Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 22 of 22
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Dave Blake
  • 1 Post By wayneholbrook
  • 1 Post By ttsoldier
  1. wayneholbrook's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
       #1  
    Just wondering if amyone knows if the Lumia has a do not distrub or profiles?

    Example: You worked all night and now you want to sleep so you silence the phone but you can have a few exceptions if certain people call you it will ring through, if not all the rst of the callers go to voicemail.

    Blackberry had this for years, now the iphone got it last year but its a watered down version of what blackberry had. Anyone know of this?
    Last edited by wayneholbrook; 12-30-2012 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Spelling
  2. Dave Blake's Avatar
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

    Posts
    5,662 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    #2  
    Windows Phone does not do this.
  3. tebugg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    363 Posts
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    #3  
    why would a phone reinvented around you, not want to disturb you? just kidding.
  4. wayneholbrook's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
       #4  
    Well I bought the 920 a few days ago as my secondary phone to see if I would like it. My main phone is a iPhone 5. I got pretty bored with the OS so I wanted dot try windows which I still think is way better than Andriod. After a few days I think I might be returning the phone. Wasn't an easy decision but at the end of the day with the OS not having a do not disturb / profile, no rotation lock, no toggling between vibrate, ringers and so on, it's just to many things that I use on a daily basis that I would need. I don't use more than a few apps so the market place is fine for me. Also I still think Skype is not as clear as FaceTime from my experiences over wifi and LTE.

    These are just my thoughts. I am still debating it because I do like the OS, it looks very good and feels very good but I don't think it has come far enough. I wish this wasn't the case because again its a nice looking OS.
  5. awesomeindeed's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    111 Posts
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    #5  
    You can toggle between ring and vibrate, just FYI. Just turn the screen on, hit a volume button and you can press on the icon in the upper right-hand corner to select a ring profile.
  6. Dave Blake's Avatar
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

    Posts
    5,662 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by wayneholbrook View Post
    Well I bought the 920 a few days ago as my secondary phone to see if I would like it. My main phone is a iPhone 5. I got pretty bored with the OS so I wanted dot try windows which I still think is way better than Andriod. After a few days I think I might be returning the phone. Wasn't an easy decision but at the end of the day with the OS not having a do not disturb / profile, no rotation lock, no toggling between vibrate, ringers and so on, it's just to many things that I use on a daily basis that I would need. I don't use more than a few apps so the market place is fine for me. Also I still think Skype is not as clear as FaceTime from my experiences over wifi and LTE.

    These are just my thoughts. I am still debating it because I do like the OS, it looks very good and feels very good but I don't think it has come far enough. I wish this wasn't the case because again its a nice looking OS.
    Let me ask you this have you really given the OS a chance? Put your sim in the phone and just used it as a daily driver for a week? Do you feel like you really know what WP can do? Take a look through these threads.


    http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...l-succeed.html
    WP8 Newbie Tips

    See if there is anything you have missed. In the end if iPhone is what you want well we have a Nation for that. I would rather see you stay here.
    Superboy Micah likes this.
  7. JMBasquiat's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    191 Posts
    #7  
    Actually, iOS got the Do Not Disturb feature this year, with iOS 6.
  8. wayneholbrook's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blake View Post
    Let me ask you this have you really given the OS a chance? Put your sim in the phone and just used it as a daily driver for a week? Do you feel like you really know what WP can do? Take a look through these threads.


    http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...l-succeed.html
    WP8 Newbie Tips

    See if there is anything you have missed. In the end if iPhone is what you want well we have a Nation for that. I would rather see you stay here.

    I didn't realize the iPhone 5 had the same size sim as the Lumia. I reviewed the link you posted and I wouldn't mind trying what you suggested
  9. Dave Blake's Avatar
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

    Posts
    5,662 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by wayneholbrook View Post
    I didn't realize the iPhone 5 had the same size sim as the Lumia. I reviewed the link you posted and I wouldn't mind trying what you suggested
    Sorry about that some people cant control their silliness.

