Cannot Send or Receive MMS (T-Mobile)

Celtics29

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,

Please forgive me if the solution to this problem has already been posted elsewhere. I am desperate to figure this out. I purchased an unlocked nokia lumia 920 from GSM Nation. I signed up for prepaid service with t-mobile (unlimited talk, text, and data). I am able to send regular texts, and i can access the internet just fine, but i cannot send or receive picture messages or any MMS. Yesterday i did a google search and found the apn settings on the t-mobile website. I tried that, and i was able to send two pictures to another phone successfully, but on the third try it kept failing. I haven't been able to send any pictures since. I live in the United States, Chicago. If there is any other information you all need from me, please let me know, so that we can possibly work together to figure this out. Thanks in advance.

dknyov

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
The 3rd one you tried to send to the same person you sent 2 pics before ? if yes then you had problem with your settings, if you sent to different person, maybe because that person doesn't have Data pakage in their phone plan that why. Just my guess :)

beachhoppr

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem. Strangely the solution is to mms a picture to yourself. According to Tmo, that resets the settings. And even stranger, it does work.

Celtics29

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies! I actually did try sending the picture to my own number but that repeatedly failed. I couldn't even send a picture to myself once. It fails every single time. I downloaded the access point app and selected T-Mobile (Active) but i still cannot send or receive MMS. I'm feeling very hopeless. Could the phone itself somehow be the issue?

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
You might want to download the Access Point app if the settings the above poster left. I had problems as well when I got my 920, but after I installed that app, I sent myself a test MMS and it worked. Good luck!

Rillo911

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
omg man zion48871 your a genius i owe my life to you ive been trying to figure this out for a month, i actually knew I needed to add a mms apn but the dumb techs at t mobile had no clue, thanks so much, you have no idea what you just did for me. Dinner on me if you ever come to Louisville

orangesplease

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Access point worked for me for about a month... then I couldn't receive or send beginning a week ago. I tried a couple of the mms settings (including the one above) and they allow me to send, but not receive mms =[

tbonenga

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I think its a Tmo windows phone issues. I couldn't send a text to myself on a HD7, 8X or 920. I called Tmo support and the rep couldn't send himself a mms on his test phone.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Question for those of you who are having problems - do you have your data activated when you try sending or receiving MMS? I learned two years ago, when I got my iPhone 4 to use on T-Mobile that you can only do MMS with your data turned on. I normally have Wi-Fi on and data off and was having issues as well. Then, one day, I turned on my data and voile - I got MMS from a friend that she'd tried sending awhile before.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
My friend who was having trouble with MMS on his 920 (on Wind Mobile) eventually got it to work by deleting any APNs he had setup, running the access point app and then sending himself an MMS.

bloboblob

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone had the problem where you could send but not receive?
So far I've tried these:
soft reset - no good
hard reset - no good
access point - no good and took away my internet sharing
applying apn manually - allowed me to send but not receive.
sending mms to myself - no good

any help would be greatly appreciated.
thx!

jaysees

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
non of these steps are working for me. i have the lumia 925 on tmobile and i dont think this should happen at all. ive had two other wp and both had the same mms issue. i thought buying the lumia 925 being that its under tmobile it would work seamlessly but i was wrong. if anyone can further assist me into getting this to work that'll be great.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
non of these steps are working for me. i have the lumia 925 on tmobile and i dont think this should happen at all. ive had two other wp and both had the same mms issue. i thought buying the lumia 925 being that its under tmobile it would work seamlessly but i was wrong. if anyone can further assist me into getting this to work that'll be great.

Do you have your data turned on when trying to send or receive MMS? With T-Mobile, you have to have data turn on to do that.

xirsteon

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Just to add my 2 cent. My wife has the unlocked Roger (she has AP) installed as well as the MMS settings from this thread. It is a bit of a hit and miss with the MMS madness.

Today, I decided to change the apn for the MMS from epc.tmobile.com to fast.t-mobile.com and left everything else under the MMS as is. It started working again. It's a real shame that Nokia (with all their resources) & T-Mobile can't figure out something as simple as this. I have been considering getting the 920 unlocked from Negri but over the last few days, I have been thinking about the L925 despite its shortcomings but after seeing the post above that even a 925 from T-Mobile on T-Mobile network can't send MMS..i feel as though Nokia and T-Mobile dropped the ball big time.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Just to add my 2 cent. My wife has the unlocked Roger (she has AP) installed as well as the MMS settings from this thread. It is a bit of a hit and miss with the MMS madness.

Today, I decided to change the apn for the MMS from epc.tmobile.com to fast.t-mobile.com and left everything else under the MMS as is. It started working again. It's a real shame that Nokia (with all their resources) & T-Mobile can't figure out something as simple as this. I have been considering getting the 920 unlocked from Negri but over the last few days, I have been thinking about the L925 despite its shortcomings but after seeing the post above that even a 925 from T-Mobile on T-Mobile network can't send MMS..i feel as though Nokia and T-Mobile dropped the ball big time.

The only issues with the 925 and MMS falls on the Wi-Fi Calling feature. As long as data is turned on and the Wi-Fi Calling app is set to "Cellular preferred," you should be fine.

anon(5928073)

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Honestly. I think having the data on to send and receive mms messages is a bit dry. I mean I really do not want to have to go and turn it on and off every time. I had a mytouch 4g with T-Mobile and found that if I sent or received an mms the data would turn on to send it or receive one and then turn off. Simple as that. But I guess it was ahead of its time.

I am using a Rogers 920 and it is working well. Just thought I'd give my one cent.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3