My Lumia 900 just died.

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
I woke up this morning and found my Lumia 900 in perfect working condition. Then suddenly, when i tried to power it on (from idle) it would not register my swipes. When i press the on/off button it shows my background and top of the screen indicators (the battery one has a ?), but does not register any of my swipes. I tried powering it off, but of course, I couldn't swipe down. Now, i can't even press and hold the on/off button to get it to the "Swipe down to power off" screen. I was told by the Nokia chat that it was a hardware problem, but how could that have happened so suddenly? I'm trying to drain the battery by continually pressing the camera button (only thing that keeps the screen bright), in hopes that it will power on again.

Any comments, concerns, advice?

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
No advice, hasn't happened to me, but i wouldnt even try to do the draining thing to see if it powers up, i would just get a warranty exchange.

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
No advice, hasn't happened to me, but i wouldnt even try to do the draining thing to see if it powers up, i would just get a warranty exchange.
My problem is that there is a smalls scratch on the screen so warranty through AT&T is invalid because they give you a refurbished phone, fix your broken one, and give that one to someone else as a refurb. Problem with Nokia is that I don't have another phone that fits the same SIM card in to it, so while it's being fixed I wouldn't have a phone to use.

Any advice for this one?

Brunothesheep

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
An ATT warranty exchange is your only option. They will ship you a new phone and once its there, you return the old one. I don't understand why you think the warranty is invalid just because of a scratch. That's normal wear and tear and doesn't void your warranty. Also, you ALWAYS get a refurb, unless you're within the 30 days exchange window.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 900 using Board Express

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
An ATT warranty exchange is your only option. They will ship you a new phone and once its there, you return the old one. I don't understand why you think the warranty is invalid just because of a scratch. That's normal wear and tear and doesn't void your warranty. Also, you ALWAYS get a refurb, unless you're within the 30 days exchange window.

I thought that because the last person I talked too said they'd probably charge me. However, you were right on about using the AT&T warranty, they said they'd give me a new refurb phone and I could send them mine with the scratch being "wear and tear." We'll see if they end up charging me.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I thought that because the last person I talked too said they'd probably charge me. However, you were right on about using the AT&T warranty, they said they'd give me a new refurb phone and I could send them mine with the scratch being "wear and tear." We'll see if they end up charging me.

Not sure if the scratch will play a role, you are doing an exchange for hardware issues, not the scratch. It just so happens your phone has a scratch.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I've done an exchange with ATT warranty before (for hardware related problems), and my phone had corner dings on it. I don't think you'll have any problems.

Brunothesheep

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Most of the RMA returns are gutted, and parts used to fix other phones.
The refurbs that are sent out or sold are phones that are returned within their initial 30 day period for a variety of reasons, the main one being that people didn't like the phone. So you're basically getting a brand new phone.
Plus side to a warranty exchange is that your original warranty continues. So let's say you bought your phone on 5/1. Warranty would cover it until 1 year from that date. The warranty phone will continue through that date. =)

ppoteet

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I am on my second L900. My first one stopped reponding. It was outside the 30 days, but I got a replacement by the 1yr Nokia warranty.

I think I may have to do it again. My phone is acting up. Capacitive keys unresponsive and now there is moisture bhind the 2nd camera. very frustrating

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
OP if you hold the power button down for about 20 seconds the phone will power off and back on again you don't need to wait for the battery to drain

mworsham

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
OP if you hold the power button down for about 20 seconds the phone will power off and back on again you don't need to wait for the battery to drain

I agree with this OP. I had the same thing happen once, with the ??? marks and everything... Holding the power button down for 20 - 30 seconds shut the phone down, and it did boot up again and has been fine ever since.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Are you sure the battery is not dead, or near dead. I mean the battery meter is showing ? so how do you know. Does it take a charge? If not, try plugging it in and hold the power button down for several minutes. This will give the battery enough juice to start recharging. Can't hurt, if your plan is to exchange.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the help guys. The phone is fine after having it reboot.

This may sound like a far out hypothesis but it seemed like the hardware (screen and capacitive buttons) didn't realize that the software was actually on. At least that's what it felt like. Still plan on returning just in case. No hard feeling though ;]

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the help guys. The phone is fine after having it reboot.

This may sound like a far out hypothesis but it seemed like the hardware (screen and capacitive buttons) didn't realize that the software was actually on. At least that's what it felt like. Still plan on returning just in case. No hard feeling though ;]
Interesting. Curious though. So you would rather exchange you phone for a return, requiring you to lose any saved info, setup, sync and download all your stuff again, because one time your phone glitched, possibly due to a third party app conflict, or some other peculiarity that may never happen again.

If less than 30 days old, maybe (personally, wouldn't), but if more than 30 (being a L900 can't be more than 105) what's the rush. Aren't you curious as to why it happened. Are you convinced it's hardware related. If not, how about a hard reset. That's what you will get with a replacement anyway.

Guess I will need to return/exchange a phone someday to find out how all this works.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)