    iPhone 5 maybe not my 4S was the same card but I think they changed sim with the 5. I could be wrong. If you stop at the ATT store they can get everything set up I do this a lot it has always been free.
  10. wayneholbrook's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
       #10  
    I will indeed give that a shot. Thank you for your guidance
    Dave Blake likes this.
  11. ttsoldier's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,238 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,911 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by wayneholbrook View Post
    I didn't realize the iPhone 5 had the same size sim as the Lumia. I reviewed the link you posted and I wouldn't mind trying what you suggested
    It doesn't. Lumia uses micro. Iphone 5 uses nano.
    Dave Blake likes this.
  12. Griffinx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    305 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomeindeed View Post
    You can toggle between ring and vibrate, just FYI. Just turn the screen on, hit a volume button and you can press on the icon in the upper right-hand corner to select a ring profile.
    FYI if you turn off vibrate in settings then the icon toggles between ring and silent
  13. uktivo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    121 Posts
    Global Posts
    503 Global Posts
    #13  
    I know how the op feels. I too miss the profiles you can set up. Lets hope there will be an app for it sometime.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
  14. fmcgirt's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by uktivo View Post
    I know how the op feels. I too miss the profiles you can set up. Lets hope there will be an app for it sometime.
    I totally agree but it may not happen since it took Apple until IOS6 to get a simple profile function implemented. I often wonder if these phone designers use their products or go to meetings or sleep. Or maybe they never enjoyed the convenience of a Blackberry with profiles. I once asked an Apple Tech Support guy if the profile idea had ever been mentioned in their feedback back to Apple and he said, "Why would you want that?" He had no clue what I was talking about. Oh well.....
  15. Noregrebt's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
    #15  
    This is the feature I miss most from Android. I was using Llama so I could have my sound profile change automatically based on time of day or keywords in my calendar. Hopefully we get something for this sooner than later. Still enjoying the phone more than Android, just miss this one thing.
  16. #16  
    If we look closely, Nokia is porting its features from Symbian to its lumias as exclusive apps, so maybe in future we could see an app like the one in Symbian called Nokia locations in lumia.

    Meanwhile do chk my app ideas for WP which i posted in Nokia your wish is my app contest. Vote them, there are chances that they may come TRUE. I also posted a similar app called KICK-START, do chk that and vote them. Here are the details- HTTP://mobihalo.wordpress.com
    Few days ago, i tried Nokia Lumia 920 and 820 and wrote my full experience on my blog, do take a look.
    About L820- Part 1
    About L920- Part 2
    About Windows Phone 8- Part 3 <----MUST READ
    please enrich my blog with your valuable comments,,,,,,,,,,
    My FB page- http://Facebook.com/NextLumia
  17. uktivo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    121 Posts
    Global Posts
    503 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Noregrebt View Post
    This is the feature I miss most from Android. I was using Llama so I could have my sound profile change automatically based on time of day or keywords in my calendar. Hopefully we get something for this sooner than later. Still enjoying the phone more than Android, just miss this one thing.
    Llama is an excellent app.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
  18. Dave Blake's Avatar
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

    Posts
    5,662 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
    yet ironically Windows Mobile did. And Symbian that Nokia came from did via Situations
    Sure and 3 to 5 times a week it would malfunction not go off at all.

    What does any of this have to do with the OP question? Nothing! If you attempt to derail this thread I will delete your posts. Address the OP question. Then take your thread crapping somewhere else.
  19. uktivo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    121 Posts
    Global Posts
    503 Global Posts
    #19  
    Op to answer your question. No it doesn't.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
  20. RSB54's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    29 Posts
    #20  
    isn't FaceTime an Apple only app? If so its not really an alternative to Skype, at least not everyone I know is i-Only.
  21. Ray Adams's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    938 Posts
    Global Posts
    944 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quiet Hours
    Quiet Hours | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    Not fully like do not disturb, but at least something!
    Lumia 1520
  22. ithinkurdumb's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    19 Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Adams View Post
    Quiet Hours
    Quiet Hours | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    Not fully like do not disturb, but at least something!
    Seems pretty neat. I wonder how is it possible since the Windows Phone SDK doesn't expose system volume settings.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-27-2012, 03:02 AM
  2. Does the Lumia 920 have built-in HDR?
    By JSern in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-02-2012, 04:08 AM
  3. Does the Lumia 920 have a Personal Hotspot?
    By erikejf in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-09-2012, 03:19 AM
  4. Does the Lumia 920 have an onscreen SW click picture button?
    By saintforlife in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-20-2012, 08:01 AM
  5. Does the Radar have a micro SD card slot?
    By WindowsFan2009 in forum HTC Radar
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-03-2011, 09:18 PM

Posting Permissions