Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SafeSchoolsCzar

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I really can't mess with the DP as my Icon is my primary work phone and even though there aren't any restrictions on it, I can't take a chance of screwing it up for the simple fact that I need it to work well every day. Having said that, I'm fine on 8.0 and I don't have any technical issues. There are only two things I hate about the Icon which I don't think will be fixed in the updates. The vibration is so low I can only feel it vibrate if it's in my hand instead of my pocket. The 2nd is I'm hard of hearing and the volume through headphones for music at 30 is probably what my HTC 8x was on 10. I actually have to use a Boostaroo in-line amplifier to hear music and to talk on the phone with my headphones. I don't think either of them will be fixed in either Cyan or Denim.

I do want 8.1 because I want Cortana and a lot of the new apps coming out will not run on 8.0, including Wunderlist, some of the new games reviewed on this site and I believe the fitness apps as well. By not moving to 8.1, they are hurting developers, less people are using and talking about Cortana and Microsoft is at a critical juncture where if we like their OS, we have to promote it, especially in the US. I work for a division of MS so I'm stuck on MS products, but I truly want to see WP kick A$$ because I can't stand Google or Apple. BTW...I'm absolutely convinced that we're going straight to Denim as I said before based on Nokia's Twitter responses and the original VZW page for the Icon stated it was 8.1 ready and that has been removed. I won't be patient but I have no choice but to wait.

There...I'm done venting until I can complain about issues with Denim when we get to replace 8.0 in 4 months or so.

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
That really stinks VZW hasn't pushed out the update, for it being a flagship phone, they really should have done at least one phone by now...

anon(8503161)

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Yea because your running the DP and for the most part everyone in this thread is. There is a TON of people, if not most owners of the ICON that do not even know about the DP. They get to see all the ads on TV about Cortana and everything else but, I have a ICON where the "F" is my update and they are sitting on 8.0 GDR3....

And some of us have issues with 8.1 DP, like my over heating problem on my phone...

So, chill out, if you don't want to hear about the update or about how people want the update, THEN DONT READ THE THREAD.

Overheating? Enough to shut the thing down or just enough to be uncomfortable to hold?

SoapBox3000

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
what is odd tho is that on the nokia website for the lumia icon it says that cyan update is under testing right now and it has been for a couple weeks now.

anon(9079832)

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
That really stinks VZW hasn't pushed out the update, for it being a flagship phone, they really should have done at least one phone by now...

You can't really expect too much from little ol' Verizon. This US based carrier can't really be expected to compete with carriers in markets like Yemen, Albania and Honduras who already have Cyan/8.1.

Verizon's intern will get around to it when he can. There are many donut/coffee/cleaners trips for all these Verizon management prima donnas that take up all his time. Relax, he will actually get to work on that software update thingy soon.

donebrasko

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Tomorrow is Friday... I really thought last Monday was the day. If not tomorrow then we have to wait another weekend

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Tomorrow is Friday... I really thought last Monday was the day. If not tomorrow then we have to wait another weekend

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

We are only at page 21...I said 30.... Anyway, I would not count on getting it tomorrow....

Think I would rather wait at this point another 2-3 weeks if we will get Denim as well. After all the BS we have been waiting for just to get Cyan, do you really want to get Cyan and have to wait for Cortana listening in the background, 4K video recording, faster camera ?

I just picture this thread with 500+ posts like this one if we have to wait.... as I was thinking about starting "Official Nokia/Microsoft Denim watch for the ICON" thread....as if we don't get it in the next update, that is where we ALL will be...

Screw you Verizon for making us wait so long..... you s.u.c.k.

Overheating? Enough to shut the thing down or just enough to be uncomfortable to hold?

No, not enough to shut it down but, if I let it go for 15 min or so while using it, it is actually too hot to hold... After about 7-10 it gets very uncomfortable to hold.

I like to play games...I stopped on this phone because playing them after 3-5 min causes the same as browsing facebook/twitter for about 10...

