Turn off 4G LTE on AT&T Lumia 920

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
In my house there is only 0-2 bars of 4G LTE while constantly having full bars on 3G/4G HSPA. So I was thinking maybe I can get a better/faster data connection by disabling 4G LTE so that my cellular data could camp on the stronger 3G/4G HSPA signal. But it is not so straight forward on an AT&T Lumia 920. Apparently that option is disabled in the Cellular setting (strangely iPhone 5 has that option). So after a couple of hours' research on the web, I have succeeded in "forcing" it onto the 3G/4G HSPA connection and disabling the 4G LTE connection. For anyone interested to give it a try, here are the steps:

1) Dial ##3282# to get into Field Test mode
2) Once in, go to Settings menu by tapping on the 3 little dots in the bottom right corner
3) Choose "3G only" in the Network Type field and "automatic" in the UMTS band field
4) Turn "Toggle ENS (reboot required)" option Off
5) Power off your device by pressing the Power On/Off hardware button
6) Turn on your device again and you will see only "4G" displayed on the top of your screen without "LTE".

;)

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I think I remember some folks doing this in WP7 and said that it was actually giving false reading. Even though it was showing 3G they were still actually still getting 4G or LTE.

UnfixedPyle

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Where I work, I end up draining my battery because it gets 2-3 Bars of Edge network, but continually looks for the 0-1 bar of 3G/4G (Not LTE) Any Idea exactly how to select 2G only? I realize that setting is in there but does it require the reboot or anything else? thanks

anon(5395037)

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yeah in settings menu you have a option to change network type. You dont need to do this strange things :].
I've always 3G turned on and when im in train or something when most of the time i've edge crap im turning to 2G with data transmission off ;].

pdskep

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah in settings menu you have a option to change network type. You dont need to do this strange things :].
I've always 3G turned on and when im in train or something when most of the time i've edge crap im turning to 2G with data transmission off ;].
AT&T does not allow this in the network settings menu.

RonnieJP

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Looks like after today's AT&T Lumia 920 software update (1232.5951.1249.0001), dialing ##3282# no longer accesses the Field Test menu. It just triggers the SMS message tone and displays USSD and your mobile phone number on a new screen. Before the update, I had ENS toggled off and network settings to 3G only. I wonder if the update toggled ENS back to "on" and reset network back to "automatic"? I'll have to drive to an area that has LTE and see if it switches from "4G". Has anyone else noticed this and/or found another way to get into the network settings after the update?

tibere86

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Looks like after today's AT&T Lumia 920 software update (1232.5951.1249.0001), dialing ##3282# no longer accesses the Field Test menu. It just triggers the SMS message tone and displays USSD and your mobile phone number on a new screen. Before the update, I had ENS toggled off and network settings to 3G only. I wonder if the update toggled ENS back to "on" and reset network back to "automatic"? I'll have to drive to an area that has LTE and see if it switches from "4G". Has anyone else noticed this and/or found another way to get into the network settings after the update?
Thought I was the only one who noticed this. I can confirm ##3283# no longer gets you into the Test Menu. The phone is back to "automatic" network mode with no way to change :(

RonnieJP

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
@tibere86

Are you getting LTE now? I had mine forced to "3G" in an attempt to save some battery life when I'm not in an LTE area. Just wondered if the update locks the phone in the last settings state and that it may no longer switch to LTE when in an area where it's available?

SofaTester

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
##8282## doesn't work anymore yet my settings are still saved from before wtf!!!

I selected to turn off 3G/4G/LTE in my home because I get bad service, so I only wanted EDGE which gets full service, and I'm on WiFi so no need for anything but EDGE, would rather have the good service.

Post update, I'm still on EDGE everywhere and have no way to change it, I basically just lost LTE/4G with this update. Holy.Sh*t.

SofaTester

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Nokia Care confirms this option is no longer available on the new update.

Still trying to get a fix on how to reset my settings to get LTE/4G back.

jreed3000

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Same - WTF - this was a perfect work around via pinning it as a contact to the start screen. Now I'm locked into 3g (phone says 4g) with no way of changing back to auto or 2g. Is there a different ##xxxx## code?

Nokia Care confirms this option is no longer available on the new update.

Still trying to get a fix on how to reset my settings to get LTE/4G back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3