. I have like two or three apps that I actually use on my Droid. I'm not a heavy user. Email, texting and phone calls are my primary needs. I guess I'm really a Blackberry user in Android clothing... :) Thanks again to all the replied!

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Just got my 822 and its a great phone! Put a 64GB card and don't regret picking the 822 over the 8x at all.
Yeah the 8X looks nice but the non-replaceable battery and no micro sd storage is something I just can't deal with. The 822 is looking better and better. I've got about a month before I can upgrade. It's gonna be a long thirty days... :)

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I bought the Lumia 822 at launch and used it along side my Blackberry Bold 9930. As of yesterday I shut down my Bold and my 822 is my daily driver from now on. I cant say enough about the performance and reliability of the 822 its the best phone to date for me!

Shantanu Kongara

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Bought the Red Lumia 822 for my wife yesterday. It was free as part of our upgrade. The red version is phenomenal. Its a matte finish as opposed to the glossy red of the 820 or 920. Absolutely love the screen and build quality. Everything works smoothly. No issues yet. Having a hard time waiting for nokias announcement at MWC as I really like the 822. Holding on to my upgrade just for a possible high end lumia variant. Although I won't have any regrets going and getting myself a 822 as well.

srkirby

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I bought an 822 yesterday from a guy who no longer needed his. I had been wanting to try this phone since it came out, but am unable to upgrade until June. I really like this phone. The UI is very fluid, and the live tiles very neat. I am still trying to get everything set up the way I like. The only con I have found is the apps, but I absolutely knew this when I bought the phone. The one con I have with the apps is that they pale in comparison to the iOS versions I am used to. For instance, the Facebook app is horrible; this I was not expecting. I thought they would be the exact same. But, very minor inconvenience in all reality.

Overall, I am really happy with this phone. I may or may not use my upgrade in June. This phone is solid, not heavy in the slightest, even with an Otterbox Defender case on it, snappy, takes great pics, and 4G LTE rocks. I really don't think you'll be sorry if you get one.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I'm still leaning towards the 822. The only other phone I'm considering is the Droid Incredible LTE. I keep going back and forth but the 822 has the lead... This waiting is killing me... :smile:

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
If you are buying on contract, I would hurry up. I think the 'free' deal expires on 2/20. You may not care about $50 but just thought I'd mention it.

BSURenegade

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I actually own the Incredible 4G LTE and the Lumia 822. I got the Incredible on release day and was excited about it but that excitement went away quickly. It just seemed as though it isn't a well built phone, creaky all over, and just overall seems like HTC skimped out on it. I've had my Lumia 822 now for a couple weeks and haven't looked back since. I'm in love with it, and the Inc 4G is sitting in my desk. I came from pure Android phones before this and am happy I switched (had 7 Android phones, all rooted before). Just hoping more apps start being created for WP8, but overall am very happy. Just my two cents.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I actually own the Incredible 4G LTE and the Lumia 822. I got the Incredible on release day and was excited about it but that excitement went away quickly. It just seemed as though it isn't a well built phone, creaky all over, and just overall seems like HTC skimped out on it. I've had my Lumia 822 now for a couple weeks and haven't looked back since. I'm in love with it, and the Inc 4G is sitting in my desk. I came from pure Android phones before this and am happy I switched (had 7 Android phones, all rooted before). Just hoping more apps start being created for WP8, but overall am very happy. Just my two cents.
I appreciate the point of view. I've owned other HTC phones and was happy with them. The main reason I am considering the Incredible is that it's the size I'm looking for and will do everything I need out of a phone. The main thing I have to get over is whether or not I'm ready to ditch all my paid apps (not a big deal) and leave the Android ecosystem. I don't have any issues with Android at all. I was just so taken with the 822 that I started thinking about switching. I do like trying different types of phones and OS's so moving to WP is an opportunity to try something new. Thanks for your input. And thanks to everyone who took the time to chime in. I appreciate it.

mlcooper54

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I think my L822 is great. First off, I installed a 64 GB SanDisk Class 10 U1 card. Phone locked. Ran slow. Returned the card and replaced with another SanDisk 10 U1. All works great now. Have since added an LG HBS-700 bluetooth headset. Had a 1 1/2 hr converstion with the headset, moving from server room to telephone server/furnace room and back. Lots of background noise. Person on the other end never heard any background noise. Most recently purchased wireless charging back and wireless charging stand. Again, all working flawlessly. I've a couple lockups and one spontaneous reboot since solving the memory card problem. My understanding is the Portico update is supposed to solve lockups and random reboots. Have had the phone since a week or two after release. I'm listening to my music on my L822 as I write this. Phone is on charging stand and connected to my Jambox via Bluetooth. Jambox is propped on laptop, leaning against the display.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I think my L822 is great. First off, I installed a 64 GB SanDisk Class 10 U1 card. Phone locked. Ran slow. Returned the card and replaced with another SanDisk 10 U1. All works great now. Have since added an LG HBS-700 bluetooth headset. Had a 1 1/2 hr converstion with the headset, moving from server room to telephone server/furnace room and back. Lots of background noise. Person on the other end never heard any background noise. Most recently purchased wireless charging back and wireless charging stand. Again, all working flawlessly. I've a couple lockups and one spontaneous reboot since solving the memory card problem. My understanding is the Portico update is supposed to solve lockups and random reboots. Have had the phone since a week or two after release. I'm listening to my music on my L822 as I write this. Phone is on charging stand and connected to my Jambox via Bluetooth. Jambox is propped on laptop, leaning against the display.
Thanks for the reply. That's good to know about the SanDisk card.

pappy53

Banned
Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I just got an 822 yesterday, and although it is a really nice phone, there are a couple of things that may make me return it. My main negative is the lack of ability to use my own tones as alerts for e-mails and text messages. I can do it for ringtones, so why not the others. Plus, the e-mail and text alert tones seem like they are down to about half the volume of ringtones. This may not be a big deal to some people, but I am losing a little bit of hearing, and rely on my own loud tones. Other than that, it seems to be a really good phone so far. But I must say that an iPhone 5 is looking mighty good right now.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I just got an 822 yesterday, and although it is a really nice phone, there are a couple of things that may make me return it. My main negative is the lack of ability to use my own tones as alerts for e-mails and text messages. I can do it for ringtones, so why not the others. Plus, the e-mail and text alert tones seem like they are down to about half the volume of ringtones. This may not be a big deal to some people, but I am losing a little bit of hearing, and rely on my own loud tones. Other than that, it seems to be a really good phone so far. But I must say that an iPhone 5 is looking mighty good right now.
It's allowing me to use one of the ringtones that came with the SD card from my old BlackBerry that I threw in it, but not the other. I find this really weird. The other one ended up under my music instead of custom ringtones. Anyways, you got me thinking about this so I plugged my Lumia into my desktop and it's incredibly easy to move songs to it so you can use them as ringtones.

Last edited:

jdefuria

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I think my L822 is great. First off, I installed a 64 GB SanDisk Class 10 U1 card. Phone locked. Ran slow. Returned the card and replaced with another SanDisk 10 U1. All works great now.

I like others have similar problems with the microSD cards. Can you tell me what card you bought that works great...or did you actually buy a another card of the same make and model number and that one happened to work fine?

Erickson187

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I got the SanDisk 64 GB class 10, not the mobile one. I know Best buy has it with the digital camera section and had them price match amazon in Jan for like $50 but normally goes foe like $100.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
My SO had an 822 since early December, it is beautiful and works fantastic. Camera quality, build, and virtually every other aspect of the phone is unheard of at its price level. The initial OS release does have a couple of bugs, it has frozen 2 or 3 times since December. But that's not too bad for nonstop use of v1.0 of WP8. I am considering it for myself, and probably would have bought it by now if it were available in blue.

Erickson187

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
My SO had an 822 since early December, it is beautiful and works fantastic. Camera quality, build, and virtually every other aspect of the phone is unheard of at its price level. The initial OS release does have a couple of bugs, it has frozen 2 or 3 times since December. But that's not too bad for nonstop use of v1.0 of WP8. I am considering it for myself, and probably would have bought it by now if it were available in blue.

Have you seen the trident aegis case? I have it in blue and it looks really nice, the bottom also has some black in it because it is silicone infused with polycarbonate.

Should check it out i picked it uup with a car charger, stylus pen, and carrying case for $30 from a company called newyorkcellphonecompany who is a trusted amazon seller.

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I have had my L822 since a few weeks after launch. It is by far the best smart phone I have owned to date. my only gripe about this phone was that the back was sort of slippery. I solved that by getting an incipio feather case. Problem solved. You really have to love the micro sd card slot. I copied all my music from my computer to the card then popped the card in the phone. Everything was there, ready to use. I am a bit dissapointed that the wireless charging cover for the 822 is only available in black. I bought the grey version of the phone. Perhaps I shouldnt worry about that since the case fully covers the back. My wife is an iPhone user and she is going Windows Phone 8 for her next upgrade. What swayed me to get the Lumia 822 over the 8x was the micro SD card slot. I read alot about the differences in the screen but when I looked at them side by side I really didnt see much of a difference at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3