The Lumia 830 is UNBELIEVABLE!

Andrew Wilson1

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Okay so after reading a bunch of reviews and being on the fence about this phone, I bit the bullet and upgraded (I used to have a Lumia 1020 but the battery life was frustrating to me). My wife and I are both using the 830 and it is the best Windows Phone I have ever used (having owned 5 devices and tried probably 3 or 4 more). The battery life is amazing, the LTE speeds are great, the processor is more than fast enough (it feels tons faster than my 1020 even though benchmarks dont show a huge difference) and the build quality is top notch. Everyone keeps commenting on how nice it looks and feels, and having the SD upgrade is well worth it! Not to mention fitting a 5" screen in the same width as the 920/1020 with a much thinner body makes it seem like a huge upgrade. I couldn't be more happy!

L1020 -> 3G, email 15 minutes, most apps not updating or running in background = doesn't make it from 6AM-6PM
L830 -> LTE, all email push, tons more apps running in the background, pedometer on = makes it from 6AM-12AM with about 30% remaining on similar usage

None of this is scientific, but I thought I would offer my 2 cents for those who are on the fence!

luv2skipow

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you on all counts.
Hard to believe I am dumping my 1520 for it but the form factor, weight and performance even given the lightweight processor are amazing.
I have had positive feedback on it even from iPhone junkies.

Tellus82

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I got mine today and i am really very pleased with it, by far the best phone i have owned (comming from Android 4.4.x) When Microsoft calls it an affordable flagship i see and understand what they mean, it might not have the best SoC but everything else is damn near perfect. When i bought it i had the coice to buy the 930 for the same price (big discount) but i think the 830 is just a better allround device.

Loc Ngo

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Lol, I love reading comments of people complimenting the 830 recalling how harsh people were prior to the release. Keep 'em coming, folks. I'm glad that you like your device :)

Jean Sagarese

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
You don't miss the megapixels? That is something I have been concerned over since I don't always have the space to carry my bulky camera and the phone is always with me.

Andrew Wilson1

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Not as much as I would have thought. The 830's camera is damn good, don't get me wrong, the 1020 beats it pretty easily, but the 830 is more than good enough for every day use. The 1020 is getting a camera grip and the "vacation camera" designation for us :)

Solar 77

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
That's good to know. What colour did you get? Am I the only one just a bit disappointed that they don't have a cyan cover available? I always liked that shade. haha

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
That's good to know. What colour did you get? Am I the only one just a bit disappointed that they don't have a cyan cover available? I always liked that shade. haha

Cyan would be nice, but I'm surprised there's no bright yellow either... like the shell they made for the Lumia 635. Either color would look great with that metal frame.

Joe Dubya

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Cyan would be nice, but I'm surprised there's no bright yellow either... like the shell they made for the Lumia 635. Either color would look great with that metal frame.
I'm with all of you, maybe they'll launch new colors in a few months if L830 sells well? Mine came with black and green in the box, I keep changing depending on my mood (didn't think I'd like the green so much) Will pick up orange and maybe white online... Love this device / denim / latest WP8.1.

Joe Dubya

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Lol, I love reading comments of people complimenting the 830 recalling how harsh people were prior to the release. Keep 'em coming, folks. I'm glad that you like your device :)
guilty, wanted a replacement for my 920 and didn't think this would be it.... Ticks all of the boxes for me except I would have like the 20MP shooter...

Andrew Wilson1

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I got silver frame with black back and it looks sharp. I would prefer cyan too, but I figure you can replace it if that ever comes out. Don't be fooled by the megapixel count, the camera is very capable. Try to get your hands on one and see for yourself!

shamrock1988

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm loving it so far. I had a 925 before it and its impressing me.

I smashed my 925's screen by accident and I'm terrified of hitting this one. Any nice cases / covers? Any on eBay are horrible

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Yes, nice to real so many positive impressions. The number of people lining up to bash this phone before it was released was probably only surpassed by the number of people lining up for the new iphones! Its also good to see it get such wide adoption by Canadian carriers, as opposed to the usual exclusivity BS. Might not be a flagship (which historically have not sold well) but it seems to hit the sweet spot and will hopefully be a strong seller along with the other affordable Lumia devices.

Bodeanicus

Banned
Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Yes, nice to real so many positive impressions. The number of people lining up to bash this phone before it was released was probably only surpassed by the number of people lining up for the new iphones! Its also good to see it get such wide adoption by Canadian carriers, as opposed to the usual exclusivity BS. Might not be a flagship (which historically have not sold well) but it seems to hit the sweet spot and will hopefully be a strong seller along with the other affordable Lumia devices.

I don't recall anyone bashing the specs. They were bashing the price, and rightfully so.

Tellus82

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I don't recall anyone bashing the specs. They were bashing the price, and rightfully so.
Well, "rightfully so" might be your oppinion on the matter but some would disagree. Especially seeing how much you get for your money if you care to look past the SoC.

The difference between 830&730 is only camera, screen size and metal side frame isn't it? Then I think Lumia 730 is the better choice

Microphones and codec support also differ for video recording, not having OIS makes quite the difference on the camera. 830 also has a gyroscope, Wi-Fi Channel bonding, LTE network bands: 1, 3, 7, 8, 20. instad of 3, 7, 20 on the 735 and none on 730, 16GB internal instead of 8, Sensor enhanced positioning, Dolby Headphone. I Think that's most of the differences

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills