Pics and Videos taken with your Lumia 930!

amdybg40

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
I've literally just ordered the Samsung Galaxy S5 LTE-A from Korea, as I want to see what the QHD with 805 processor is all about. I had the G3 for a while but returned it as the battery life was shocking and it was slooooow to use, the QHD definitely was not an improvement on the device over the G2, despite what the reviews say.

I haven't had a Sammy since the S3, so I'm keen to see how it performs, especially the camera which is meant to be pretty good on the normal S5.

Last edited:

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
It's amazing that with all the bells and whistles of the 930 and other android devices, Apple still has it just right. Yes the photos taken on a 1020/930 should and could be better than the 5s but really unless you play with the manual controls it's almost difficult to tell.

Looks like I'm going to have to sell my 930 and wait for the iphone 6. I have been very underwhelmed by the photo quality, not too mention the purplish display issue

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My feelings exactly. I really wanted this to be the device (the 930) that would pull me away from Apple. Looks like the iPhone 6 may be my next device come September, well once i get my refund for the 930 lol.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
All on auto mode, i did not touch any settings at all. I thought that would be a fairer comparison. And tbh its show most consumers will use their device - point, snap, look at pic.
L930 photos are a bit on colder side aren't they ? At least compared to iPhone 5S.

It could be that because of the yellow wood surface, the 930 might have selected a colder white balance (thinking that the lighting was incandescent). Color aside, the iPhone's pictures do have more noise than the 930's.

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
All on auto mode, i did not touch any settings at all. I thought that would be a fairer comparison. And tbh its show most consumers will use their device - point, snap, look at pic.

Well in fact I do like colder colors so that wouldn't really bothered me. If I had this phone :).

And someone was mentioning Galaxy S5, had it for 14 days and camera was good at day but I expected more from it at the night. But it was fast taking a pic, I give it that.

Martin87

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
What's the better Camera app to use? Nokia Camera or the stock Microsoft one? I understand the Nokia one has a lot more settings available but still interested if anyone has any opinions on this or comparison photos!

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Guys, Iphone tends to overexpose in automode.

So if you want and like overexposed pics, just slide up the EV / Brightness slide on Nokia Camera to +0.7.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Do you guys think my camera is faulty or is this all the 930 can do? Using NCPB @ 5mpx auto settings with focus light on Auto.

@MrWhiteman: While there's no way for me to know your exact lighting condition, I noticed that many of these indoor shots were taken at rather high ISO (800 and above), and slow shutter was used (1/10s or slower). This suggests that the lighting condition is not exactly ideal, even though to your eyes it may (deceptively) appear to be bright. Such conditions are generally quite challenging to any cameraphone or even point-and-shoot cameras, and the 930 is no exception.

I don't think the 930 is intended to be a low-light powerhouse (with its f/2.4 aperture) compared to the 920/925. But with the larger sensor and oversampling I don't think it is any worse either. I would like to see further comparisons between the 920 and 930, but it is important to ensure that the exposure time is well-controlled. The 920/925 has a stronger tendency to use low ISO and slow shutter speed, while the 1520/1020 had stronger tendency to use a faster shutter speed and higher ISO. That is just the default behaviour and doesn't really reflect the camera's true capabilities. For someone with steady hands, the 920/925's auto behaviour would be perfect and lead to higher quality images. For someone with shaky hands, the 920/925's may have more blur.

As pointed out by some, with the 930 you have the option to manually set a very slow shutter (possibly even more than 1s) thanks to the excellent OIS to keep your camera stable, and this will yield excellent result by keeping ISO low. Under such circumstances, Nijaz had shown that the 930 can produce even better lowlight pictures than the 920, despite having a smaller aperture.

One thing that I hope Nokia will provide, is the ability to save our pre-set custom settings. Proshot provides this functionality which is very useful. If I need to snap something quick, I have that custom setting pinned on my home screen for easy access.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
@MrWhiteman: While there's no way for me to know your exact lighting condition, I noticed that many of these indoor shots were taken at rather high ISO (800 and above), and slow shutter was used (1/10s or slower). This suggests that the lighting condition is not exactly ideal, even though to your eyes it may (deceptively) appear to be bright. Such conditions are generally quite challenging to any cameraphone or even point-and-shoot cameras, and the 930 is no exception.

I don't think the 930 is intended to be a low-light powerhouse (with its f/2.4 aperture) compared to the 920/925. But with the larger sensor and oversampling I don't think it is any worse either. I would like to see further comparisons between the 920 and 930, but it is important to ensure that the exposure time is well-controlled. The 920/925 has a stronger tendency to use low ISO and slow shutter speed, while the 1520/1020 had stronger tendency to use a faster shutter speed and higher ISO. That is just the default behaviour and doesn't really reflect the camera's true capabilities. For someone with steady hands, the 920/925's auto behaviour would be perfect and lead to higher quality images. For someone with shaky hands, the 920/925's may have more blur.

As pointed out by some, with the 930 you have the option to manually set a very slow shutter (possibly even more than 1s) thanks to the excellent OIS to keep your camera stable, and this will yield excellent result by keeping ISO low. Under such circumstances, Nijaz had shown that the 930 can produce even better lowlight pictures than the 920, despite having a smaller aperture.

