When will AT&T Lumia 830 get PROPER Denim update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
@ Noahma:

I'm glad you're doing something to push back and do hope you get some results.

I'd suggest reaching out to MS (somehow...I don't know how) as they are as much to blame as AT&T in this case. They are fortunate a class action suit was never filed (if this had been a product like an iPhone, there certainly would have been).

Good luck.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
just left a voicemail with the rep that contacted me and told him that the "buyers remorse time lapsed excuse was not a good one, and go to go back to the bean counters and tell them that the refusal to refund the cost of the phone would cost them 5220 / year via 7 lines leaving AT&T.

I doubt it will do anything, but I will be a pain in their *** as long as I am using their network.

I also referenced the article Daniel was kind enough to do
Thanks for getting the ball rolling. For what it's worth, I just submitted a complaint to the BBB as well.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
@ Noahma:

I'm glad you're doing something to push back and do hope you get some results.

I'd suggest reaching out to MS (somehow...I don't know how) as they are as much to blame as AT&T in this case. They are fortunate a class action suit was never filed (if this had been a product like an iPhone, there certainly would have been).

Good luck.

I get people's frustration but this doesn't rise to the level of "damage" for a class action suit and "if" it did, ya'll would get maybe "$5.00"

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I have a couple 983's coming in next week. I may give this a shot, just for grins a giggles.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I get people's frustration but this doesn't rise to the level of "damage" for a class action suit and "if" it did, ya'll would get maybe "$5.00"
That may be so, but it's better than sitting on my hands and getting more pissed off by the minute. Any of us leaving AT&T isn't going to amount to a hill of beans either but I'm not going to continue rewarding them for bad behavior.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering if the guy at ATT that responded even knows what's going on? Could it be that he is misinformed and ATT may still release it? Or maybe MS will package it with win 10?

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
...but this doesn't rise to the level of "damage" for a class action suit ....

It most certainly does. Class actions aren't always about seeking financial compensation for damages.

However, with now only AT&T 830 customers without the firmware, it wouldn't be worth it financially for anyone involved, but a suit could still be very effective... If someone had the means, and will, to see it through.

But, yes, you are right. Realistically it would never happen in this situation for this product.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering if the guy at ATT that responded even knows what's going on? Could it be that he is misinformed and ATT may still release it? Or maybe MS will package it with win 10?

From the tone in his voice he was just as confused at the reply from the software department as to why they told him they had no plans to release it for the 830, but did release it for the 1520 which had been discontinued by AT&T at that point. I hope to hear back from him sometime this week regarding my reply to his BBB comment. We will see what I am told then. Hopefully the extra BBB complaints on his desk will push this matter further. In the past I did what everyone else did and just sat back and waited. I am tired of doing that. I am angry, and want answers.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I never cared about compensation. I want ATT to hear us out in any shape or form. Any reply from them to the BBB complaints fulfils the purpose in my opinion. And the broadcast by Daniel was very satisfying.

Last edited:

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Like I mentioned before... the people replying to BBB claims are there to do just that. The quicker they close the complaint, the more it looks like "they care", even when they don't.

What does irk me, besides the fact that AT&T has done nothing, is the a page or 2 back there was another reply someone else got and it was mostly ignored here.

If they are attempting to close the claim in less than 3-4 days, then there is a good chance that they did ZERO research into the issue. They just want the cased closed.

Now, looking at the documentation in my 830 box, there is nothing substantial I could use to validate a claim. It came with a Denim variant (early, not in formware but software, etc), mentions Nokia Camera, not Lumia Camera, no mention of Netflix anywhere, nada.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
The Netflix issue is a bug, it would not be in the documentation. Look at the marketing material as well as the release for denim / 830,735 and 730. They state that the 930 would be one of the first to relieve the update, and the 830 would be the first devices released with denim on board

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Look at the marketing material as well as the release for denim / 830,735 and 730.
I never took screenshots, but I remember the advertisement for Lumia Camera features together with the picture of a Lumia 830. Unfortunately, as you point out, ATT did not make that promise, but MS/Nokia. We bought the BLT but only got the lettuce...

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
There were advertisements in the AT&T stores when the device was released. The employees at the boulder Colorado store were the ones that pushed me over the edge into getting the 830 over the HTC one which was meant to hold me over until the next flagship

Microsoft stated "it also ships with the latest Lumia denim update that we talked about earlier"
starting at the 11:00 min mark in the release presentation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm8RSAFW4L0

I am trying to figure out how to get ahold of someone at Microsoft to plead my case, it may end up in another BBB complaint to get the ball rolling on that front too then.

I could also add, that EVERY variant of the 830 has Denim as of now EXCEPT the AT&T variant. this tells me fully that it is Not a Microsoft problem, it is an AT&T problem. Microsoft has met its obligation to release the firmware to the carriers, the carriers mainly AT&T is failing to meet their end of the obligation of getting it tested and on my device.

Last edited:

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
The Netflix issue is a bug, it would not be in the documentation. Look at the marketing material as well as the release for denim / 830,735 and 730. They state that the 930 would be one of the first to relieve the update, and the 830 would be the first devices released with denim on board

and it did come with denim, just an early version...

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I think complaining is our only option, so we should all b*&^h as much and as loudly as possible. Probably won't amount to much, but sitting here quietly and eating AT&T's s*&t definitely won't change anything. The bigger pain in their a$$ we are, the better.

All we can do now as individuals is tell AT&T to f off, which I for one, plan on doing.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
and it did come with denim, just an early version...

It did technically come with a pre-release beta version of Denim, the release at IFA implied that the camera updates WOULD be preinstalled on the 830. If you look at the part they talked about "earlier" they spent a large majority of the time talking about the camera capabilities of Denim, which by and large was a camera update. They went right after stating that Denim would come preinstalled on the 830 to talking about the camera update. Therefore anyone watching the release would have garnered that the full denim, (camera updates and all) would be preinstalled on the 830.

I am still searching for the AT&T marketing materials for the 830, it has to be out there somewhere as I saw it before I purchased my 830

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I could also add, that EVERY variant of the 830 has Denim as of now EXCEPT the AT&T variant.

Last I checked... It was the AT&T 830 and the Argentina Country Variant 830 that were missing full Denim. That CV has also dropped off the Software Update lists...

Just sayin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon