"Waiting for Wi-Fi" when downloading an app...

fieldsy1024

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I was able to download several apps easily, but when I wanted to download a few sound ones "Relaxing melodies" "Sleep Sounds"....I get waiting for wifi....

Anyone know what this is?

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't call the requirement for Wi-Fi a limitation of the OS but rather a feature. It's good that someone has stepped in and said files 20 MB or more should be downloaded over Wi-Fi in order to decrease the burden on the cellular network as well as keep your data plan from being dried up more quickly. I have a family of three on a plan with AT&T using the Family Share bundle - we don't even come close to using our entire plan allotment (15 GB) but I figure that one day I might go rouge and start downloading things at a pretty quick rate. Streaming music does that, too.

The only thing I wish was kept was the ability to plug your phone into your PC via USB and use your hardline internet connection to download larger files without the need to latch onto Wi-Fi. If I could go through Xbox Music or a Windows Phone store app on my PC and select the 8-10 applications I want to download and have it get done in a batch process that would be awesome.

fieldsy1024

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't call the requirement for Wi-Fi a limitation of the OS but rather a feature. It's good that someone has stepped in and said files 20 MB or more should be downloaded over Wi-Fi in order to decrease the burden on the cellular network as well as keep your data plan from being dried up more quickly. I have a family of three on a plan with AT&T using the Family Share bundle - we don't even come close to using our entire plan allotment (15 GB) but I figure that one day I might go rouge and start downloading things at a pretty quick rate. Streaming music does that, too.

The only thing I wish was kept was the ability to plug your phone into your PC via USB and use your hardline internet connection to download larger files without the need to latch onto Wi-Fi. If I could go through Xbox Music or a Windows Phone store app on my PC and select the 8-10 applications I want to download and have it get done in a batch process that would be awesome.

But even at home with WIFI it says I cannot download because its over 20....

JussiRM

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
This is one "feature" I do not like. I don't have any "data plan" (edit: I mean I don't have any limit as to how much I can download) so I would like to download even large files sometimes. It's a good thing that it tells you that Wi-fi might be a good idea, but why can't I have an "Just proceed, please" option anywhere. And yes, carriers might not like it, but my oldie Android could download large apps through 3G.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Is the reason why I cannot download large files at home (on wifi) because I don't have internet sharing checked to on?
Sounds like a wifi problem to me. Like you are showing connected but not actually transferring data over wifi, but cellular. Have you tried turning cellular data off and confirmed that you are indeed able to connect and browse via that specific wifi network?

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
This is one "feature" I do not like. I don't have any "data plan" (edit: I mean I don't have any limit as to how much I can download) so I would like to download even large files sometimes. It's a good thing that it tells you that Wi-fi might be a good idea, but why can't I have an "Just proceed, please" option anywhere. And yes, carriers might not like it, but my oldie Android could download large apps through 3G.

Agreed, I have a generous data plan and should be given the option to download over 3G if I want.

haricoyz

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
i also foun the same problem on my lumia 520
so, i got an idea
i went tothe store and simply downloaded uc browser for windows phone and i installed it
then in uc i went to windows phone store then i clicked on an app which was more than 20 mb but the displayed page was a bit different from the previous
when i scrolled down i saw an option download and install mannually
when i clicked it my problem was completely cleares
try this
hppy dwnlodng!!!!!!!!
sorry my english isnt so well!

eman.lacuata

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
i switched from Galaxy S4 today for Lumia 920.. i know it's not the latest and greatest but I really do like Windows Phone but the heck is this download limit!! I have LTE with unlimited data!!! that's how we are here in the Philippines.. we do have unlimited data but this limit totally blows it! I'm making regrets just now !@#!@#!@:eck:

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
i switched from Galaxy S4 today for Lumia 920.. i know it's not the latest and greatest but I really do like Windows Phone but the heck is this download limit!! I have LTE with unlimited data!!! that's how we are here in the Philippines.. we do have unlimited data but this limit totally blows it! I'm making regrets just now !@#!@#!@:eck:

I agree. I've got a fast and unlimited HSDPA connection and it's annoying to be told to wait for WiFi when trying to download larger apps from the store.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

dj_hetick

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Me too..!!!!
I've paid US$40 at my local HSDPA provider with 12GB data/month, but all my phone used just about 1-2GB/month.
Why do i wait for WiFi when I have so much unused bandwith.?

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
In this day and age of unlimited data plans and LTE 4G there shouldn't be a mandatory limit imposed on the end users. A simple warning that states you are about to download a large file which may incur additional charges would suffice.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3