Looking for advice for ailing 920

Lord Chabelo

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
My 19 month old AT&T unlocked Lumia 920 is having the issue that it thinks its charging when its not even plugged in. I have looked a lot for a fix to this problem and it seems the only solution that MIGHT fix this problem is doing a factory reset. When my phone thinks its charging, it will actually not charge once I actually do plug it in. The only way I can get this error to clear is by doing a soft reset, lots of soft resets. So I am unable to charge my phone in a reliable fashion.

Doing the factory reset will lock my phone to AT&T again. I do not want to go through the process of unlocking my phone again. Getting my phone unlocked from AT&T was a pain and I lost the unlock code they gave me (my fault) and the paid unlocking services could not get my unlock code. I had to battle the evil empire known as AT&T to get the code so I could use the phone on T-Mobile. Getting my wife's 1020 unlocked was even more painful than the 920.

I can send the phone back to Nokia and they will charge me for the repair, but they will factory reset my phone or send me another locked phone. I can try to go to a local cell phone repair shop, but if I am dropping more than $100 for repairs I think I would rather put that towards a new phone. T-Mobile no longer carries the 925 and I cannot possibly use the 521 or 530 after having had the 920. So it looks like I have to go the carrier unsupported phone route again (same situation I am in now if something happens to the phone after it is out of warranty). I can get another unlocked 920 for around $250, a 1020 which I am very familiar with for under $400, or a 1520.3 for around $480. I had an HTC Radar 4G with T-Mobile and when I had serious battery issues while still under warranty they just sent me a refurbished phone and I had to send mine in. If I were to find, and buy, a new T-Mobile branded 925 and if I have issues with the phone I would have to send the phone to them and they would send me a "similar device" since the 925 has reached end of life.

I think the problem with my 920 is either a software issue, if the factory reset really does fix that issue, or the wireless charging pad in my phone is acting up (I have not found an answer to what would happen if I just remove that pad which I never use, will the phone keep on working or will it have more errors, etc) and/or the micro USB connector on my phone is messed up and needs replacing.

I could also just be sick of having to fight a loosing battle with Windows Phone (which I love but carries other than AT&T don't support much and I just get a Note 4 or iPhone 6+ from T-Mobile.

Any input or suggestions would be great.

cndspec

May 29, 2013
Visit site
If you reset an unlocked device it will remain unlocked after the reset so there should be nothing preventing you from going ahead and doing that to see if it fixes what might well be software issues. Use the Nokia software recovery tool and you should be good to go.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes