Upgrade from 520???

trev81uk

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

My contract is up on my much loved 520 and I'm thinking of upgrading to a 920 (my tariff is low so there's not many free handsets I qualify for). My other options are 620 or 625 but these are very similar in spec to my 520.

Will I notice a big difference stepping up to the 920? Obviously the major differences are 1GB of ram, faster processor, better camera with flash. My only concern is that its actually an older handset than the 520. Not sure if no SD card support bothered me yet.

Just looking for some guidance please.

Thanks

VxOC

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I would recommend the 630 as it has a quad-core processor and 4.5 inch screen but In every other element it is 520 standard.

I looked at the 625 also but from forum posts here all I find is problems and queries and the lack of the clearback display kinda puts me off. The 920 however is still the beast it was when it initially came out, I love the chunky colorful design and with 8.1 it will only become speedier and more efficient which is a win! Little additions like a nice camera, durable build quality and wireless charging are also awesome!

trev81uk

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your help VxOC. I think something on the 630 that is quite notable from the 520 is the proximity and light sensors. I appreciate that they've probably taken them out to keep the cost down but to have those in the 520 but not the 630 doesn't seem to make much sense. Couldn't care I was quite excited for the 630.

I'm definitely warming towards the 920 and I can get it for a good price with my same network, I just wonder how old it'll feel in a years time.

VxOC

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your help VxOC. I think something on the 630 that is quite notable from the 520 is the proximity and light sensors. I appreciate that they've probably taken them out to keep the cost down but to have those in the 520 but not the 630 doesn't seem to make much sense. Couldn't care I was quite excited for the 630.

I'm definitely warming towards the 920 and I can get it for a good price with my same network, I just wonder how old it'll feel in a years time.

I think with the 920 what has got to be pointed out is specs wise (excluding camera) is very similar to the newer 1020. With this in mind as long as MS continue to support updates to the device which they probably will do you'll have a win and the phone won't age. There are still thousands of 920 owners who love there phones and former 920 owners who want to go back. The 920 appearance wise still looks so sexy and specs wise for a wp phone is still so hot.

Cyterio

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I made the jump from a 520/521 to the 925, which is essentially the same as the 920 internally, and I still love it. I don't think you would be disappointed at all making the jump.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I think the 920 is a winner. Have loved mine since I got it nearly 2 years ago and I still get 2 days charge out of it regularly. Brilliant phone.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I went from the 520 to the 920 and am very happy that I did. The 520 was a great phone (my daughter has it ,now, and loves it) but the 920 is just a great phone.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
With the handsets you've got to choose from, being the 620, 625 and 920, then I'd 100% go for the 920. I've got one and think it's a superb phone.

Just off the top of my head, features such as the screen size, screen quality, front facing camera, wireless charging (if you choose to use it), and the much better rear PureView camera, make it a great phone to upgrade to, even though some now regard it as getting on a bit in todays super fast mobile tech world ;)

My Dad has a 520, and I personally think it's a great phone for the price. I'm planning to give him my 920 when I'm done with it... the trouble is, that won't be for quite some time I don't think, because I still love it and haven't seen a good enough new WP to upgrade to that suits me.

With regard to the MicroSD expansion, unless you think you're going to fill the internal storage up, I wouldn't worry about it. It's never concerned me at all. The same goes with the non removable battery. Yes, I'd prefer a removable one, but realistically, you really don't need to get at it unless the battery is faulty, so again it's never bothered me since having the phone.

To sum it up, out of those choices, I've got nothing against the 620 and 625, but the 920 wins all day long.

trev81uk

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks all for the opinions, it's definitely made my mind up.
My hard choice now is probably what colour to go for!

On a plus note, the girlfriend is taking my 520, getting rid of her iPhone 4S, she's sick of charging the battery 3 or 4 times per day. So another recruit on to the Windows Phone team!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon