Lumia 930|W10M users I need your help urgently!

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
if you don't want to send for repairs, you can always get an external mic (I have one that I bought for my android tablet) and record video and youll get stereo oudio because when you plug in the mic, it will bypass onboard 4 mic array.

I definitely won't be sending my 930 to Care Point. It's my only device to connect with internet, both my PC & laptop are broken. I keep all my notes on my Lumia and use Office on the go. :)

All affected users (including me) have to wait for appropriate firmware/drivers update and sound should be working again on videos.

Probably they will release official Windows 10 Mobile bundled with appropriate firmware/drivers update (if necessary).

In my country Lumia 930 is in the first wave of devices to get Windows10 (CV).

As for now W10M can't make use of Rich Sound Capture with surround microphones, that's why I can't record **** with my L930 :D

Thanks for the tip about external mic, but:

*I'm fine with iPhone earphones if it comes to voice recording

*Video recording should be okay as soon as mentioned fine-tuning update will be pushed.

Last edited:

deepak12345

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I definitely won't be sending my 930 to Care Point. It's my only device to connect with internet, both my PC & laptop are broken. I keep all my notes on my Lumia and use Office on the go. :)

All affected users (including me) have to wait for appropriate firmware/drivers update and sound should be working again on videos.

Probably they will release official Windows 10 Mobile bundled with appropriate firmware/drivers update (if necessary).

In my country Lumia 930 is in the first wave of devices to get Windows10 (CV).

As for now W10M can't make use of Rich Sound Capture with surround microphones, that's why I can't record **** with my L930 :D

Thanks for the tip about external mic, but:

*I'm fine with iPhone earphones if it comes to voice recording

*Video recording should be okay as soon as mentioned fine-tuning update will be pushed.

I read about cortana not working too on the new build and text to speech for 930. Hope they get that back to how it was on 8.1 too. :/

bells0

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Tried W10 for first time. No sound recorded in video. Cortanan cant hear to use 'hey cortana'. So frustrating, quite liked the 10 experience. Currently going back to 8.1

Oh, and double tap to wake doesn't work in 10 either.

monedetoune

May 17, 2013
Visit site
you have a broken mic 3or4 / 3&4. software/firmware/driver update Will Not fix the physically broken mic. denim killed your mic. trust me. use nokia PST and put your phone to service mode and it WILL definitely indicate that mics 3&4 not recording any feedback = mics broken. as found in several threads, it is a hardware failure.

p/s: I advice you to backup your stuff and send it for rma.

deepak12345

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
you have a broken mic 3or4 / 3&4. software/firmware/driver update Will Not fix the physically broken mic. denim killed your mic. trust me. use nokia PST and put your phone to service mode and it WILL definitely indicate that mics 3&4 not recording any feedback = mics broken. as found in several threads, it is a hardware failure.

I guess nearly everyone in this thread has that problem . Have u repaired Ur's? How long does it take. I'm in India and i don't think the Nokia care or ms device care here are pretty good. At least in my area

monedetoune

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I guess nearly everyone in this thread has that problem . Have u repaired Ur's? How long does it take. I'm in India and i don't think the Nokia care or ms device care here are pretty good. At least in my area

it took 3 months more or less because even the replacement parts were defective. I just hope you guys have better luck. finally due to parts shortage, they just gave me a new phone

deepak12345

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
it took 3 months more or less because even the replacement parts were defective. I just hope you guys have better luck. finally due to parts shortage, they just gave me a new phone

Nd now even the phones are out of stock :3 :/ . So no idea when they'll give back. And yea which month did u give it was it before stocks started depleting? Idk if I can get mine repaired :/. Don't have a spare phone for using if it takes too long too :/

Last edited:

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site

Okay, thanks for suggestion. I've tested it today. Indeed, 3&4 mic don't record any sound... (SADLY) I see no other option, than visiting MS Care Point. Hope to get my phone back before XMAS.

EDIT: I couldn't stop thinking about it. 3&4 mic don't work on WIN10 while recording video and also in self-test mode. Rolled back to 8.1/Denim and found out that indeed.... 3&4 mic aren't working in self-test mode... but they do WORK while recording.

