White Lumia 900 kicks A**, android not up to WP7's level of beauty

danwc

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Got tired of waiting for local att store to get more cyan in stock. Have had a data issue with my original cyan that was getting progressively worse. Didn't want to wait too long to replace so I had enough time to make sure the replacement phone didn't have any more issues. They had 3 white ones in stock, so I took one of them.

WOW! While I like the color of the cyan, the white just feels better in the hand. The sides feel "curvier" which makes the phone feel thinner, less chunky in the hand, easier to hold while typing in portrait. The ends feel more tapered, too. Almost like the plastic itself is thinner and more fluid (of course, don't know what that might mean for durability!).

So far the data bug I was having on the cyan one hasn't resurfaced. The camera seems to take better shots indoors. Still noisy, but MUCH less dark, definitely usable, if still not great. The camera button so far has woken the phone every time. The power button seems clickier, more hollow sounding. The vibration sounds better. The cyan's was more of a grinding sound I guess (it didn't bother me and I wouldn't have said it was bad) but this one's is much smoother, sounds like my electric razor. Interestingly, this seems to be coming from the upper left of the phone, I would have said the cyan's vibration felt like it was coming from the lower left. The one negative I've discovered is I have the "purple keyboard" issue. In most settings the keyboard and any dark grey text boxes or text sub-headings appears purple. While not ideal, and I hope a software update might take care of it, if the rest of it stays functioning I can deal with it.

Anyway's, I'm digging my new phone, and thought the perceived differences between them interesting. I didn't notice a difference between the black and the cyan in the store; they seemed the same aside from color.

As an aside: The data issues with my cyan had gotten me down, and reports of some Titan 2 owners having similar issues have had me fearing that perhaps there is some broader system or network back-end issue with LTE-enabled WP7 handsets. Preparing for the eventuality that a new WP7 handset might not work right now, I went and looked at the galaxy nexus and ONE-S today on my way to exchange the lumia. While on paper they seem like they would be contenders, in person they so underwhelm me in comparison to WP7. WP7 pays so much more attention to detail and design. I really think this is the OS for me. As tempting as a larger ecosystem can sound at times, the reality doesn't withstand the reality test for me. I'm really looking forward to WP8 tablets (and of course the phones too). But I keep thinking it might be nice to have my tablet (currently a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1) and my phone "match up" (though I do like having a foot in each camp, too).

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm bringing my Cyan one in today and swapping for a white one. The lag issue on my 900 is driving me NUTS. I really hope it's not wide spread issue. I also hope the vibrate on the white one is better like I am hearing.

Those are my only two issues with the 900..

I hope Nokia releases a firmware update soon to clear up all the little issues people are having.

Making what could be a "perfect" phone only a "good" phone.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I was at the ATT store yesterday swapping my black for a white. My white has issues now and I'm looking to get a replacement white one. And like you I felt the vibration has improved. I hope the next one I get isn't problematic. It does look and feel better though.

Oh, I checked out the HTC One-X. If I didnt like WP7, then it would be that phone. Despite its beefed up specs, it still lagged a bit in transitions surprisingly. The screen is nice though and overall seems like a solid phone. Take great pics too.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
THERE IS NO PLASTIC ON THE WHITE LUMIA, PLEASE EVERYONE STOP CALLING IT THAT

Sent from my Samsung Focus S using Board Express.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I did the same and exchanged my black one that had a clicking on the screen upper left corner a white one and its been great the only thing is the purplish keyboard deal but it's not all that bad and the camera does seem to be a little bit better.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I went and checked out the white one and it sounded almost identical when it vibrated - really it's not a big deal to me. It's the lag that kills me and the 900 is the only Windows Phone that has ever lagged to me. Of course when I tried to show the manager the lag in Wordament it didn't do it at all! I could swipe as fast as possible and it kept up (like my 4 other windows phones do).

I held off on swapping out my phone for now. Maybe it will get better lol. Who knows!

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I went and checked out the white one and it sounded almost identical when it vibrated - really it's not a big deal to me. It's the lag that kills me and the 900 is the only Windows Phone that has ever lagged to me. Of course when I tried to show the manager the lag in Wordament it didn't do it at all! I could swipe as fast as possible and it kept up (like my 4 other windows phones do).

I held off on swapping out my phone for now. Maybe it will get better lol. Who knows!

It's not lag. What you are experiencing on other phones is called inertial scrolling. Where the scrolling speed is dynamic based on the speed of your flick or can even build speed with more flicks in succession. For some reason Nokia has not implemented that on the Lumia 900.

It is a little jarring though when you are used to it. But it is not lag; the phone is performing as it should.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes