920 purchase experience

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I thought my 920 purchase experience was a little interesting so I thought I would share it with everyone.

My phone was paid for by my work but I left for a new job and had to port the number to my own account. It was a bit of an ordeal and I had to work with the manager of the store quite a bit to make it happen. He talked to me a lot about the upcoming 920 (this was early November) and told me about his hands on with it and that we was going to swap his SGIII for a 920 when he got it. He was very friendly and made a point to email when he knew anything about the 920. Very cool level of service. He even called me when he went to special hands on event and rubbed it in that he got to play with a bunch of cool Microsoft stuff.

Finally the 920 came out and my wife and I went to pick up two of them. She was coming from a Focus that she was using on Smart Talk and we were switching to a shared family plan. We went to the store on 11/12/12 and the place was crazy. Lots of people buying phones for the holiday. It was weird though - there were always people looking at the 920s and 8x. Literally the second someone moved away from them someone else went up and played with them. The problem was it seemed the sales people kept directing them to other phones. Anyways after almost two hours we finally got help but had to leave right after because our 9 month old was doing being in the store (I am amazed she made it that long).

So we come back on Tuesday and get seen fairly soon. I tell the rep what I want, which was a fairly long list and he gets to work. He pulls out one of each color and the JBL speakers. There is no way I am spending $300 on a little speaker so I had him take it away. We look at the phones. I wanted a white one, I have a white 900 and really like the look and feel. I thought my wife would get the red but man, that thing is RED. It was just too bright and she didn't want it and she didn't like the black. She really wanted the blue but they didn't have it. Anyways, at this point I could tell the rep, while helpful, wasn't really happy to be helping us. I asked him why it seemed like all the reps were directing people away from Windows Phones. He said "It has no apps". I gave him the "you can't be serious" look and he immediately commented that they only has a little over 120k apps. The he said "and they don't even have a Pandora app" and make this face like how pitiful is that!

I was all set to argue with him and point out all the bad stuff about Apple and Android but knew it wasn't worth it. I was happy getting my 920 and knew it was better than any of the other phones on the market. Really that's all I needed.

The next day I get an email from the store manager. He said he was sorry he couldn't help me personally (he was away) but he wanted to know how the experience was. I told him everyone was helpful but his rep made me sad. Well not even three minutes later I got a call and he wanted me to explain. I asked if it was going to get anyone in trouble and he said no. So I explained how the lack of people pushing Windows Phones was disheartening and I told him what the sales person said. The manager laughed and said "Well guess who just earned himself a brand new Lumia 920 for the next 3 months!?". I laughed too. Maybe after using the 920 for that long the sales person won't have such a small mind about offering all the phones to customers.

So my experience was a mixed bag. Awesome store manager and while helpful, not the best sales person. You should never talk down about a product someone is actively buying from you.

Sorry if this was too long but I felt like sharing.

Oh yeah and I forgot to mention. My wife ended up getting the white one and I got the black because I didn't want to mix up the phones. When I told the manager about this part he said "I think I can manage for a blue one to make it to my store and she can trade".

koldmiser

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
When I picked mine up I was disappointed to see they have the 920's right next to iphone display. My sales person though was not an apple fan boy. He was an android fan, but had said he was really impressed with the 920. He was very helpful and we were in and out in under an hour with 2 phones.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Well, if the salesrep is hung up on apps, he may still be disappointed. After all, it DOESN'T have Pandora yet. Nokia music is great, but not so much to a person that has dozens of customized Pandora stations ready and waiting upon login. But I get where you are coming from. People get excited about the things they know. People know Android and iOS as they have had time to mature on the market. Sales reps are people. See where I am going? :)

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
You can just go to the pandora website - it works great. I listened to Pandora through 3 workouts so far without issue - no app needed.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I am not a fan of Slacker at all bit it's good that there is an option for everyone :)

Nokia music and Pandora are the perfect mix for me.

tehkei

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
when I walked in there was a long wait to check out the lumia 920. glad I didn't wait for my turn. I just got put in a queue to see the sales rep. he was helpful, he had a white lumia and a yellow one on hand to show me. the white looked nicer so I bought the 2nd to last one they had available. He set it up and I was on my way, there was no aggressive push to make me buy an iphone or android, the sales rep had no negative things to say about the phone. my experience was not a bad one.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
when I walked in there was a long wait to check out the lumia 920. glad I didn't wait for my turn. I just got put in a queue to see the sales rep. he was helpful, he had a white lumia and a yellow one on hand to show me. the white looked nicer so I bought the 2nd to last one they had available. He set it up and I was on my way, there was no aggressive push to make me buy an iphone or android, the sales rep had no negative things to say about the phone. my experience was not a bad one.

When I bought my 900 my experience like was that. The rep was very positive about the 900 in general. Guess it all depends where you go.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
You can just go to the pandora website - it works great. I listened to Pandora through 3 workouts so far without issue - no app needed.
Does your screen not have to be on for this? If it does... deal breaker for me...

By the way, supposedly we are getting Pandora in January. We will also get one year of premium membership for free. This is based on what the MS store rep was telling me.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Does your screen not have to be on for this? If it does... deal breaker for me...

By the way, supposedly we are getting Pandora in January. We will also get one year of premium membership for free. This is based on what the MS store rep was telling me.

Nope screen can be off and you can pause it without unlocking the phone too. Works great. Really the app isn't needed at all. Unless you happen to be using net with http blocked or something.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon