Lumia 920/WP 8 Verdict: Not so good so far...

eddieolong

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I have to be real guys, I'm coming from owning an iPhone 4 32G and really wanted to like this Lumia 920. It's a gorgeous phone, big screen, cheap, I love the live tiles and snappy processor. However, I'm losing my patience with WP 8. I don't like having to log in to so many separate subsystems to make purchases etc. and now I can't find my music I purchased. I reset my phone to the factory settings, but backed it up to the Skydrive prior, and now my music is missing. I tried to re-download it and now I have to re-enter my credit card info. WTF?? It says in the menu that the info is not stored on the phone for security, so where is it? And why the F are they charging me for it AGAIN? My apps are there for the most part (I'm not sure if they're all there yet bc it doesn't keep track of what I've purchased). I don't know if I can keep this phone. I still have my iPhone and may switch back if this doesn't get resolved. I miss the double-click for music on the iPhone and quick navigating.

Can anyone help me with the music issue? I can't find anything in any FAQ/Help section online or on the phone. I'm losing my mind with this but I want to figure it out, I love the phone.

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I have to be real guys, I'm coming from owning an iPhone 4 32G and really wanted to like this Lumia 920. It's a gorgeous phone, big screen, cheap, I love the live tiles and snappy processor. However, I'm losing my patience with WP 8. I don't like having to log in to so many separate subsystems to make purchases etc. and now I can't find my music I purchased. I reset my phone to the factory settings, but backed it up to the Skydrive prior, and now my music is missing. I tried to re-download it and now I have to re-enter my credit card info. WTF?? It says in the menu that the info is not stored on the phone for security, so where is it? And why the F are they charging me for it AGAIN? My apps are there for the most part (I'm not sure if they're all there yet bc it doesn't keep track of what I've purchased). I don't know if I can keep this phone. I still have my iPhone and may switch back if this doesn't get resolved. I miss the double-click for music on the iPhone and quick navigating.

Can anyone help me with the music issue? I can't find anything in any FAQ/Help section online or on the phone. I'm losing my mind with this but I want to figure it out, I love the phone.
you don't get charged for apps once you purchase them, it will show you buy but after you press "buy" it will say "looks like you already purchased download again" something like that, same with your music, if you purchased it click buy and it'll tell you "you aready purchased download again"

eddieolong

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I tried to download the same song. I was charged, there was no message about a previous purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't think he's dumb or a troll or anything, just used to the ease of iOS and a little frustrated right now. Any other phone will be a bit daunting at first if you've lived in the the iOS ecosystem for the past few years.

eddieolong

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for helping out, I am VERY frustrated. No, I logged in with my new .live account to make it easy. I just logged out and back in and it still made me pay for the music. I may have to call xbox live if they have contact info.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Hmm. Connected my new Surface and WP8 PCs to my MS Account (hotmail) and all my XBox music immediately synced; purchased and DRM stuff (Zune Music Pass). I would expect WP8 to work the same way. Your experience is not typical, if that helps. Don't give up yet.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Tyresian

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm confused as well. I purchased music on my old phone and when I switched to the 920 my music showed up immediately. I didn't even do anything, so I don't know what is happening unless it was a different account or something about your settings is different.

iphonemilk

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
"Some people are just plain dumb. And try to blame their sorroundings. Meh. I just ignore them."

There are LEGIT issues with WP8 and with the 920, I've got one,

Thanks for your mature response and contribution to this thread though.

iphonemilk

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
WP8 and Windows 8 right now is a Hott mess..

There's a huge problem putting PURCHASED tv shows and videos on my phone, it just plain doesn't even work, i'm getting DRM Errors.

browsing about this online there's tons of threads on Microsoft support with people talking about this.

I have a FRESH install of Windows 8, i downloaded some movies through videos, tried to transfer to my brand new L920 using the Windows phone app and it error messages right away.

Music works though.

Necroscope

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I feel your pain. I have never used IOS, so I can't be much help. But, I can simpathize. My wife and kids all have iPhone 4. They got them a couple of months ago for free with renewal. Seemed like a good deal to get them all in the smart phone world. We opted into a shared data plan. Went from 3 messaging phones + 3 smart phones(with 3 data plans) to 6 smart phones and a 10 gig shared plan and shaved about $40 off our monthly bill.

Anyway, My wife asked me to show her how to forward a text message on her iPhone. Pretty basic, right? Actually she said, "I wish I could send this text to so-and-so without having to re-type it!", and I said, "No problem, you just have to forward it to them." --- It took me 5 minutes to figure out how to do it. :blush: I was embarrased that it took me so long and just a little frustrated myself.

Again, I am not very iSavvy, but is this music you purchased through iTunes?

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
"I don't like having to log in to so many separate subsystems"

This is what confuses me most... what sepparate subsystems did you have to log into? I created a live account and a pin for my purchases. That is it. The only additional logins I had to do was for social networking and work email, which is, and always will be, expected. I bought one song so far through a link generated by Nokia music while streaming and it shows up on windows 8, and I would bet xbox, however I haven't tried the latter. I guess my only question is, are you sure you actually bought the music to being with (there are charges visible on your credit card)?

Also, you can easily double tap lock (sleep/wake) and get to the music menu. Same number of taps as in iOS, just a different method of getting it done. Or, if the phone is already in lock, tap the sleep/wake once and your controls are there again. Tap anywhere in the bar and it will open straight to music as well.

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
you don't get charged for apps once you purchase them, it will show you buy but after you press "buy" it will say "looks like you already purchased download again" something like that, same with your music, if you purchased it click buy and it'll tell you "you aready purchased download again"

This only works for apps in my experience. For apps you can even go on the marketplace website and view every app you've downloaded, and download as many times to your phone as you wish. For music there is no way to see your purchase history or re-download and not get charged again.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I must disagree. If you are already familiar with the OS the transition is completely seamless. I'd say have a little patience to get used to the new environment before coming here with your cries of frustration.

A few of you are coming off as impatient and unwilling to do a little due diligence (ie: reading directions).

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
This only works for apps in my experience. For apps you can even go on the marketplace website and view every app you've downloaded, and download as many times to your phone as you wish. For music there is no way to see your purchase history or re-download and not get charged again.
Not true. In desktop Zune, there is a place to view all purchased music...I'm not around my laptop, but I'll tell you where it's located :).

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Hey OP we need more details to try and help. If you gave us a step by step brake down of what you have dont I'm sure we could help. At the moment things aren't clear.

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
yes, your music shows up instantly on your phone but it may not physically be on your phone but on the cloud.So when you play your music it isn't necessarily from your phone you may be actually streaming it from the cloud using massive amounts of data. I would disconnect my wifi and data and then try to play your music.If it is physically on your phone it will still play, if not you've been streaming it from the cloud.To physically transfer your music to your phone connect it to your computer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon