Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JussiRM

I was able to download several apps easily, but when I wanted to download a few sound ones "Relaxing melodies" "Sleep Sounds"....I get waiting for wifi....

Anyone know what this is?

Global Posts
    1,063 Global Posts
    If an app is bigger than 20 MB you can only download it from the store using a WiFi connection. This is a limitation imposed by Microsoft.
    Banned

Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    What worzel said. If you could install 100mb apps on cellular, your data would be gone in minutes.

That's kind of crappy. I had that app on my old HTC inspire. So even the WiFi at home won't cut it?

Global Posts
    2,906 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fieldsy1024 View Post
    That's kind of crappy. I had that app on my old HTC inspire. So even the WiFi at home won't cut it?
    You NEED the wifi to download the large apps. Yes. It will cut it.

I was at home and had WIFI running and it was still "pending". I was at home for 10-12 hrs.
    Banned

Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I wouldn't call the requirement for Wi-Fi a limitation of the OS but rather a feature. It's good that someone has stepped in and said files 20 MB or more should be downloaded over Wi-Fi in order to decrease the burden on the cellular network as well as keep your data plan from being dried up more quickly. I have a family of three on a plan with AT&T using the Family Share bundle - we don't even come close to using our entire plan allotment (15 GB) but I figure that one day I might go rouge and start downloading things at a pretty quick rate. Streaming music does that, too.

The only thing I wish was kept was the ability to plug your phone into your PC via USB and use your hardline internet connection to download larger files without the need to latch onto Wi-Fi. If I could go through Xbox Music or a Windows Phone store app on my PC and select the 8-10 applications I want to download and have it get done in a batch process that would be awesome.

Global Posts
    1,229 Global Posts
    Read this

When will the 20MB downloading cap is removed from marketplace

Some have a 20mb while others have 50mb limit over cellular...
    TMobile Nokia Lumia 521 (GDR3/Black) - Prepaid Unlimited + 3gb Hotspot
    AT&T Nokia Lumia 520 - Net10 AT&T
    Retired Focus Flash (wp7.8 = 7.10.8862.14)
    Net10/Straight Talk AT&T Apn Data for Samsung Wireless Manager
    WPCentralApp Beta Tester

Quote Originally Posted by wamsille View Post
    I wouldn't call the requirement for Wi-Fi a limitation of the OS but rather a feature. It's good that someone has stepped in and said files 20 MB or more should be downloaded over Wi-Fi in order to decrease the burden on the cellular network as well as keep your data plan from being dried up more quickly. I have a family of three on a plan with AT&T using the Family Share bundle - we don't even come close to using our entire plan allotment (15 GB) but I figure that one day I might go rouge and start downloading things at a pretty quick rate. Streaming music does that, too.

The only thing I wish was kept was the ability to plug your phone into your PC via USB and use your hardline internet connection to download larger files without the need to latch onto Wi-Fi. If I could go through Xbox Music or a Windows Phone store app on my PC and select the 8-10 applications I want to download and have it get done in a batch process that would be awesome.

But even at home with WIFI it says I cannot download because its over 20....

This is one "feature" I do not like. I don't have any "data plan" (edit: I mean I don't have any limit as to how much I can download) so I would like to download even large files sometimes. It's a good thing that it tells you that Wi-fi might be a good idea, but why can't I have an "Just proceed, please" option anywhere. And yes, carriers might not like it, but my oldie Android could download large apps through 3G.
    WorzelGummage likes this.

Is the reason why I cannot download large files at home (on wifi) because I don't have internet sharing checked to on?

Global Posts
    657 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fieldsy1024 View Post
    Is the reason why I cannot download large files at home (on wifi) because I don't have internet sharing checked to on?
    Sounds like a wifi problem to me. Like you are showing connected but not actually transferring data over wifi, but cellular. Have you tried turning cellular data off and confirmed that you are indeed able to connect and browse via that specific wifi network?

Global Posts
    1,063 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JussiRM View Post
    This is one "feature" I do not like. I don't have any "data plan" (edit: I mean I don't have any limit as to how much I can download) so I would like to download even large files sometimes. It's a good thing that it tells you that Wi-fi might be a good idea, but why can't I have an "Just proceed, please" option anywhere. And yes, carriers might not like it, but my oldie Android could download large apps through 3G.
    Agreed, I have a generous data plan and should be given the option to download over 3G if I want.
    Thanked by:

i also foun the same problem on my lumia 520
    so, i got an idea
    i went tothe store and simply downloaded uc browser for windows phone and i installed it
    then in uc i went to windows phone store then i clicked on an app which was more than 20 mb but the displayed page was a bit different from the previous
    when i scrolled down i saw an option download and install mannually
    when i clicked it my problem was completely cleares
    try this
    hppy dwnlodng!!!!!!!!
    sorry my english isnt so well!

i switched from Galaxy S4 today for Lumia 920.. i know it's not the latest and greatest but I really do like Windows Phone but the heck is this download limit!! I have LTE with unlimited data!!! that's how we are here in the Philippines.. we do have unlimited data but this limit totally blows it! I'm making regrets just now !@#!@#!@

Global Posts
    1,063 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eman.lacuata View Post
    i switched from Galaxy S4 today for Lumia 920.. i know it's not the latest and greatest but I really do like Windows Phone but the heck is this download limit!! I have LTE with unlimited data!!! that's how we are here in the Philippines.. we do have unlimited data but this limit totally blows it! I'm making regrets just now !@#!@#!@
    I agree. I've got a fast and unlimited HSDPA connection and it's annoying to be told to wait for WiFi when trying to download larger apps from the store.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Me too..!!!!
    I've paid US$40 at my local HSDPA provider with 12GB data/month, but all my phone used just about 1-2GB/month.
    Why do i wait for WiFi when I have so much unused bandwith.?

Yup this should not be a mandatory. Not liking it

Global Posts
    1,063 Global Posts
    In this day and age of unlimited data plans and LTE 4G there shouldn't be a mandatory limit imposed on the end users. A simple warning that states you are about to download a large file which may incur additional charges would suffice.

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Will there will be any solution to this drawback?

Global Posts
    1,051 Global Posts
    It would be nice to see Microsoft make the download limit a setting that the user can adjust for those who don't have a data limit.

As for the problem where the user's phone wasn't downloading even on WiFi, try power cycling your phone. My 920 did that one time, and resetting the phone fixed it.

What about people with unlimited data caps? Why restrict us? Cant there be an option to use cell network for those of us with unlimited data?