Bad new design for screen & body assembly vs previous Lumias

rexii23

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I went into the shops (allphones) today and found a yellow L920. Had a try at getting my nails into the outside gap (between screen & body) but it was very solid and I couldn't do it. However, for this unit, I could get my nails into the inside gap (the gap that's part of the screen assembly). I think this one is better in comparison since at least the body is solid. I then went next door to telstra shop (different one to the previous shops I've visited) and they again had a white demo, this one had a horrible gap that I didn't even have to use my nails to get to. I just put slight pressure on the body away from the screen and the gap appear! Very annoying.

hcoreyh

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I have a gap but not one large enough for fingernails. Dust is still a massive issue in addition to a gap between the ceramic rear camera mounting and polycarbonate. My phone though is entirely solid with no flex whatsoever (black). I would suspect the flex is a manufacturing defect. Possibly a bad batch of polycarbonate.

rexii23

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I have a gap but not one large enough for fingernails. Dust is still a massive issue in addition to a gap between the ceramic rear camera mounting and polycarbonate. My phone though is entirely solid with no flex whatsoever (black). I would suspect the flex is a manufacturing defect. Possibly a bad batch of polycarbonate.

Is dirt and dust gathering in this gap? Do you have a photo of the gap between the ceramic rear camera mounting and the polycarbonate? I don't recall seeing this one before? It very well could be a bad batch of polycarbonate. Do you have a batch number also?

rexii23

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
The L920 Screen disassembly guide just got posted on youtube here:

Nokia Lumia 920 Digitizer Glass & LCD (TFT) Display Replacement - YouTube

It clearly shows the extra bezel which is part of the screen.The digitizer is glued onto this screen. This also explains why there is often dust under the FFC since there is just a tiny area for the glue/sealant on the digitizer. So this video shows the inner gap is the gap between digitizer and screen and the outer gap is the gap between the entire screen assembly with the polycarbonate body. This is just a bad design compared to the old N9/L800 design shown here:

Lumia 800/900/N9 Glass Screen Only - YouTube

You can see that the digitizer covers the entire screen hence there is no extra bezel/gap! Darn this is annoying!

Anirudh Sarma

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
White Lumia 920, no battery drain, no dust under front camera, no random reboots, no gaps anywhere between body and screen. A solid phone. works and looks like a baws

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
no gaps anywhere between body and screen.

Really? No gap at all between the case and the bezel around the screen?

I got my replacement and whilst it is very solid and has no creaking it still has a rather large gap between the case and bezel around the display. Larger than my original one. It is as if the screen isn't sitting inside the case properly, like it is raised up. Has me worried that the case could become loose again. There's dirt and gunk gathering in there already.

Here's what my replacement one looks like, taken by my original 920. Zoom in and hopefully you can make it out.
lumia screen gap.jpg

Last edited:

rexii23

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
thanks for the pic devize

I've sent off email to nokia with my photos and hopefully they will send me replacement phone. I've got gap between bezel & screen on left, top and right. also got 2 bulge/flexing spots. side view of phone also shows the raised screen like your photo. :(

what are you going to do? Since the old one creaks and this new one is not much better.

top view
1a-overview.jpg

side view
2-sideview.jpg

close up
3b-buldge close up.jpg

bulge next to camera button, before pressing body into screen
4a-buldge before press.jpg

after
4b-buldge after press.jpg

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I totally agree they should have went with the earlier designs. I'm waiting for a disassembly video to see exactly where the design of the 920 differ from the 800 & N9. looking at the video for L900 (which also has the extra bezel/gusket) there is a slight change in how the screen is attached to the body.

It also seems like the polycarbonate case is softer/more flexible than the N9. A number of people are reporting flexing in the case. I wonder if its a color related issue too, the 2 white ones both had this issue. I will try and check other demo units tomorrow (if they have it in stock).

Ya, this is my problem with the 920 as well. I have a Lumia 800 and that thing is solid and gorgeous. No extra bezel around the screen. It flows right into the case. Also, the case is really solid with no flex. My 920 on the other hand has flex, and my previous 920 got the dust in the FFC as well. Also, where is the AMOLED true black screen? WP looks sooo much better on the 800 with the true black.

To me, this is very disappointing and one of the reasons I'm not nearly as happy with my 920 as I thought I would be.

I was planning on selling my 800 to recoup the money. But now I want to keep it as it is still my all time favorite phone I've ever had.

In general, I'm disappointed with Nokia in this phone. Its missing the design polish the Lumia 800/N9 had. Oh well...

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
why did telstra use White as their demo model?????.ahah.. :unhappy:
It looks rather nice, good choice in my opinion. Not as divisive as yellow or similar, while not as bland as black.

Also, where is the AMOLED true black screen?
It's hiding away with its good buddy PenTile, planning its next move on crappifying our screen experiences. The PenTile screen on the Lumia 800 is rather nasty, having one myself, and that's a concession you'd have to make if you wanted deep AMOLED blacks. No offence, but half your issues with the 920 could have been identified by just checking out the specifications of the phone, or a little hands on time.

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
thanks for the pic devize
what are you going to do? Since the old one creaks and this new one is not much better.

I have no major creaks with this one yet. They're there but nowhere near as bad as the old one but still in the same spot. They got pretty bad after about a week on the old one though so we'll see. It seems some people have that gap and others don't. The ones I've seen on display have. I'll probably pop around to a couple Telstra stores tomorrow and have a look. Pretty happy otherwise with the replacement so far though.

ryanj04

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue with mine! On the left hand side of the phone there is a small crease along the entire edge of the phone and it gets clogged with dirt and debris. I have to slide a piece of paper in it to clean it out. :eck:

StevesBalls

Banned
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
It's hiding away with its good buddy PenTile, planning its next move on crappifying our screen experiences. The PenTile screen on the Lumia 800 is rather nasty, having one myself, and that's a concession you'd have to make if you wanted deep AMOLED blacks.

The Super AMOLED Plus screens (like the one used in the Lumia 900) don't use the PenTile pixel matrix and along with the HD screens (Galaxy S 3) are rather nice to look at. Definitely can't beat the black levels - and those do tend to complement really great with WP.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
It looks rather nice, good choice in my opinion. Not as divisive as yellow or similar, while not as bland as black.

It's hiding away with its good buddy PenTile, planning its next move on crappifying our screen experiences. The PenTile screen on the Lumia 800 is rather nasty, having one myself, and that's a concession you'd have to make if you wanted deep AMOLED blacks. No offence, but half your issues with the 920 could have been identified by just checking out the specifications of the phone, or a little hands on time.

What do you mean?

I knew it didn't have that screen type when I bought it. I knew what I was buying. I'm just stating that having come from my L800 there are some overall "finish" level attributes I miss.

And that is why I'm keeping my 800 as well as my 920. I know it seems silly, but that extra bezel really takes away from the fit/finish quality of the phone design. As a designer, little details like this bother me. As a result I love my 920, but I don't LOVE it.

So IMO Nokia CAN do better because they HAVE done better.

anon(4745364)

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Unit 1 - Top left clicking, dust under FFC, dust collecting between glass and bezels, plus multiple restarts in a day. Also noticed that the screen was clearly separated from the body around its edges when compared to the my replacement.

Unit 2 - Dust under FFC, dust collecting between glass and bezel, light scratches on the magical "indestructible" screen.

It looks great but I can't say this is a well built product. Also, did they REALLY have to make it so thick and heavy?

rexii23

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
An update on my issue. The phone has now developed some slight creaking on the left hand side when slight pressure is applied. This was definitely not present when it was brand new. Nokia said they will reply after 3 Jan. Fingers crossed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3