is 925 / WP8 mature enough?

liechmaster

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Hello 925 users,
I would like to get into WP8 wagon, and i am thinking about 925/720 (just those 2, don't like others).
But some things really worries me.

Some introduction and history (you can skip if not interested : ) )
Um till now i was using iphone 4 & sgs3 mini. (so both ios and adroid experience).
I was really pleased with ios, my phone during 3 years of usage, almost never gives me problems (only ONCE, internal speaker stops working, unit was replaced). yes during 3 years only one problem.
But after 3 years i was bored and wanted to try android (didn't like the iphone 5 snickers bar look).
I get sgs3 mini (tried sgs3 but was too big). and more or less i am happy (got some problems with battery, sometimes like once i 3 weeks i need to go airplane mode for a second). responsive is not as nice as ios and i am not happy with battery thing (at least i know what is happen, software issue).

Back to topic, my usage is low to average, mostly doing few calls, using occasionally internet and few apps. side effect of that usage is that my current android can last 3-4 days on battery and my iphone 4 battery life was comparable. I am not heavy social app user, so apps ecosystem is not that important, what is although is stability and UI experience.I really like wp8 ui (so i am even using some android launcher 8 on my current phone) but going back to main question:
Is 925 really mature?
i know that, on forum 95% of posts are connected to problem and problems solving, but i am little scared when i see that almost every one have problem with own 925. random reboot, random turn off.
Is there anyone with 925, who doesn't have that problems with his/her 925? and using it at least 2-3 weeks?. i don't want change my life because of phone (i.e. using another alarm because there is small chance my phone will not wake my up next morning because of auto turn off). Is this phone stable enough? Is os is stable enough? Please share your thoughts.

M.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I also think it's confirmation bias. Because you're looking at the 925, you are now noticing the 925 problems. I have an HTC 8X and it seems to me that the forums are full of problems related to that platform.

nemov888

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I also like the 720, but having used a 520 for 2 months, and now owned a 925 for a month...i think the 1gb ram and faster processor, and amoled screen are all worth paying extra for.

As for stability....my 925 did have a couple of very small glitches like occasional random reboot, but i got a software update the other day and now it is working fine. I would recommend wp8...its a very slick OS....and the 925 is lovely

ODuis

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Also no problem here since the last update.
People tend to post in forums when they have a problem, to ask for help. So all forums of all products are usually full of mostly problems.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
For what you do with a smartphone the 925 will likely work very well for you. You said you use few apps. Do some research before buying and make sure the apps you need are available.

Is 925 really mature?

Well, the answer depends on who you ask! :wink: It is generally accepted that WP8 is not as mature as iOS & Android, but it's coming. It's also much younger. But what's more important than the maturity level is whether or not you can do with it what you need to do. For most users it's just fine.

i know that, on forum 95% of posts are connected to problem and problems solving, but i am little scared when i see that almost every one have problem with own 925. random reboot, random turn off. Is there anyone with 925, who doesn't have that problems with his/her 925? and using it at least 2-3 weeks?

Forums are full of problems. It doesn't matter whether it's forums for WP, or Android, or iPhone, or BB, or Chrysler, or Walmart, or Lennox, or... We tend to complain when things don't work, but don't say much when it's going well. That's human nature. Also if we're having problems we need to let others know so we can get help. You should be able to try it for 14 days and return it if you don't like it.

tollonodre

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I switched from a BB Torch to a 925 a little over two weeks ago and I've been very satisfied with the switch. Never had a random issue with anything, reboot or otherwise. LTE is available in my area and it's wicked fast. WiFi calling works fine too.
The Good: Battery life is much improved from my old Torch. Although I have found that some apps use more battery than others, especially if the live tile is enabled. Get a good battery app and it'll warn you about high usage. You can then tweak/narrow it down to what is using what. My usage is similar to yours, although I also do a lot of social apps and web surfing on the commute in. Battery app tells me total life available at about 20-24 hrs with my usage, but using something like the Drive app can shave that in half. It's still much better than what I had and quite easy to live with. The OS is fun, fluid and highly functional. New apps all the time and now that the OS is solidly in number 3 it appears that more devs are taking notice. But really what makes it for me is the effort Nokia is putting into it. The hardware is awesome and I get a lot of comments on it, but just as awesome is the apps Nokia supplies. It really 'sealed the deal' for me.
The Bad: the only 'bad' issue for me is the security issue announced Monday. It only affects corporate (or perhaps university) settings but it does affect me. And since we're a BYOD location, my IT guys have no idea how to do the 'fix' Microsoft recommends. So for now - to be completely safe - I can't use Wifi at work. But to be fair, my BB couldn't connect either! (but for a different issue).

Yipcanjo

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Forums are full of problems. It doesn't matter whether it's forums for WP, or Android, or iPhone, or BB, or Chrysler, or Walmart, or Lennox, or... We tend to complain when things don't work, but don't say much when it's going well. That's human nature. Also if we're having problems we need to let others know so we can get help. You should be able to try it for 14 days and return it if you don't like it.

^^this

Go to an iPhone forum and see how many folks are raving about how "nothing is going wrong" :)

emptyfish

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Another satisfied 925 user here, I'm on week three with no issues. I am not an app junkie, but I found good wp8 versions or alternatives for every application that I consider a must have.

Sent from my Lumia 925 using Tapatalk

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
^^this

Go to an iPhone forum and see how many folks are raving about how "nothing is going wrong" :)

Correct, nothing is perfect! Although it does seem like iMore has less problem threads, unless it has to do with jailbreaking. I own phones from all 3 platforms, and in my experience the iPhone supports the idea that it "just works." I've had a Nexus 4 since December 2012 and it is every bit as stable and fast as my iPhone 5. I've now had 4 Lumias, and they're good too. I have some issues though, mostly when I try to implement workarounds to cover for missing features. It's as good as the others if I just use it as intended.

liechmaster

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
thank You all for post, now i know that there exists lumias without problems ; ).
As i wrote before, and You agree with that, we complain when something doesn't work and stay quite when it works correctly (human nature). I looked into 925 forum and then on 720, you can clearly see that on 720 there is less posts about problems, more about questions, functions, apps. that is why i was initially scared. (percentage of problem posts to questions, functionality posts).

As some wrote, some issues was addressed in last software update. i will probably wait a month or so, to see if there is no new issues and jump on 925 wagon. (also 925 just arrived to my country, so i will let the price go down a little : ) ).

dosto

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I have had my 925 for several weeks now and have had no problems with it at all. I really like it a lot. The build quality is excellent, the OS is smooth and the battery life is quite good as well.

I am a long time Blackberry user - still use the Q10 as my main device - but recently switched my secondary phone from Android to Windows, because I started using Office365 at work.

Considering your use case scenario, I think you will be very happy with the 925. The 925 is a quality device and will be big step up from the iP4 and GS3mini.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Ok two weeks with this L925 coming from an HTC HD7. The L925 is wow factor all over and I'm finding that the camera and using Pro shot the results have been amazing, the device hasn't given me any issues other than it seams to me that power connector is a tad ruff the cable doesn't just slip in you have to rather push it down hard.... operation wise so far flawless.

fitcious

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Quick question. I know that for win8, when you long press the back arrow it shows the open programs...but how do you close them? Thanks

raccoon210

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Quick question. I know that for win8, when you long press the back arrow it shows the open programs...but how do you close them? Thanks

you really don't have to close them but if you do want to you just keep pressing the back button to exit out of all the apps

andynew89

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I had my L925 for the last 2 months and I'm extremely happy with it. I used to have iPhone 4, Samsung Galaxy 2 & 3 and I'll tell you L925 is killing them ;-)

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
925 battery is not really lasting. My 925 can last only ~1day 4hrs on very casual usage. But when you are using it more for Whatsapp, camera, Facebook, you will see the battery drop pretty quickly. Someone mentioned using the airplane mode trick will perhaps solve the issue. But don't count too much on it imo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon