Build Quality

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Trust me, you're not alone. I was on 928 #7 and finally threw in the towel. While I'm sure there are some out there that have good build quality, I didn't get any of them. Almost all of them had the loud and rattling vibration motor and even when I thought I had a good one, within a week it got loud and rattled. Not to mention the backlit buttons on all of mine were messed up and I had the case creak on almost all of them as well. Not to mention some had the glass separated from the bezel to the point of letting dust in.

I'm really not saying this to be negative, but I was completely disappointed and underwhelmed with the Nokia build quality on this phone. People can say what they want about Samsung's "plasticky" phones, but my S4 is completely solid, smooth vibrator, doesn't creak, buttons are solid and bright white and no blemishes on the overall build quality. Regardless of the perceived build quality of the 928, the S4 feels much better to me.

Other than the defects and blemishes, the 928 is a fantastic phone. I really liked WP8 overall as well minus a few gripes. I really hope you get the 928 that you deserve!

+1
My 920 is creaky and has a rattling vibrator. There's dust in the front camera too as well as in the ear piece which ruins the audio when on a call.
My S 3 feels solid though and has none of the build quality issues the 920 has. I'm amazed that Nokia have allowed the same production quality (or lack of) to extend to the 928 as well. It's no wonder they're on their knees if this is how they do business these days.

When Nokia made their own handsets, in their own factories, none of these issues would come up. Sure, there would be the odd defective phone which is to be expected but to have these horrible little niggles and annoyances from what can only be a cheap manufacturing process without robust quality control in place can only spell disaster for Nokia and their reputation.

cybodroid

May 27, 2013
Visit site
My vibrate rattles slightly as well, which has rendered that feature unusable for me. The volume controls, however, are very good and the lowest setting (01/30) is actually quiet, unlike other phones I've had where the lowest setting was actually too loud so I wasn't able to use those features either. Turning the volume higher is also nice and gradual compared to other phones (mainly Samsung, including their TVs) where there would be a sharp increase in loudness going from one level to another.

It's a fair trade off for me.

Last edited:

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I have an 808 and 920, both have been excellent phones with no hardware issues. I have another friend with a 920 and no complaints about it as well.

graffia274

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I had the creaking issue on my 1st White 928. When I rubbed my finger across the bottom I would hear this strange creaking noise, it was annoying enough for me to exchange it. The replacement has been great, no issues whatsoever.

techgeek32#WN

Jul 11, 2008
Visit site
Did you ever get a working 928, or have you given up?

I am on my 12th one right now. It is black and was able to purchase at a local Verizon store. I don't have the gunk on my Windows button, but the lighting behind it is yellow and very dim. The vibrate is really weak and suffers from some of the slight rattling that others are complaining about. I don't use vibrate much so that is not a huge deal breaker for me. I recently purchased an S4 and I have an older Note 2. I am running all three through extreme testing to decide which to keep. The S4 has perfect build quality but is lacking the smoothness of the 928 and my Note 2. The camera on the S4 is excellent and rivals the 928, but most of the new Samsung bloatware are just gimmicks and don't really make a users life easier. Both web browsers (Chrome, Android) on the S4 don't work with Flash. Have to use Firefox or Dolphin to use Flash. I don't really want to have 3 browsers on my phone just to get a feature that one browser on my Note 2 has.

This 928 is probably acceptable to keep past the return period, just have to decide if I want to accept the shortcomings of WP8 and be patient or come back to it next year if they add the features in that I need. The fact that Microsoft removed their YouTube app really has me hating Google, but I am sure there are many instances where Microsoft protects its software in the same manner.

Elvis7

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
This is an amazing thread.

4 928's?

7?

12???

I can not for the life of me imagine that many bad phones in a row. That would push me back to a flip phone. Wow.

I went through 4 l920s red before rogers allowed the refund and cancelation of my 3 year renewal contract. I then bought a used HTC 8x and has no issues until I found out the phone was involved in a crim investigation and the police seized it.lost the phone nd the money.. Now I'm borrowing a galaxy s2 and I hate it sooooo much but at least it doesn't lockup turn off and not turn on, have yellow keys,creek and a horrible battery life.. And all of those were present with all 4 lumias... Waiting for the eos to get back into a contract.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
This is an amazing thread.

4 928's?

7?

12???

I can not for the life of me imagine that many bad phones in a row. That would push me back to a flip phone. Wow.

Yeah, it's bizarre every time I see threads or posts where someone says they've replaced their phone multiple times. I've had 8 cell phones since my first one in 2002 and have only replaced one, my Nokia E73 Mode back in 2011 because it kept rejecting its microSD card. Turned out that was some weird thing that was unique to that particular phone. Other than that, I've never replaced a phone, ever, nor have I had to.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes