Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

just got my lumia 920 a week age and i realy like it, but a lot of Dust under the front camera, What am I supposed to do?
    Will at&t replace it for a new phone? i do not want to get a refurbished phone after just a week i paid full price
    does any one else has this problem?
    Last edited by izik770; 12-04-2012 at 10:10 AM.

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    another member here has the same issue as you. it doesn't distort the picture quality does it? i can't imagine it affecting the picture quality but i understand your frustration. such a beautiful device and you just got it.

simple solution, return it (14 days no questions asked) and get a new one.

yeah i just started getting it.. Not really bothered by it.. I've read around a high pressure can/spray will help!
    i think the problem is, the dust comes in from the little speaker next to it!

thanks guys I'm probably going to exchange for a new one

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    Good god... it's a little dust! If it were to affect the quality of the pictures, sure. But, I have dust under my screen near the lens, and the pictures are surely not affected in the least. I think sometimes, people can be too nit picky. It is GOING TO HAPPEN, it's a fact. There isn't anything you can do, short of leaving in a air tight container at all times, that will prevent microns of dust from collecting inside the device.
    Cingular (2001-2003) - Nokia 5190 > Nokia 3360
    Nextel (2003-2007) - i1000+ > i90c > i720 > i830 > i275 > i860 > i870
    AT&T (2007 to Present) - Treo 680 > iPhone 8GB > iPhone 3G 16GB > Moto Q9h Global >
    iPhone 3G 16GB > iPhone 3GS 16GB > HTC Inspire 4G > Samsung Focus > HTC HD7S >
    Nokia Lumia 900 > Nokia Lumia 920 > Nokia Lumia 1520

Quote Originally Posted by Loiselle View Post
    Good god... it's a little dust! If it were to affect the quality of the pictures, sure. But, I have dust under my screen near the lens, and the pictures are surely not affected in the least. I think sometimes, people can be too nit picky. It is GOING TO HAPPEN, it's a fact. There isn't anything you can do, short of leaving in a air tight container at all times, that will prevent microns of dust from collecting inside the device.
    Thats actually not true. It SHOULD be air tight with no dust. If there is dust after just two weeks or so, what will it be like after a year. People SHOULD care about little imperfections AND call them out.

My original iPhone 4 or the 4S don't have one piece of dust in the front lens. My 920 has a TON and is getting returned. It amazes me how little people care about build quality.

front-camera-dust.jpg

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shap2012 View Post
    Thats actually not true. It SHOULD be air tight with no dust. If there is dust after just two weeks or so, what will it be like after a year. People SHOULD care about little imperfections AND call them out.

My original iPhone 4 or the 4S don't have one piece of dust in the front lens. My 920 has a TON and is getting returned. It amazes me how little people care about build quality.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front camera dust.JPG 
Views:	159 
Size:	479.5 KB 
ID:	23808
    that right thur, is not acceptable. maybe after 1 yr of rough use but a brand new phone??? no.

return that sucker.

Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    Guys I returned my first one, now i'm on my SECOND one and it has Dust in the FFC as well.

And now they are telling me i'm outside of my 14 days... that's kind of stupid.. it should start the 14 days on the new model they gave me... and now i'm stuck?

cam00229.jpg
    You can add mine to the list. ATT says this is user damage and warranty is voided. I loathe them.

Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samuch View Post

Name:	CAM00229.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	940.4 KB 
ID:	23812
    You can add mine to the list. ATT says this is user damage and warranty is voided. I loathe them.
    Oh gosh, that's a lot of dust. Try contacting Nokia, they might be able to do something about it.

yeah this is my second 920, and there is still dust getting under it. i say **** it, i dont use the ffc much, its just annoying to look at. get a can of air doe, that will work!

(Cyan AT&T 920)

I was JUST able to use a can of compressed air to clean mine! I should have taken pics... I had quite a few specks of dust around the lens of my FFC so as per Zokstar's recommendation, I took a can of air and sprayed right above the camera itself (not in the speaker hole). I didn't think it'd do much, but after a couple of sprays, there is NO dust at all now! (I probably sprayed it to other parts inside the phone, but meh)

It doesn't seem like there's much of a space right above the camera, but it seems the dust gets in between the polycarbonate body and the edge of the glass right above the camera. That's where I sprayed and that worked for me... your mileage may vary, but it's worth a try! Good luck!

EDIT: Just took a couple of pics with my Sprint HTC Arrive to try and show the lens is clean and the lack of a noticeable gap above the lens. My Lumia doesn't have any issues that others have (creaking in the top of the case, etc.). Sorry for the blur, but it seems the Arrive's camera can't focus well up close.. I was holding the phone as steady as I could.

Pic 1 - http://sdrv.ms/11g8S4n

Pic 2 - http://sdrv.ms/11g9mY1
    Last edited by iknowsingh; 11-28-2012 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Added pictures!

I've had mine for 8 days now and there are two dust particles under my FF camera also. As I won't be using the FF camera a whole lot, I'm much more concerned about dust interfering with the proximity sensor next to it over time as more dust inevitably accumulates. Outside of this, I haven't had a single problem with my Red 920. I keep going back and forth over whether to exchange it.

Do you guys think this is a problem among all 920's, i.e. even worth exchanging?

Quote Originally Posted by samuch View Post

Name:	CAM00229.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	940.4 KB 
ID:	23812
    That is really sad on ATT part. Try Nokia, this should not be happening. I dont know how, but I was able to get ATT to send me a new 920 with ease, after my 14 day. They said just send back the old one. For some reason the lady thought it was a 30 day return policy.

Global Posts
    1,222 Global Posts
    img_0385.jpg

I have had 3 with dust under the ff camera, this was the worst ........ after 3 days :/

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    so after about two weeks.. i found dust under my front camera :( what the ****.. im replacement device was supposed to ship a week ago but no word (dead pixel).. oh man i went through so much to get this yellow lumia 920.. this is my last try

Global Posts
    668 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by izik770 View Post
    just go my lumia 920 a week age and i realy like it, but a lot of Dust under the front camera, What am I supposed to do?
    Will at&t replace it for a new phone? i do not want to get a refurbished phone after just a week i paid full price
    does any one else has this problem?
    Just take it back, get your refund and buy a different phone. It seems many are experiencing the dust under the FFC so to get better build quality buy something different.

Global Posts
    585 Global Posts
    Have the same issue, but it doesn't bother me since I don't really use FFC..at all. It shouldn't happen, but personally I don't see it warranting a replacement.

Worth considering also, is that if dust is getting into the phone, then it's possibly a contributory factor in causing overheating of the phones internal electronic components. .

Dust in electronic devices is the main eventual cause of failure of those items due to the excessive heat that is created.

Have 4 tiny specs on my camera...smh...The whole bezel should have been glued better along with the ear piece..Nokia doesn't want to do anything. It's terrible...im returning mine and hoping to get one with less of a gap around the glass..

So i got a whole mess of dust like the guy above so I called AT&T. They agreed it was a defect and will be trading it up. They asked what color I wanted, so now I can change from my matte black to matte cyan :). They said it will probably be refurbished, but i'm hoping that since its so new and rare, i may get a new one

I'm getting it too. Typically dust doesn't impact larger cameras that much but I'm not sure about this form factor.

Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    I am still trying to see this. I look at my phone and the front lens is so tiny; I honestly see nothing. Maybe that's because I have a phone with no issues? I dropped my 920 on a corner and actually dented the shell and it's still like a rock. I'll look again and test the front camera but it really seems to be a build issue.

I am pretty sure everyone is getting this same problem. Have people even noticed a difference when they got a newer phone? I really dont want to get a new one. I hope using a dust spray will do the trick for mine. It hasnt messed up the quality yet, I dont use the front camera a lot but it still doesnt look good. Especially if you were to show off your phone to someone.

Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Actually that is pretty much my point, I do not have this problem. So is it an isolated build issue?
    XBX4LFE likes this.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast