- 12-24-2012, 03:50 PM #1
i'm about to buy the lumia 920 and i have been reading a lot here at wp central and i have a couple of questions :
1. from what i can understand - when you get a massage in normal sms or whatsapp or email for that matter , the phone will not alert you ? it will not make a sound at all ?? and the only way to know is to press the power button and check for new unread on the lock screen?
2. because people keep complaining about the phone not having a notification center but all the videos i see when you press the power button the lock screen it self displays all unread massages emails and other .. so what is the need for another kind of notification method ?
3. i keep seeing lumia 920 low light video test that show the phone with no flash taking a shot at a pitch black room and the picture comes out as if it was taken at daytime , is that really true or some king of nokia campaign ?
thanks in advance for anyone who answers my questions , this is my first wp phone so dont kill the noob :) .
- 12-24-2012, 03:59 PM #2
1. Yes, the phone will ring or vibrate, depending on your setting. There may have been an issue with a phone here and there, but yes the phone is designed to alert you.
2. Many people want an Android-like notification center. I've never used Android, so I don't have any comparison. There are some apps that provide a "toast" notification. It pops up for a few seconds and then disappears. If you don't look at your phone fast enough, the notification disappears.
3. From what I've seen, yes those are real photos. Nokia wouldn't fake a photo to gain sales. They would be run through the ringer if they, or anybody did.
12-24-2012, 04:05 PM #3
- 9 Posts
For messages your phone will alert you when you get a message. It will vibrate, make a sound, or both depending on your settings. But there is no notification light, so if you've left your phone in a different room you have to check the lock screen for any messages.
- 12-24-2012, 04:26 PM #4
1. Not sure, but I bet you get notified.
2. Notification Center like iOS or Android would be nice for the Toast Notifications that you can't look at fast enough. For example, CNN sends a breaking news alert to your phone. You have 2 seconds from the alert sound to see what it was. If you miss it, it's gone. There is no way to see what it was, or what the sound was for. I turn my Toast Notifications off because it makes me mad when I can't see what it was in time.
3. No. This is not true. The phone needs some lighting to get a picture. If you are taking a picture in a pitch black room with no flash, you will more than likely get a pitch black photo.
12-24-2012, 04:35 PM #5
- 1,045 Posts
1. It will make a sound. normal SMS will have sms notification sound, and 3rd party apps like whatsapp or wechat, etc. will have notification sounds as well, unless you turned them off. the lock screen will show missed SMS, calls, emails, and then you get to choose 2 more 3rd party apps to show. For example, Facebook and whatsapp. And you can also pin the apps you want to check on your homescreen and the tile will show you notifications with numbers indicating missed messages as well
2. Don't listen to those people would be my solution. For me the notification system is already much better, there could be improvements but I think ppl saying that there's no notification "center" are from Android, which I hope if they love WP enough they will get used to WP notifications eventually.
3. Video I'm not sure, but picture yes the PureView technology allow you to take amazing bright pictures even when it's pretty much pitch dark. (why would you take a picture when it's complete darkness?!)
Just gotta hold on to your phone VERY steadily and make sure night-shot mode is on. I LOVE my L920 camera. Not even just night shots, check these out Fantastic French winter shots captured with the Nokia Lumia 920 | PureView Club
- 12-24-2012, 04:38 PM #6
Thank you all very much , follow up - if your in a game or an app will whatsapp or massages make a sound or some kind of alert? And about the video's i guess i will have to wait and see :) , another question is why do a lot of people hate on the facebook app? Whats wrong with it?
- 12-24-2012, 06:51 PM #8
3. The low light photos are amazing with the Lumia 920. I have taken a bunch of photos at restaurants/bars with very very low light and they come out great. The phone has a "flash focus assist" option where it briefly uses the flash to focus before taking the picture. I set my phone to no flash, in which case the flash comes on to focus and then turns off when taking the actual picture.
- By dubtech in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 1Last Post: 12-01-2012, 02:19 PM
- By Bifurcated in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 6Last Post: 04-03-2012, 07:09 AM
- By SteelSteve in forum Windows Phone GamesReplies: 6Last Post: 01-31-2012, 01:04 PM
- By stead04 in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 1Last Post: 01-27-2011, 01:09 PM