People have said a hard reset helps with that and fixed it for people but, I'm not losing all my game saves 2 times (I want to hard reset after getting Cyan/Denim)

Joseph Anthony2

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Has ANYONE on Verizon gotten atleast the windows 8.1 update for the icon? I'm still on W8 and while I love it, I just wanna play with Cortana! (and I'm sure she wants to play too)

absonj

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Hate to say this, but I e had no luck when it comes to Verizon updates. The last phone I had was the Thunderbolt (prior to 8X) and they didn't release any updates for that phone until it became so outdated, that no one was left to get it! Now, here we go again. Its a good thing I still love my Icon!
sent from my wicked fast n buttery smooth Lunia Icon

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Has ANYONE on Verizon gotten atleast the windows 8.1 update for the icon? I'm still on W8 and while I love it, I just wanna play with Cortana! (and I'm sure she wants to play too)

Yes. There are several of us running WP 8.1 Update 1 (DP). You need to download the preview for developers app and register with that to get it though. Once VZW pumps out the OTA, you'll get Cyan... hopefully before this thread gets to 25 pages.

Joseph Anthony2

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Yes. There are several of us running WP 8.1 Update 1 (DP). You need to download the preview for developers app and register with that to get it though. Once VZW pumps out the OTA, you'll get Cyan... hopefully before this thread gets to 25 pages.

Thanks Tim.

I had heard about the DP but I was wondering if anyone had been sent the update from verizon to their phone. I went to the Microsoft store about 3 weeks ago and she said verizon was sending out little by little to not flood the network. Was wondering if anyone had gotten that official update from VZ

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Tim.

I had heard about the DP but I was wondering if anyone had been sent the update from verizon to their phone. I went to the Microsoft store about 3 weeks ago and she said verizon was sending out little by little to not flood the network. Was wondering if anyone had gotten that official update from VZ

Interesting. Based on the rants... err...talk over on the VZW forums, NOBODY has the official VZW WP8.1/Cyan yet. If they were rolling it out little by little, you'd think somebody there or here in WPCentral would have said something by now.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Tim.

Reps know NOTHING. We in these forums and the staff at WP Central know more than they do in 99.9% of the cases. Verizon will not trickle it out like that and if they did someone on this forum would know. Not to flood the network? Yeah I'm sure the massive amount of Icon owners would be a problem... ;)

Last edited:

absonj

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Guys, just spoke with someone running the 8X with 8.1 on Verizon, and was curious. I am running 8.1 officially on my work 1520, and absolutely love it (yea swipe, I missed you!). But am leary about installing the Developers preview on the Icon. I understand it MAY be buggy, laggy, kill battery, etc. But can anyone tell me if its better to wait for the official, or just jump right in and see what happens? Coming from rooting Androids, and my wifes 'must reach me' need, she is so happy that I can't 'root' Windows. Will installing the DP make it difficult for my wife to get ahold of me?

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Well I went back to 8.0 last night to see if I can keep a consistent WIFI connection at home, better battery and if NFL Mobile by Verizon app will work correctly. Wow, there are quite few apps that I had installed that are 8.1 and I can't get back. Metromail is giving me the fluxes, can't turn on live tile notifications, keeps giving me an error and won't go out and get new email. NFL Mobile gives me an error on launch that it can't connect to the server to link my account so I can't even get into the app. Besides that and missing Cortana, notification center, desktop wallpaper, lack screen beta, etc. it works just fine. lol. Anyways I'll stay on 8.0 for a week and see if any of the issues I had are improved or the same before I go back to DP, while crossing my fingers that Verizon releases Cyan before I do.

anon(8503161)

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Well I went back to 8.0 last night to see if I can keep a consistent WIFI connection at home, better battery and if NFL Mobile by Verizon app will work correctly. Wow, there are quite few apps that I had installed that are 8.1 and I can't get back. Metromail is giving me the fluxes, can't turn on live tile notifications, keeps giving me an error and won't go out and get new email. NFL Mobile gives me an error on launch that it can't connect to the server to link my account so I can't even get into the app. Besides that and missing Cortana, notification center, desktop wallpaper, lack screen beta, etc. it works just fine. lol. Anyways I'll stay on 8.0 for a week and see if any of the issues I had are improved or the same before I go back to DP, while crossing my fingers that Verizon releases Cyan before I do.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I've come back down to 8.0 and noticed much better WiFi reception, so I'll deal.

Chrono803

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

Just to double check my curiosity, those on the DP would still need to rollback to WP8 to get Cyan or has that been fixed for the Icon already for that not to be needed?

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Just to double check my curiosity, those on the DP would still need to rollback to WP8 to get Cyan or has that been fixed for the Icon already for that not to be needed?

Nobody knows, since the Icon hasn't even received an update. Let's hope that with this delay at least that would be something they have fixed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786