One thing that I hope Nokia will provide, is the ability to save our pre-set custom settings. Proshot provides this functionality which is very useful. If I need to snap something quick, I have that custom setting pinned on my home screen for easy access.

It's not a 1520/930 behaviour. It's Nokia behaviour after Black Update. But it seems a lot worst on 930/1520, with even more higher ISO. And that's pretty bad, since there's no sense in ISO above 800.

And shutter speed above 0.3s need a very steady hand. I don't recommend 1s shutter speed if no tripod are available. 1/4 or below it's just fine.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
It's not a 1520/930 behaviour. It's Nokia behaviour after Black Update. But it seems a lot worst on 930/1520, with even more higher ISO. And that's pretty bad, since there's no sense in ISO above 800.

And shutter speed above 0.3s need a very steady hand. I don't recommend 1s shutter speed if no tripod are available. 1/4 or below it's just fine.

Higher ISO + slow shutter would severely overexpose the image. It is usually one versus the other (i.e. high ISO + fast shutter, or low ISO + slow shutter).

KPAkiller

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
2 questions pls..
1. nokia camera app says it saves images in 5mp+16mp.what does this mean? I have only one image saved and how do i know whether it is the 5mp image or 16mp image?
2.What is the difference between 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratio?Does 16:9 give better quality photos?

Download the "files" app from the store. Under pictures you will find 2 copies of the same image. The larger 16/19 mpx image will be larger in MB.

But remember the 5mp image is oversampled. Meaning the detail is naturally sharpened combining the large pixels of the 5mp image with the finer pixels of the 19 mp version.

realj42

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
As for comparing the 930/1520 (I am assuming they have the exact same camera) against the iphone 5s take a look at this review page which compares the two in a controlled low light situation.

Image Quality Compared (Low Light) 5MP: Nokia Lumia 1520 camera review: Connect

The lumia blows the Iphone away here. Granted this is a highly controlled shot but it shows what it is capable of. It's this review which convinced me to go with the 930 for its camera capabilities - plus of course all the great photos in this thread :)

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
As for comparing the 930/1520 (I am assuming they have the exact same camera) against the iphone 5s take a look at this review page which compares the two in a controlled low light situation.

Image Quality Compared (Low Light) 5MP: Nokia Lumia 1520 camera review: Connect

The lumia blows the Iphone away here. Granted this is a highly controlled shot but it shows what it is capable of. It's this review which convinced me to go with the 930 for its camera capabilities - plus of course all the great photos in this thread :)

You can test away in a controlled environment. This DOES NOT represent real world use! Granted I've taken a couple of great pics in daytime. But when I'm home in evenings with my kids, the crap low light does not help at all!

Brian McMahon

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
A few under good light today. Have tried a few indoors but they aren't anything to write home about especially compared to my GS5. Where as the GS5 is razor sharp the 930 is producing really soft or out of focus shots.

View attachment 72735WP_20140721_09_49_00_Pro.jpgWP_20140721_14_53_46_Pro.jpgWP_20140721_15_33_17_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
As requested, some samples of iPhone 5S and Lumia 930. Photos were taken in auto mode on both devices, mainly as the iPhone does not have any other modes lol :)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s4n3k5l1fuf6dg6/AAA3iO45a9U9Q7QxgNoyl5JJa

_iOS = iPhone 5S image.
_WP = Windows Phone image.

I will take a few more later, and add to this folder.

Updated iPhone ones marked _iOS, Windows Phone marked with WP. includes the hi-res Windows Phone images.

Also some have the flash on for both WP and IOS. :)

I used my sons toys as they are bright and colourful. To me the iPhone 5s produces better point and shoot images. But more advanced daytime photos would be best done with the 930.

Thinking I may return my 930 as its just not good enough, or anywhere near what was advertised. If MSFT sort the heat and purple tint issues id be tempted to come back, but I would be more cautious in future.

Last edited:

Brian McMahon

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site

Attachments

• WP_20140721_09_43_33_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140721_09_43_33_Pro.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 31
  • WP_20140721_15_13_19_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140721_15_13_19_Pro.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 34
  • WP_20140721_003.jpg
    WP_20140721_003.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 30

amdybg40

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Updated iPhone ones marked _iOS, Windows Phone marked with WP. includes the hi-res Windows Phone images.

Also some have the flash on for both WP and IOS. :)

I used my sons toys as they are bright and colourful. To me the iPhone 5s produces better point and shoot images. But more advanced daytime photos would be best done with the 930.

Thinking I may return my 930 as its just not good enough, or anywhere near what was advertised. If MSFT sort the heat and purple tint issues id be tempted to come back, but I would be more cautious in future.

I know that this doesn't help the cause and will be frowned upon, but i've been doing some camera research and you can't ignore this thread

Share your Galaxy S5 camera photos, videos, and thoughts! - Page 2 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I know that this doesn't help the cause and will be frowned upon, but i've been doing some camera research and you can't ignore this thread

Share your Galaxy S5 camera photos, videos, and thoughts! - Page 2 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Not frowned upon here. It produces some gorgeous pics all round. Now if only it was not a Samsung or Android lol

Look I do like WP, its the best OS I think. But as a whole the hardware lets it down. And the 930 has not helped. I will be returning mine for a full refund.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo