Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes

Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    So I got my new phone yesterday and I am loving it apart from the hoops I am having to jump through to get music and video on to the device.

I know until some dev comes up with a app to play back mkv files we will have to convert them or at least change the container. So I used mkv convert which works fine on videos for my Surface but on the Nokia I get a codec error. So I tried put these on the phone using the Nokia convert option but that is actually converting the file which is far too long and not not a ideal work around. Anyone have any suggestion on changing the wrapper around the mkv file so it plays back as a mp4?

What software have you been using? I always used handbrake but admittedly never really used it for my phone.

Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    I only really had a quick play with Handbrake but that to tried to convert the file rather change the container (maybe I need to look again). On my Surface I can use a app called MKV Converter and it takes about 30 seconds to convert a TV show but the same app doesn't seem to work on the Lumia.

Have you tried using the windows phone app (beta) to sync once the files are converted.

I generally don't watch the same content on my tv AND phone, so I have been using the smaller .avi files for my phone and the larger .mkv files for consumption on my TV.

Hopefully we'll get a VLC-like app soon and all this will be behind us.

Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    Well this is just odd the ones I converted for my surface actually do work on the Lumia as well must be something about the files I tried today.

Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Something to think about:

I do not have a 920, but i have an 8x - and my friend here at work has a 920. We both have large media libraries. This of course wont work for local media on the device. But we have been using Plex for quite some time and its glorious. Transcodes 1080p MKV on the fly. Your server of course has to be on and running at all times at the house. Bust most peoples Desktop PCs do that anyway. I can see where it would be a problem for someone that didnt have unlimited data or wifi access. Just a thought.

Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    I am a local media kind of guy and don't want to deal stop start buffering plus I would blow through my data far too quickly.

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    The link above will probably work very well. I use something similar from Aimersoft: Video Converter - Convert Video in Windows (Windows 8) | Aimersoft

All this product spam... use Handbrake.fr for free. Best video conversion tool out there.

Yxplayer: Yxplayer WP8 | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (Canada)
    Plays MKV and almost every audio and video format under the moon. It cost $4.49 with no free trial.

I've made a short review of it here since nobody has ever heard of it for some strange reason.
    use moliplayer pro on windows phone. The best player yet you can get wp store. It supports almost all the formats

MoliPlayer Pro | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Another vote for Plex here. Works well over 3G as well when you're out of the house.