can i really not leave the 928 on the charger?

feeked

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
so in the handbook that came with the phone, and the tag on the charger, they both say to not leave the phone charging or to unplug it when it's finished charging. i had thought that this overcharging thing had been figured out a long time ago. i always just plug my phone in when i go to sleep, so this is sort of a problem

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
It's very obvious that the phone stops charging when it is full even when plugged in/on pad because it goes from being hot to room temperature. Probably just some legacy legalese.

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
The chemistry of current rechargeable batteries is far better than in the past. Ni-Cads were notorious for their quirks; overcharging and draining were the main issues. The lithium-polymer batteries used today are far more forgiving, and the charging circuitry does a better job of sensing battery condition and adjusting.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, they're just covering their butts. If you look at the wireless chargers, they have a light to indicate that they're charging. It goes out after charged fully. I built a wireless charger into the monitor stand on my desk at work, and leave my phone on it all the time.

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, they're just covering their butts. If you look at the wireless chargers, they have a light to indicate that they're charging. It goes out after charged fully. I built a wireless charger into the monitor stand on my desk at work, and leave my phone on it all the time.
Nice idea care to post a pic :)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Here's the video. I don't have pics of the under-side, but could take one Monday if I feel like moving my monitors off of it for the pic... :wink:

Basically, I used a keyhole router bit, routed out the right size for the charging plate, then used a plain bit to route out an area adjacent so I could put the charging plate "into" the wood, then slide it into the correctly fitted slot. Also, used the keyhole bit and made a "curvy" channel for the cord. Curvy, so that the tension of the cord trying to stay straight would cause it to stay "in" the slot.

[video]http://sdrv.ms/1bxzZxF[/video]

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I use mine as my bedside clock overnight on the charger without issue. I don't think there are any real problems. As Hopmedic said, they're just covering their butts.

Joel S.

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Here's the video. I don't have pics of the under-side, but could take one Monday if I feel like moving my monitors off of it for the pic... :wink:

Basically, I used a keyhole router bit, routed out the right size for the charging plate, then used a plain bit to route out an area adjacent so I could put the charging plate "into" the wood, then slide it into the correctly fitted slot. Also, used the keyhole bit and made a "curvy" channel for the cord. Curvy, so that the tension of the cord trying to stay straight would cause it to stay "in" the slot.

[video]http://sdrv.ms/1bxzZxF[/url]

Here's a video of a guy modifying a nightstand. Same basic principle, not really for the feint of heart though. Worth noting, guy in vid used a chisel considering not everyone has a router and chisels are fairly cheap.
DIY Qi Wireless Charging Nightstand (cheap, quick and easy) - YouTube

And just to echo what some have already said, Nokia is just covering their ****. If the overcharge circuitry fails, it can get messy, so they're just putting an "I warned you" in there so they can't be held liable for damages.

Fear the Cubans

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure every phone has said that for years. The problem is not overcharging (assuming you are using the original charger).
I'm fairly sure the problem is with the constant "refilling" of the battery. So the charger will fully charge, then cut off. But the phone will do its normal thing of check for emails, update weather, and whatever else you have syncing, and the battery will wear down a small amount. The charger then recognizes its not fully charged anymore, and charge it back up. Its that small up and down movement all night every night is what they are wanting you to avoid. Wears on the battery over time.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I thought it's better to keep lithiums topped off? I wish there was an authoritative site on this subject... it seems like every article you read says something different. Very frustrating.

This is one of the reasons I wish modern phones always had replaceable batteries.

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Hey Hop....how did you get that customized message on your lock screen ?

[video]http://sdrv.ms/1bxzZxF[/url]

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey Hop....how did you get that customized message on your lock screen ?

Lost Phone Screen app, by Scott Hanselman. If you're a developer in the Microsoft stack, you know who he is.
Lost Phone Screen - a simple customizable windows phone 7 or 8 lock screen

How he wrote the app:
From Concept to Code in 6 hours: Shipping my first Windows Phone App - Scott Hanselman

It's been around for a long time - I used it on my Trophy going way back. Now it is WP8 enabled (though I haven't explored that)

larrymcj

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
It's very obvious that the phone stops charging when it is full even when plugged in/on pad because it goes from being hot to room temperature. Probably just some legacy legalese.

I agree. I leave mine on the Nokia Fat Boy charging pillow all the time and when it's finished charging, it actually makes a sound and the display turns on. So I don't think this is a problem at all.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm fairly sure the problem is with the constant "refilling" of the battery. So the charger will fully charge, then cut off. But the phone will do its normal thing of check for emails, update weather, and whatever else you have syncing, and the battery will wear down a small amount. The charger then recognizes its not fully charged anymore, and charge it back up. Its that small up and down movement all night every night is what they are wanting you to avoid. Wears on the battery over time.

That doesn't make sense. Why draw power from the battery while plugged in? The only drain on the battery while the phone is plugged into a power source should be its natural tendency to lose charge over time, which should be slight enough that leaving it plugged in overnight causes few if any charge cycles beyond the initial charge. One would hope, anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3