That's nothing new, I said earlier that everything seems to be fine on 8.1, and don't on 10. Decided to investigate further.

The problem is that 3rd and 4th microphones ARE NOT working while phone is charging. Otherwise both mics are working properly on 8.1.

That's why 3rd & 4th will ALWAYS fail self-test, because device is charging while plugged into PC.
I have no idea WHY.

PS. Both front microphones are working well in self-test mode, especially the one used for cortana and speaker mode.... Surprisingly this particular one is not working while device is up and running.

Whole this microphone story is a huge mess. Everything seems to be fine with microphones itself, both front mics are working in self-test mode, both back microphones are working on 8.1.

I give up ;). It's so complicated that I wouldn't be able to explain this to people who engineered the Lumia 930. Thanks for all the answers.

Last edited:

monedetoune

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Okay, thanks for suggestion. I've tested it today. Indeed, 3&4 mic don't record any sound... (SADLY) I see no other option, than visiting MS Care Point. Hope to get my phone back before XMAS.

EDIT: I couldn't stop thinking about it. 3&4 mic don't work on WIN10 while recording video and also in self-test mode. Rolled back to 8.1/Denim and found out that indeed.... 3&4 mic aren't working in self-test mode... but they do WORK while recording.

That's nothing new, I said earlier that everything seems to be fine on 8.1, and don't on 10. Decided to investigate further.

The problem is that 3rd and 4th microphones ARE NOT working while phone is charging. Otherwise both mics are working properly on 8.1.

That's why 3rd & 4th will ALWAYS fail self-test, because device is charging while plugged into PC.
I have no idea WHY.

PS. Both front microphones are working well in self-test mode, especially the one used for cortana and speaker mode.... Surprisingly this particular one is not working while device is up and running.

Whole this microphone story is a huge mess. Everything seems to be fine with microphones itself, both front mics are working in self-test mode, both back microphones are working on 8.1.

I give up ;). It's so complicated that I wouldn't be able to explain this to people who engineered the Lumia 930. Thanks for all the answers.

I think it has something to do with the grounding of the mics. some people have success in fixing it just by "short-circuiting" by plugging in earphones, some changed to a new mic and I personally had my mobo changed 3 times before service center call it quits and gave me a new phone. all in all points out to hardware failure *in my opinion.
p/s try using a grounded usb cable (not every usb cable is created equal, the expensive ones are expensive for a reason) and try self test again. hope things will work out on your end. happy holidays bub.

Julius Velasco

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm also having the same issue with my Lumia 930. I've tried restoring to 8.1 then test the video audio issue (setting is Surround enabled in Lumia Camera) and the audio is working fine (all mics are working). after testing that everything is working, I've upgraded to W10M 10586. retest the video audio issue and found that the sound is very very low in Windows Camera and only one mic is working (near the mouth) . Did a hard reset but still the same issue.

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
My 2nd mic is totally dead now. Both on speaker and in-call. Tested on 8.1 and 10. Going to replace it. I can't fix it under warranty as I've dropped my phone and had to replace back cover on my own. 50$. 3-5 days

abhirajsoni

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
More numbers of faulty mic users are appearing now. Obviously many of them upgraded to w10 where mic problem goes worse. This is quite frustrating.

Sent from mTalk

deepak12345

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site

About to be 20 days since i gave mine. Gave mine in a device care near me they sent it to the main one but the repair status still shows the phone has not even reached the main repair centre :/

deepak12345

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
You can tell it on 8.1 just by putting your call on loudspeaker mode.

Sent from mTalk
I guess he ment the firmware might fix the extra problems of mic that comes with windows 10 like not being able to record audio on video at all or not being able to use Cortana. That's what i think.

WallOfShame

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I gave my L930 for repair at Nokia Care at Koramangala in Bangalore. They tested it and sent it to head office where it stayed for 15 days and was returned to me. The mics now work fine. They said it was some motherboard issue which was repaired. That means, there was some hardware issue and definitely not a software bug. But it is not pretty clear whether they replaced the mics or just did some mic to motherboard connections. The guys at Nokia Care are not very knowledgeable. They also lost my SIM card holder tray.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb