NOKIA Running Android.... Straight from the horse's mouth

rubynokia

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Maybe, possibly in the future.... Well I for one think thats a good thing. I love Nokia and do not want them to fail, by diversifying their handsets to another OS it will put them in a position of strength. C'mon guys lets be honest, while windows phone is nice. It is extremely lacking compared to the other OS's. I for one welcome our android overlords.. Maybe Microsoft and Google will make peace through Nokias forbidden love affair..

SOURCE: http://www.valuewalk.com/2013/01/nokia-corporation-adr-nysenok-future-could-be-android/

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I thought this was a bad rumor that was misspelled in a story on the front page a few days back?

andjography

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I was once an Android user, but made a promise to myself that I will never go back to its OS until they offer me something more reliable. I think (though impossible atm, but hey...anything is possible!hehe) Nokia with iOS is more suitable. I love the 'simple but elegant' hardware of Nokia, and I also love how simple and user-friendly OS of iOS is, and putting 'em together would be a match-made-in-heaven.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Elop said "anything is possible" to a question about Android...but he also said that it's the future of mobile could be in HTML5 web apps, i.e. beyond specific platforms and into common cross-platform apps.

We don't know, but what we do know is that for the time being they're fully behind Windows Phone. Until then, we'll wait and see. As far as I can see, it seems to me that Samsung utterly dominates the Android market. So while a fair number of Android users might go for an Android Nokia, it is unclear to anyone if Nokia can make significant enough in-roads there.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
i dont see anything that elop said that would suggest an imminent move to android. he said anything is possible. tomorrow i could play the lottery and win. anything is possible, although it's a 1 in 100 million chance. but i'll bite. i think it would be good for nokia as a business to spread it's wings and expand their portfolio. doing anything that makes your company more money is what they should be doing regardless of what consumers think they should do. so as a technology fan, as long as nokia is doing what they have to do to succeed, and if that means makin an android device or two, i would be for it.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Would go with Samsung or even HTC (which I hate). If not, I'd have BB10 and iOS to fall back on as I do not enjoy Android at all. Too much crap going on.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Nokia should use WP as its primary OS. But in order to have variety its a good idea to use other OS. But I will prefer if they use Jolla's Meego instead of buggy android in order to have variety

SevenDead1ySinz

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Christ, this was nothing but a stupid rumour, and Nokia has already said they have NO intention on going android. The original article was updated (before this thread was created), this poll should be deleted.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely not.

First of all, this is a stupid rumor that arose from a very vague comment that Elop made and it doesn't even deserve a thread, certainly not one with the misleading title you picked. I seriously doubt Nokia will go to Android.

But since you opened the can of worms, I'll bite.

Nokia going to Android would be a huge mistake. I'll tell you why. First of all, Nokia actually benefits from being an exclusively Windows Phone operation. It allows them to focus all their resources in one direction. This is why Nokia's Windows Phones are better and more unique than anyone else's. This is why Nokia has lots of excellent in-house Windows Phone software and software exclusives while the others have nothing. Windows Phone also helps Nokia differentiate their brand, which is very important in such a crowded and competitive industry.

The truth is, the Android field is way too crowded. Plenty of makers are getting pushed aside and marginalized and making only tiny profits. This is because of the fierce competition. Both from Samsung who dominates Android totally, and from all the cheap, substandard Android devices that flood the market.

If Nokia went to Android, they might have a short rise in sales, but it would inevitably be a decline. Samsung would eat their lunch on the top end, and on the bottom end they would be outfoxed by all the cheap crap Android phones which aren't afraid to compromise quality to get the lowest price. It would be an unmitigated disaster for Nokia and I think they know this.

Furthermore, Android's inherent complexity and bugginess would cheapen the Nokia experience. It would not only not allow Nokia to differentiate they brand (other than maybe some horrid UI skin) but it would also prevent Nokia from being able to deliver a consistent, reliable and intuitive interface on their phones.

Even if Nokia continued to make Windows Phone AND made Android phones, that would be a problem. The reason Nokia makes the best Windows Phone experience is not only because they are a great company, but because they can focus on Windows Phone 100%. If they had to divide their resources to support/develop Android devices too, the quality of the Windows Phone innovation they do would necessarily suffer.

Nokia going to Android would be a colossal mistake that would signal the pending demise of the company. There are no guarantees with Windows Phone, but it is definitely Nokia's best chance. I believe Elop is smart enough to realize that and I hope I am right. I would hate to lose Nokia and have to choose between Samsung and HTC devices or an iPhone. Ugh...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely not.

First of all, this is a stupid rumor that arose from a very vague comment that Elop made and it doesn't even deserve a thread

Agree completely. Nokia just completed a very expensive phase of downsizing and restructuring. Tens of Thousands left the company... everyone working on projects unrelated to WP or Asha had to go. Developing Android devices would require Nokia to either refill many of those vacated positions, which Nokia can't afford as they are still in a financial pickle, or split the current team up to work on two different OS series... likely leaving both understaffed teams uncompetitive. Rediculously bad decision! If such a strategic shift were actually to occur at this time, ALL institutional investors would interpret this as a failing of their current strategy and a huge stock sell off would quickly get the company split up and sold in parts. Such a move is viable only after regaining very healthy financial footing! The rumor is stupid.

Last edited:

Andi_N

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Why Microsoft? Here's why.

While iOS looks like a sterile environment, much like what an intensive-care-unit room looks like to me, Android looks like my brother's bedroom, messy, cluttered, too unruly, yes you might find surprising stuff here and there but it is just so hard to navigate and it still is messy.

WP8 looks to me like an art gallery, like the Louvre if you'll allow it. You can just stand at once place and look at a painting and it is impossible to only be imprisoned into one perspective (much like the Live Tiles, it gives you more than one info even if you're just staring at it flipping away). It's alive, it's like breathing, it changes. You'll always be surprised in every turn. A GLORIOUS strikingly colored polycarbonate with zirconium and Gorilla glass 2 device is an art form.

You might be able to put a glorious sculpture or painting in an intensive-care-unit in a hospital but it just looks so wrong, like it's out if place, like "what the ***** is that monalisa painting doing in the operating room?". You could also put it in my brother's bedroom but the mess all around doesn't give the piece of art justice, like it isn't at peace in its environment.
But where you will most definitely never go wrong is putting a work of art in another work of art. Much like a very expensive painting inside the Louvre which is an architectural masterpiece itself.

That's why Nokia's only OS should be Windows Phone 8 and beyond.

Thus, with all that lengthy reply of mine, I whole-heartedly say SCREW Android.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Why not? Can't do worse than they did with Windows Phone 7 and 8. But then Nokia would be competing directly with Samsung. No one can beat Sammy at the Android game. I have yet to see anyone beat them at what they do with android.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism