L920 restarting occasionally

Daniel Szabadi

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks,

I've been using my phone for about 3months now... during this time it had restarted itself automatically 2 times.
One time I was watching a video (local video recorded by the phone itself), the other time during a phone call.

I've read that some ppl are having an issue that their phone is restarting, but for them it happens quite often, like daily or even more times a day but mine seems different.
I don't have any other issues with the phone: battery life ok, speed ok, I don't have a sh*tload of apps installed and only 2 apps doing background tasks (chronos calendar and weather flow), everything else ok.

I can't reproduce this issue and can't find the reason why it's happening.
Is this a 'common' a thing to happen?

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
In my experience with mobile phones (not just Lumia's but Symbian and Android) all have been known to restart once in a while and in each case it was because of a poor or non existent signal. This causes the phone to run at maximum power in order to establish a signal but ends up rebooting instead. This may very well be the case with your phone considering that it has only happened to you twice in the last three months.
Was your phone feeling particularly warm at the time of it restarting? If it was, then this would indicate that the phone was working hard at the time and may confirm my above explanation.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
From the fact that your phone only restarted twice, I can confirm that those are indeed isolated cases.

Aside from WorzelGummage's explanation, I have practically nothing to say, but heed my words:

In any piece of software, there are bugs. Some of those bugs may crash said piece of software. Windows Phone 8, being a relatively new OS, already has few bugs for its age. So, twice crashed in six months? Hah!

My old Symbian phone took two years before its restart rate fell to once a week. And, that was recent!

l cs

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Mine random reboot once and freeze once during texting. Uninstalled Skype (previous version) solved the issue.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
From the fact that your phone only restarted twice, I can confirm that those are indeed isolated cases.

Aside from WorzelGummage's explanation, I have practically nothing to say, but heed my words:

In any piece of software, there are bugs. Some of those bugs may crash said piece of software. Windows Phone 8, being a relatively new OS, already has few bugs for its age. So, twice crashed in six months? Hah!

My old Symbian phone took two years before its restart rate fell to once a week. And, that was recent!

Yes I fully agree and of course I forgot to mention that there may be bugs in the OS that can potentially cause a random reboot. There may also be a poorly coded application or two that can have the same effect.

Daniel Szabadi

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi, thx for the answers. I didn't feel my phone warmer than usual, though it could have been related to the signal strength. As I remember both cases happened at places where the signal is usually not the best... I barely can use edge not to mention 3g at these places... Btw as a web developer I'm fully aware that there are bugs in (almost) every software. This is totally fine, I can live with it. What I usually like to know is the source of the problem.. Even if it can't be helped, it's good to know why it's happening. Maybe it was just the bad combination of apps or running actions... :)

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
My 920 used to reboot when I now got it. Sometimes it would just blank off as well and had to soft reset to get it back on.

After updates to 1308 and 1314 firmware, this stopped and my phone has never rebooted on me.

Go to settings
Phone update
Check for updates.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Current Rogers 920 has rebooted 3 times this week, former att 920 rebooted far less frequently in comparison. There are reports of the 925 and 1020 rebooting. Seems like an issue with Nokia phones to me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgiHudi