From Amber to Black and back

vk1971

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
So, the long story short, Black update or Update 3 messed up MY phone. I emphasize MY phone, because it well may be MY phone's fault, but I strongly doubt it. A couple of threads here at WPC, XDA-Developers and on MS Answers forum make me believe that there's something "not so good" with Black update or Update 3. You can see my troubles here if you care to.
OK, 3 or 4 days already from update and not even a sign of cure. Moreover, looks like only troubled 822 on the forum is MINE, so I guess chance to resolve the issue is quite bleak.
Since MY phone worked perfectly fine on Amber, I'd love to try a couple of ways to bring the phone to normal operational state:

1. Roll back to Amber and install only the Update 3. if it wont work then
2. Roll back to Amber

Your help in defining the options is very appreciated.

vk1971

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried the Nokia Recovery Tool?

Support - - Nokia - USA

This is a per device issue, and could have been caused by a bad cell/wifi signal at time of update
This is not a Black/GDR3 update problem in general.

Isn't it supposed to start downloading from the start if such thing happens and the update files get corrupted? I was confident that if the files are downloaded, they are fine and bad signal won't mess up the system.
Anyways, thank you for reply. I'm gonna give NRT a try. If no luck, then flashing Amber is the only solution.

@xandros9
Yes I've made hard reset after update.

vk1971

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi again
So, I've decided to flash Black stock ROM and wanted to follow this tutorial, but I've faced strange problem:
When I turn off my device and connect it to the USB cable (which itself is connected to PC) the phone turns itself on. That means I can't perform Volume Down + Power key combination, which is one of the steps of mentioned tutorial.
Is it a normal behavior or am I experiencing hardware failure of the 822?

carguy303

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi again
So, I've decided to flash Black stock ROM and wanted to follow this tutorial, but I've faced strange problem:
When I turn off my device and connect it to the USB cable (which itself is connected to PC) the phone turns itself on. That means I can't perform Volume Down + Power key combination, which is one of the steps of mentioned tutorial.
Is it a normal behavior or am I experiencing hardware failure of the 822?

you do it and plug it in when it buzzes

thinkdan

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
You just have to find the right time. I did it once and worked perfectly the first time. I think I had it plugged in and when the software asked for the connection, I did the Volume Down + Power combination and then clicked the button in the program when the phone was restarting.

vk1971

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I have flashed my phone using this excellent tutorial.
Seems like the update file has been damaged somehow during the download.
I tried to flash the phone but failed. I think Win XP was causing problems, after the PC was upgraded to Win 7 everything went properly. Now I've got fully functional Black update.

Wooo hooo :)

P.S. The Topic can be closed and consigned to oblivion :)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12